2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

The conditions are really nuts. The lack of support races has made it really hard to clean the new asphalt oils off the track.

Add to that the cold temps….

That caused a lot of drivers difficulties getting enough heat into their tires before their fast qually laps.

It’s still pretty frustrating tho. :(
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

It is what it is. If this is the only big slip up in the second half of this season, it's pretty phenomenal.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

I thought in the driver interviews both drivers seemed more bemused than upset. I guess Stella's comments explain further.

Strategy will be interesting. I'm hoping for some weird ones, and for a fun race.

mwillems

Mostlyeels wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 02:18
I thought in the driver interviews both drivers seemed more bemused than upset. I guess Stella's comments explain further.

Strategy will be interesting. I'm hoping for some weird ones, and for a fun race.
Because Stella was suggesting the drivers themselves in part made the choice to stay on the same set, I understood from that article. Though it was Piastri and not Stella suggesting Q3 was possible.

Car looked good for Q2 for sure, if they had changed tyres, but still a big gap to the front - Ferrari didn't pit for a second set, nor Max, and Leclerc was 1.1 seconds faster than us in Q1 and if you maintain that gap we would have not made Q3, but that is obviously not a hard and fast measure.

We will find out tomorrow what is possible in the race, we have come from the back of the grid once during this renaissance. I suspect if we could have made Q3 we'd be near the back. Anywhere between 10th and 14th would have been reasonable today, and still a big improvement from Friday. However, we were always going to struggle here in Q.

If we can get a good strategy and start in the race it can all still open as it has done several times for us.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I still think it was a Q3 car - but maybe not ideal on tyre use/warmup of the softs.

I am hopeful the team can slice through the field and give us an exciting race. It could/should be chaotic so that may help. Just need to keep it clean.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 07:57
I still think it was a Q3 car - but maybe not ideal on tyre use/warmup of the softs.

I am hopeful the team can slice through the field and give us an exciting race. It could/should be chaotic so that may help. Just need to keep it clean.
I’m hoping that the challenges in Qualifying will mean a better race… Bringing heat into the tires was a challenge in Qualy… But heating them up quickly could be a problem during the race… We are about to start, let’s hope for a good race

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 08:00
FittingMechanics wrote:

I’m hoping that the challenges in Qualifying will mean a better race… Bringing heat into the tires was a challenge in Qualy… But heating them up quickly could be a problem during the race… We are about to start, let’s hope for a good race
Lando on Medium, Oscar on Hards.

I'll be frustrated if this is one race that has VER DNF.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 08:02
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 08:00
FittingMechanics wrote:

Lando on Medium, Oscar on Hards.

I'll be frustrated if this is one race that has VER DNF.
All I’m hoping is a change of fortunes compared to Spa… We had a decent Qualy and poor race… Let’s hope it’s the other way around

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 08:05
All I’m hoping is a change of fortunes compared to Spa… We had a decent Qualy and poor race… Let’s hope it’s the other way around
Good point, Spa was painful.

Decent start by both cars.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 08:07
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 08:05
Good point, Spa was painful.

Decent start by both cars.
Qualifying problems almost negated with 12th and 13th… Now we have to race!

And yes… Maybe the team favored a race setup, let’s see how it unfolds

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Damn, Norris in the wall. Looked like a snap on his own.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Strange issue - he was full throttle in a curve and it spun around.

"Feedback, Lando lost it on the bump into Turn 12. Car bottoming out there."

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

How unfortunate for Lando… He just lost it

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 08:17
How unfortunate for Lando… He just lost it
Loaded car, a turn, loss of downforce due to bottoming out. This is what happens to ground effect cars.

Piastri going well - overtook Hulkenberg.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

We have a race car…. Wow… Already P7