2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Build it - they will come. If the car is fast next year then most drivers will be willing to sign. I don't think McLaren needs to push for very long contracts with Lando and Oscar.

But I am quite happy with the lineup so I wouldn't mind it. It would make things simpler with less potential drama.

organic

Of course not representative but sector 2 was the worst of any team in fp1. They'll probably run slightly less df in fp2 to see if that's better?

From Oscar's radio in fp1: there was a lot of understeer throughout the session

organic

organic wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 14:27
Of course not representative but sector 2 was the worst of any team in fp1. They'll probably run slightly less df in fp2 to see if that's better?

Yes they've gone to the slightly lower wing - from Brazil wing (Fp1) to the Suzuka wing (Fp2)

Seems a lot better - this is probably the wing they'll use unless it is destroying the tyres

MrGapes

Lando did that lap on his second lap, hence why he lost the tyres in the last sector, soo there is still a lot of time in the car.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 15:48
organic wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 14:27

Yes they've gone to the slightly lower wing - from Brazil wing (Fp1) to the Suzuka wing (Fp2)

Seems a lot better - this is probably the wing they'll use unless it is destroying the tyres
Yeah, I saw the rear wing from Silverstone.

sjy1969
sjy1969

MrGapes wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 16:05
Lando did that lap on his second lap, hence why he lost the tyres in the last sector, soo there is still a lot of time in the car.
And on only his 2nd or 3rd representative lap of the weekend. Quite impressive all things considered.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag
Emag

Tomsky wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 17:02
https://i.imgur.com/bhhB524.jpeg
Good traction, and in the telemetry you can see, Lando was clipping at the end of the straights.

Hopefully they got a bit more power in reserve for tomorrow

MrGapes

Tomsky wrote:
The Ferrari had a mega split stream on the first straight hence the massive +kph

trinidefender
trinidefender

Not sure if this was already posted but it’s quite insightful.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10550193/

Posting the key quote below explaining why the car doesn’t work as well at low downforce settings. It’s from the front of the car, not the back.
Stella explained that cars' aerodynamics become quite sensitive at low downforce levels because of the impact the lower front wing levels have on the wake around the front wheels – which is critical to car performance.

"When you go for a low rear wing, you go with a low front wing [for balance reasons], and very often this influences both ends because, when you reduce the load on the front wing, you reduce control of the front wheel wake," he said. "That affects then the behaviour of the car.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 12:55
We can convince ourselves that this means Mercedes data shows good things for their 2026 engine.
Mercedes might have talked their 2026 PU's up, but I doubt they'd have shared much data if McLaren were thinking of moving to a new supplier.
But more likely it is that the team just wants stability and sees this year as proof that they can challenge Mercedes.
I think it boils down to stability more than anything else. If you produce the right chassis and aero package combined with a good engine you can win. Works team or not.

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 18:15
Not sure if this was already posted but it’s quite insightful.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10550193/

Posting the key quote below explaining why the car doesn’t work as well at low downforce settings. It’s from the front of the car, not the back.
Stella explained that cars' aerodynamics become quite sensitive at low downforce levels because of the impact the lower front wing levels have on the wake around the front wheels – which is critical to car performance.

"When you go for a low rear wing, you go with a low front wing [for balance reasons], and very often this influences both ends because, when you reduce the load on the front wing, you reduce control of the front wheel wake," he said. "That affects then the behaviour of the car.
This is exactly what I have been saying for a little while now.

The issues have nothing to do with rear traction and everything to do with how the front of the car behaves at lower speed.
That it isn't to do with low speed corners but low downforce situations full stop.
I'm going to say that I even talked about the issue being partly around the wake of the car at lower speeds, as I think LionsHeart will recall, and that the problem is both Aerodynamic and mechanical, going on to say that the Singapore update was a big step in the Aero fix to this problem but the platform itself needs work to create a more balanced window for the Aero to work in.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 17:23
Tomsky wrote:
The Ferrari had a mega split stream on the first straight hence the massive +kph
Ferrari are always very fast over a lap anyway, in general it slows them down in the race.

-Bandit

mwillems

Emag wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 17:05
Tomsky wrote:
Good traction, and in the telemetry you can see, Lando was clipping at the end of the straights.

Hopefully they got a bit more power in reserve for tomorrow
Yes, it is promising to see the car return to it's good traits and to out drag the field from the corner exits.

You never know in FP2, but you have the feeling looking at the telemetry that the car is behaving well enough in general and that we will push on tomorrow.

Looking at the rpm we seem comparible to.the relative difference to Ferrari when compared to Vegas Q, but RB appear to have more in the tank.

-Bandit

JordanMugen

Customer Mercedes for 5 years, McLaren-Mercedes 2026 through 2030?!
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/24/me ... gine-deal/

Granted Brown has already searched around RBPT Ford, Honda, Renault etc and not found a better deal elsewhere...

But it still seems to be a premature deal from Brown given a works Cadillac engine supply may be available from 2028 (assuming Andretti Global are unsuccessful in joining Formula 1).