2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 13:50
Well, the Ferrari fans will enjoy this, Stella agrees that McLaren were flattered in Singapore

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10657788/

Also he’s not easing your concerns about the upgrades @Emag :wtf:
Honestly this sounds quite positive. They seem to be preparing a bigger package to bring and Stella says that they have to trust the process and that the "domination" in Singapore will not change their plans. So I think we are getting a decent package in Austin. I'm quoting the article below.
Asked about the dilemma the team now faced on whether to go for upgrades now or not, Stella said: “In fairness, that was one of my thoughts after the race.

“We do have some stuff in the pipeline, and obviously, when you have this kind of performance on track, you always may approach things from a cautious point of view in terms of development.

“But at the same time, we need to trust the process. We need to trust the way we've been working so far.

“I've said already that we have taken our time to make sure that once we deliver track side, we have done the due diligence. So, I don't think this will change our plans.”

Stella thinks that, despite McLaren’s advantage, it will not take much for its rivals to leap ahead if they bring upgrades that work.

“In Formula 1, I'm not sure you can back off too much, because backing off means that the others may catch up,” he said.

“And we don't know what the plans of the others are. Red Bull, we see that in a track in which they thought they would not have been very competitive ultimately, they were potentially second best.

“And I think we haven't seen Ferrari [at its best], as even in P1, P2, they seemed to be as fast as us.

“So, I think this race may have been a bit flattering. The situation from a competitiveness point of view, I would say we need to keep being aggressive in terms of development.”

McLaren chief designer Rob Marshall says that the team’s plan was to make sure that any upgrade it did bring helped produce a big step.

“It's about chasing downforce all the time,” he said. “We kind of like to gather the chunks up and deliver it in a big hit.

“So far we've just been focusing on basically gathering those bits up. At some point hopefully we'll have another upgrade to deliver.

“In a way it's nice to be delivering lots of little upgrades all the time, a bit like our beam wing here this weekend

“But equally sometimes you just have to hold on a little bit while you wait for a chunk of bits to come all at the same time.

“The advantage in doing that is that often bits don't combine very well, or as well as you think they would. And if you deliver them in one lump, then that sort of combination of parts has been in CFD together, it was developed together, it's been through the wind tunnel together, so you can be more confident that combination of bits works well together.

“Whereas if you do it bit by bit, you might introduce an upgrade on one part and then work on another part and find out actually it's a bit compromised by the previous change you made.”

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Farnborough wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 13:14
My perception is that this team started 2024 campaign psychologically on a "glide slope" of challenging in championship terms for 2025 .... as such finding themselves reaching early this current position of competency and relative competitiveness in slightly surprised demeanour :D

Definitely welcome but a little unprepared in early season to make some critical decisions based on overall car pace that we now see. Naturally, a very positive surprise, but now to ramp up their outlook and race focus to where they've worked themselves to with the technical performance obvious.

You can both hear and see the shift in outlook from team and drivers as it becomes more factual with each result chalked onto the board.

I'm looking forward to the latter part of season as this head to head rolls out for us, but feel that other teams will also play a part in taking significant points from both McL & RB in finish positions.

It's looking tight for either side currently, must feel good being in the garages at races currently with this much to play for.
I think you're right. I only hope they don't repeat the mistake of 2008 and 2013!!
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

mclaren111

CjC
CjC

Yet the haters will deem that heroic from Verstappen but poor from Lando
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 13:50
Well, the Ferrari fans will enjoy this, Stella agrees that McLaren were flattered in Singapore

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10657788/

Also he’s not easing your concerns about the upgrades @Emag :wtf:
He was suggesting it was as fast as the Red Bull, I believe.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 18:16
I'm not a hater for thinking Lando hasn't done enough in that period and that Verstappen was better at maximising his opportunities. Or is the forum veering to trumpisms whe we don't like someone's opinion?

