2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

So Stella released an interview with Sky Italy.

Key points:

- Rated the test for McL as 6/7 out of 10
- Underlined the huge progress from 2022 and 2023 were they had lot of issues
- They still encountered some issues with the fuel system and gearbox this year so there is still work to do reliability wise
- The car is still lacking pure performance compared to RB and Ferrari, and also it seems that the wind has a negative effect on the car so work must be done in these areas as well
- Bahrain is a difficult track for the car due to the many "tight" corners. Despite having more grip in these corners compared to the past they still have not been able to change this characteristic of the car

Mansell89
Mansell89

Xyz22 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:13

Key points:

- They still encountered some issues with the fuel system and gearbox this year so there is still work to do reliability wise
- The car is still lacking pure performance compared to RB and Ferrari, and also it seems that the wind has a negative effect on the car so work must be done in these areas as well
- Bahrain is a difficult track for the car due to the many "tight" corners. Despite having more grip in these corners compared to the past they still have not been able to change this characteristic of the car
If that’s the case - do not be surprised if we we are P9/10 next weekend. RBR and Ferrari are out front, and I think Bahrain will suit Aston more than us. Merc are the unknown but Allison thinks they are close to Ferrari. If he’s right, we’re 5th best car next weekend.

It shouldn’t cause panic, as I think it sounds like there are significant developments planned (although same for Aston), and we will be better in high speed tracks, but it sounds like some of the weaknesses for now may still limit our potential at certain tracks- Bahrain being one.

Emag
Emag

Xyz22 wrote:

Key points:

Doesn't mention any other team though. Where is Mercedes and Aston? Where does he think McLaren stands in the pecking order in outright position, and what's the cushion to the midfield?

This test has had relatively low amount of quality data, it's a bit difficult to put things in an order.

mwillems

Xyz22 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 15:02
In the second episode of DTS there is a small snippet with Stella explaining the work behind the upgrade that really improved the situation at McL.
They even reworked some mechanical components of the car. Incredible what they pulled off.
They redid the cooling as far as I recall.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Xyz22 wrote:

Key points:

That final point really interests me. If we can redo the suspension and lower the car, increase grip at front and particularly at the rear, improve tyre handling and reduce weight, then how are the characteristics the same?

Aside from the inherent advantage Ferrari might get at Bahrain, they look a better car to me in general, for now.

Edit: Obviously the answer is that the aero at the front is critical. Which is why I still expect to see a new front wing at Japan. Continued learning of the car and setup should help also and we may even find a breakthrough as we figure out the best way to use the car.

I look forward to the visual lap overlay comparisons at Bahrain Q
Last edited by mwillems on 24 Feb 2024, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 05:40
I've seen references to Bahrain being a circuit being one which doesn't play to McLaren's strengths. I think this is solely based on the last two years being stricken with an underprepared team, unreliability and starting off the back. If we look at Bahrain in 2020 and 2021, Lando scored fourth places at both races. So I don't think we can be complacent on those grounds, sure if we're only a few tenths off at Bahrain GP then I'll be excited about Silverstone to name just one track.
Well, the MCL34 and MCL35 were very “slippery” cars… That helped a lot in Bahrain those seasons, as well as other tracks that favored a car with that trait, the MCL38 isn’t as draggy as the previous 2 cars, but I wouldn’t say that straight line speed is it’s forte either

Ben1980
Ben1980

Realistically, what did people expect? Not hope, or think. But expect.

Personally I expected RBR to still be ahead and fir McLaren to be in the battle behind, and im sort of thinking we are as expected.

Just want to see if anyone had any real grand over thr top expectations?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ben1980 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 17:51

Personally I expected RBR to still be ahead and fir McLaren to be in the battle behind, and im sort of thinking we are as expected.

Similar expectations, I expected Red Bull to be ahead, expected the gap to the “pack” to reduce a bit… And expected Ferrari and Mercedes to be strong and McLaren to have done enough to fight for 2nd… If there is a race that suits the new package maybe even challenge for a win or two throughout the season.

If McLaren is consistently fighting for 2nd in a close fight with Ferrari and Mercedes (regardless if it finishes, 2nd, 3rd of 4th), snatches a pole or a win throughout the season and manages to cut the expected gap to Red Bull by the end of season (not close it, but at least cut it in half) the team would have had a good season for me.

Tomsky
Tomsky

McLaren is again one of the worst on the straight

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 17:51

I wouldn’t say that I had over the top expectations but the confident sounding statements from the team certainly raised them.
Stella: ‘we have made a step and still see a good upward ward development curve.’
‘There are developments in the pipeline which are interesting’
The drivers: ‘this season will be our best chance to win a race’.

What will disappointment me the most is if Ferrari, Mercedes, Aston and who ever else make a larger step in performance this winter and stride past McLaren in the pecking order.

McLaren was a podium contending team in the second half of last season and according to Lando they currently aren’t. There should be 2 Red Bull drivers on the podium and 2 Ferrari drivers battling for the third step.
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

We have to remember Ferrari developed well last season, and we're probably better over the last few races, and also started from a higher base. But all the signs are we gave improved, but as the team have said, you don't know what others will do.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Tomsky wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 19:39
McLaren is again one of the worst on the straight
We don't know that for sure though. What aero map were they running, what engine mode were they running? We don't know. The good news is, we'll find out in less than a week!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

I personally think we're in the mix for best of the rest along with Mercedes, Ferrari and possibly Aston (though I'm still to be convinced by them after how they fell off the pace last year). I think the order will swing from track to track depending on which best suits each car and updates. I think Checo is a question mark as well. He could be bang on the pace, or like some races last season, way off the pace.

My hope for the season is more podiums, hopefully a win or 2 and to finish in 2nd or 3rd in the WCC.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Remember on the last day of the test, half the car was doused with flouvise? I didn't understand then why Oscar drove the whole lap in 2nd gear, and now revisiting this moment in the tests, I came to some conclusions.

Perhaps the team deliberately decided to check the flow of air flows in slow corners, which are passed at 80-100 km/h? Could it have something to do with the front wing work? Who has any thoughts on this matter?

Xyz22
Xyz22

This is the interview if you want to learn a bit of italian :)