Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

5.8.4 Once the exhaust tailpipes, the bodywork required by Article 3.8.4 and any apertures permitted by Article 3.8.5 have been fully defined there must be no bodywork lying within a right circular truncated cone which:
a) Shares a common axis with that of the last 100mm of the tailpipe.
b) Has a forward diameter equal to that of each exhaust exit.
c) Starts at the exit of the tailpipe and extends rearwards as far as the rear wheel centre line.
d) Has a half‐cone angle of 3° such that the cone has its larger diameter at the rear wheel centre line.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Thanks

Another challenge to the Conda Effect. Since the channel is round, the Conda Effect caused by the interaction of the exhaust flow and the channel is greatest at the bottom of the radius and progress to zero as you reach the side of the channel (90 deg). I am assuming that that focus of the Conda Effect is in vertical plan with the goal to bend the flow downward.

Brian

Carlo's
Carlo's

McLaren is checking airflow around diffuser:

Shrieker

They got a new(slightly different let's say) config at the exhaust bulge ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

beelsebob
beelsebob

Shrieker wrote:They got a new(slightly different let's say) config at the exhaust bulge ?
Do they? I don't see it, can you point out what you're seeing as different?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

beelsebob wrote:
Shrieker wrote:They got a new(slightly different let's say) config at the exhaust bulge ?
I don't think so, I believe it's just the angle the picture was taken.

Right click>view image

Banki
Banki

Has somebody got pictures about the developments?

shelly
shelly

hardingfv32 wrote:Thanks

Another challenge to the Conda Effect. Since the channel is round, the Conda Effect caused by the interaction of the exhaust flow and the channel is greatest at the bottom of the radius and progress to zero as you reach the side of the channel (90 deg). I am assuming that that focus of the Conda Effect is in vertical plan with the goal to bend the flow downward.

Brian
What do yo u mean when you say "challenge"? The Coanda effect applies to round jet also.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Shrieker

beelsebob wrote:
The slits looked different to me, though it could be the angle too as Crucial_Xtreme has pointed out...

On a side note, the inner part of the rear right looks chewed to me, uneven tyre wear or exhaust burn ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

thestig84
thestig84

I would say just rubber pick-up in the pitlane.

Hangaku

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Image
What's going on with the rear wing there? Measuring airflow?

Edit: Image added back again due to new page :P
Yer.

astracrazy
astracrazy

measuring flow around the front wing too? zoom in and follow down from the M on the mclaren.com decal. Looks like a tube

blokkie
blokkie

astracrazy wrote:measuring flow around the front wing too? zoom in and follow down from the M on the mclaren.com decal. Looks like a tube
Yep , looks like it indeed. Well spotted !!

afiq
afiq

Looks like tire marbles

Hangaku

Inspecting the rear wing further, it does appear to be just the DRS actuator, but it's does appear larger than previous incarnations. The contrast of the image made it look like a flat black "panel".
Yer.