2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

ScottR267 wrote:
05 Dec 2023, 14:04
Both the 2018 and 2019 liveries have shown how far McLaren and specifically Zak has come with sponsors…..this years car is covered in them in comparison
Aparently they have the highest number of sponsors on the grid. - 47
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Dec 2023, 22:30
The potential livery is the furthest thing on my mind..... :lol:
They could paint the 2024 car bright green for all I care, the only thing that
matters is the car is fast and hopefully able to challenge Red Bull.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I won't comment on the livery as we haven't waited for the unveiling of the new car yet.😁

Therefore, I will share another news. Today I read where Lando said that he is sure that in 2024 he will open the account of victories. If Lando is so confident in the team, in the data they are getting now, I think it's safe to assume that in 2024 Lando will renew his contract with McLaren. You could see the optimism in his words. This is by the way that some here on the forum call him a pessimist, although I always consider him a realist.

Balalu
Balalu

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 19:13
I won't comment on the livery as we haven't waited for the unveiling of the new car yet.😁

Therefore, I will share another news. Today I read where Lando said that he is sure that in 2024 he will open the account of victories. If Lando is so confident in the team, in the data they are getting now, I think it's safe to assume that in 2024 Lando will renew his contract with McLaren. You could see the optimism in his words. This is by the way that some here on the forum call him a pessimist, although I always consider him a realist.
I consider him more of a cautious"ist", with a tad more towards a pessimist.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

trinidefender
trinidefender

LionsHeart wrote:

Please share the source where you read this. People posting things without referencing them can cause confusion

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

trinidefender wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 21:58
LionsHeart wrote:

Please share the source where you read this. People posting things without referencing them can cause confusion
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -f1-season

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LionsHeart wrote:

I think Lando is just planting the seed. I don't think anyone can truly know. Perez also thinks he will win the title next year. Maybe if Max retires, but it's too early to say.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 23:52
LionsHeart wrote:

I think Lando is just planting the seed. I don't think anyone can truly know. Perez also thinks he will win the title next year. Maybe if Max retires, but it's too early to say.
Checo can say anything. He was competitive for the first 4 races and then he lost it dramatically. Yes, maybe it's a matter of car updates, or maybe he got himself worked up that he was able to fight for the title and all his thoughts were about the title and he just broke down psychologically. The thread here is not about him, so I will not develop this idea further.

As for Lando, he's an honest guy. So I have no reason not to believe him. The development of the car ended in the summer, the last updates arrived in Singapore, so the team has long since switched all its energies to the 2024 car, unlike Mercedes and Ferrari, which kept bringing updates.

I already mentioned where Lando said that they have an idea of what the car should be, they have knowledge, they have thoughts and ideas including from employees who came from other teams and that some of these ideas will be implemented immediately and some a little later on as the season progresses.

So I have really adequate expectations for the first time in years. It wasn't like that before. I used to always hope for the best, realizing that it would most likely be optimistic and that the season wouldn't start as well as I wish it would. It is important that already in the pre-season tests a lot of kilometers were covered, and not sitting in the boxes because of problems then with the brakes, or vortex generators that over the front wheels.

mwillems

I think that Lando's remarks reflect two things. The first is his belief in this team and the Designers/Engineers.
The second is that he feels the team are finding the time he thinks will propel them to a win next year.

But for all we know he might think the gap is similar to this year, just that they will have more chances and be better prepared to profit when RB are pushed, and they may well be pushed more next season meaning hopefully a few more mistakes and opportunities. RB were only pushed a few times towards the back end of this season.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10555387/

The team want to help Lando find consistency and not to look for perfection in his Qualifying shootouts.
It's just the same as I have been speaking about this season and the only chink in his armour.

Asked by Motorsport.com whether McLaren should intervene to help Norris kerb any mistakes, team principal Andrea Stella said: “It's about how you judge situations, it's about how you talk about situations, about how you interpret yourself. This one certainly deserves some attention.

“How can we just sometimes accept that a 99.9% lap is good enough? What are you up against? Always the 100% or consistency?

When asked about the pressure from a rookie team mate that can perform:

“So definitely we know that when the team-mate is strong, the second element [errors] tends to be more prevalent. So, something definitely to think about.”

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 00:25
I think that Lando's remarks reflect two things. The first is his belief in this team and the Designers/Engineers.
The second is that he feels the team are finding the time he thinks will propel them to a win next year.

But for all we know he might think the gap is similar to this year, just that they will have more chances and be better prepared to profit when RB are pushed, and they may well be pushed more next season meaning hopefully a few more mistakes and opportunities. RB were only pushed a few times towards the back end of this season.
I don't think that's entirely fair. Even in the early season there were chances for wins. Monaco for instance speaks for itself. Canada, Australia, Silverstone.. it wasn't just the last few races. Rb's margin at Canada for instance was about that if Brazil and that was with Fernando having to fuel save massively due to a sensor failure .
Last edited by organic on 07 Dec 2023, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

organic wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 00:38
mwillems wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 00:25

I don't think that's entirely fair. Even in the early season there were chances for wins. Monaco for instance speaks for itself. Canada, Australia, Silverstone, Singapore.. it wasn't just the last few races or something :D
Yeah you're right. I think it might be better to say it was around the mid point in the season and later when they were more regularly pushed but that the pressure increased as the season went on.

-Bandit

ScottR267
ScottR267

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/aero ... /10556237/

Kinda obvious however a nice read in case anyone hadn’t seen

K1Plus
K1Plus

ScottR267 wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 20:16

This is basically a dig at James Key, if you read between the lines.
Once you give the talented guys free reign and not be rigid and conservative, you have some results.

mwillems

ScottR267 wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 20:16

Obvious yes. But never explicitly stated by the team. For instance, he explains that the head of Aero was not in charge of Aero, and by letting the Aero guy run his team and make the Aero decisions then they have found the right designs.

And then the part about empowering and giving enthusiasm, which could relate to Key or Seidl, or both.

But unleashing their talent by giving clear direction, making clear objectives, and also trying to make sure that empowerment and enthusiasm are the foundation of how we deal with people. This has been instrumental. And that's also how we are trying to get into the future."

-Bandit