Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Hemsy wrote:Willis was TD at Bar/Honda from 2001 to 2006 during which time they produced some disastrous cars. He was also fired by Red Bull in 2009 after they realized they no longer needed his services. What does that say about him?
BAR 006 was the best car that year that wasn't the Ferrari F2006-GA and the Honda RA106 wasn't a bad car wasn't it???

Willis was not fired at Red Bull he left by "Mutual Consent" which can be taken as fired in Football terms, however it was down to the fact he was more a Process Manager than a TD at Red Bull. He left on good terms tho, as he solved the problems they had with the engine installation and gearbox problems that they had in 2007/2008.

I have always thought that Willis is a known quantity in F1 that deserves to have his time to develop and shape his own Technical Department.

Pairing him with Costa will be a good pairing, and with the guidance of Bell, this looks like it could be a fruitful team with the right resource and development time.

raymondu999

I think generally they're good moves; I just hope it's not too much of an "all-stars" team. I don't think that really works anywhere, be it amongst drivers or technical teams
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hemsy
Hemsy

James Allen's take on Merc's new signings: - http://bit.ly/p9V5eP

Interesting bit about Costa which only confirms what I just mentioned a few posts ago, about him not being a great TD but a brilliant engineer.

donskar
donskar

With Costa and Willis on board -- no more excuses. M-B should have all the technical ability it needs to build a winner. (Unless there are TOO many chiefs and not enough Indians.) M-B has pulled together a lot of the Schu-era "dream team." Can the past be recaptured? I'm going to guess "no." Isn't it too late for these new hires to significantly influence next year's car?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

wunderkind
wunderkind

While I'm very glad to see the appointments of Costa and Willis. But I am not if the fundamental issue of the aerodynamics has been addressed. Willis might have had a big hand in building the wind tunnel at Brackley. But can Willis make a massive breakthrough in aero for the 2013 car? I have my doubts.

shelly
shelly

That what I was sying. Maybe they have confidence in Bigois, or maybe they will soon announce another new name.
twitter: @armchair_aero

siskue2005

now only one missing is Chris Dyer as Michael's engineer!

Mr.S
Mr.S

Come on guy Bob Bell's specilization is aero & he made double championship winning cars. Whilst Costa does not specialize in aero he was TD & must have some decent idea working so many years with success.

Geoff,I am not sure but come on I dont think he will be very bad anyway.

One thing I liked is they cateogorically mentioned Bell is the boss & both Aldo & Geoff will be reporting to Bob Bell.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Hemsy wrote:Willis was TD at Bar/Honda from 2001 to 2006 during which time they produced some disastrous cars. He was also fired by Red Bull in 2009 after they realized they no longer needed his services. What does that say about him?
BAR had a couple of decent cars. Infact I remember 2004 or some season they had the 2nd fastest to the invincible Ferrari.

BAR really grew as a team & jenson got some nice results.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Another thing I noticed is the appointments are on 17th oct & 1st Dec. Bob even though he could have joined earlier,Mercedes appointed him from 1st April meaning he could not even give his inputs on W02.

Mercedes have learned their lesson,Geoff would join from 17th Oct & will have more than 3 months of proper development with W03.Mercedes will already be very much into the W03 but I suggest they will produce a basic car which can be changed a lot & Geoff will have his inputs. Aldo will perhaprs have 2 months of inputs into the W03 & maybe he has already given some basic ideas. I think both of them will have a hand in W03 although the car will be fundamentally Bell's.

It's much better than last year when if Bell had come in earlier I'm sure we would not have gone for this SWB dud.

yener

Wow this is great news!
It would be awesome if Chris Dyer would sign for MGP too!

The official dates are 17october and 1december, but i think Ross Brawn will send them a copy of the files they are working on right now. It's not that difficult.. is it?
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

yener wrote:The official dates are 17october and 1december, but i think Ross Brawn will send them a copy of the files they are working on right now. It's not that difficult.. is it?
They cant send him anything, but they can visit him and 'accedentially' leave a external hard drive at his house...

Id not be surprised if Costa and Wills have not already been into the team as 'visitors' and 'seen' the facilities spending a day getting to know their new team.

munudeges
munudeges

Scarbs echoes my feelings on this:
Merc GP: Brawn, Bell, Costa, Willis. Technical superteam or too many cooks in the kitchen?
You've got three people, all used to being technical heads in their own right, one at the same team, all with pretty similar sounding, very fudgy job descriptions - Technology Director and Engineering Director? It sounds like the politics have already started with the job titles.

MIKEY_!

We had similar problems here in Australia with a new football team. They came in with shed loads of cash, recruited all the top players from the other teams and ... wait for it ... lost every single game!

Cocles

munudeges wrote:Scarbs echoes my feelings on this:
Merc GP: Brawn, Bell, Costa, Willis. Technical superteam or too many cooks in the kitchen?
You've got three people, all used to being technical heads in their own right, one at the same team, all with pretty similar sounding, very fudgy job descriptions - Technology Director and Engineering Director? It sounds like the politics have already started with the job titles.
Wow... you're stretching.

We've got "three people all used to being technical heads"... Sure, and they're all technical heads now at MGP. What's the problem? Did you mean "Technical Director"? If so, neither Costa nor Willis seem the type who want (let alone "need") to be TD. They both have a specific expertise, and that's what they're in charge of at MGP under one of the most respected TD's in the sport. Pretty sweet deal for both of them.

As for "fudgy job descriptions"... Are you even reading the same article as the rest of us?

Like I said, you're stretching.