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

No one is debating the simple fact that Lando and McLaren have not made the most of all their opportunities.
The problem is when that devolves into calling him incompetent and not worthy of a champion and not a top-tier driver etc, which some of the other fanbases are doing
Its his first shot at a championship after all and everyone made mistakes in their first title year (HAM China 2007, VER Monza 2021 etc)

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 19:11
CjC wrote:
I'm not a hater for thinking Lando hasn't done enough in that period and that Verstappen was better at maximising his opportunities. Or is the forum veering to trumpisms whe we don't like someone's opinion?
No no, to be honest I was referring to the kids on instagram, no one on here in particular.
I had actually forgotten that there was a bit of disappointment towards him in here. :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 16:20
CjC wrote:
Source:

A lion must kill its prey.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 19:33
mwillems wrote:
CjC wrote:
No no, to be honest I was referring to the kids on instagram, no one on here in particular.
I had actually forgotten that there was a bit of disappointment towards him in here. :lol:
Fair play. I'll just wind my neck back in then 🤣

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 21:32
CjC wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 19:33
mwillems wrote:

Fair play. I'll just wind my neck back in then 🤣
To be fair, I hadn’t realised how many races we had actually had this year!
‘The last 12 races’ is Singapore to Imola!
The start of Mclarens rise to Red Bull demise. It’s quite a fair reflection on them both, Verstappen is driving like a reigning WDC and pulling every last point out of a weekend whilst Lando is learning to fight for a WDC so won’t be pulling every point out of a weekend.

CjC
CjC

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 19:44
CjC wrote:
Source:

https://i.postimg.cc/NGVgWcGq/image.png
Yea this is exactly what I mean. Instagramers with their own agenda using language to stir the pot.

‘Despite having the fastest car’- no, Lando didn’t have the fastest car, just a faster car than Verstappen for 9 of the last 12 races.
Verstappen had a fast(est) car in Imola, Canada and Spa- races he won and or scored pole.

Who ever wins the WDC fully deserves it in my opinion. I just hope it’s Lando =P~

BMMR61

I'm not going to waste my breath on responding (again) to the "haters", naysayers and essentially trolls from other fan groups. We know who the steady regulars are on this forum and it isn't just a happy club of back-slappers who want to put a golden glow on everything. But we know that the potential was there to do better. We know that Zak and Andrea's early season predictions didn't have McLaren fighting for wins on a regular basis, as it has turned out. Those of us who keep a level head don't get despondent about "just another podium" and realise that the team, and it's young drivers still have some growing to reach their peak, individually and collectively.

Nice comments from Rob Marshall. He's kept a low key presence in the background. It must be encouraging for him to see his new employer on the up while his former appears on the slide. His ideas on bringing large package upgrades makes so much sense and this approach has certainly worked since Austria 2023. Every package has worked at least as well as predicted, often much more. We've seen our three main competitors introduce a steady stream of "upgrades" that have appeared to confuse the team. I doubt that the unexpectedly good result for Max at Singapore has relevance to how he will go at Austin. Likewise with the RB upgrades this season, it's anyone's guess if a definitive gain will be seen.

BMMR61

CjC wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 21:48
AR3-GP wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 19:44
CjC wrote:
Source:

https://i.postimg.cc/NGVgWcGq/image.png
Yea this is exactly what I mean. Instagramers with their own agenda using language to stir the pot.

‘Despite having the fastest car’- no, Lando didn’t have the fastest car, just a faster car than Verstappen for 9 of the last 12 races.
Verstappen had a fast(est) car in Imola, Canada and Spa- races he won and or scored pole.

Who ever wins the WDC fully deserves it in my opinion. I just hope it’s Lando =P~
Expectations way too high in my opinion, the media have played a major part by talk of "fastest" without any nuance. Lando has become a victim of the hype, but he will grow from it. Pressure has to be handled if the team and it's drivers are to achieve the top step. Oscar already looks to be able to deal with pressure, just needs a bit more experience to get performance on a more consistent basis.

Darth-Piekus

People forgot that Max wasnt better than Lando before he got his first championship. Tended to crash with the whole field and while he had 10 wins in 6 years lets not forget that most of them happened after Mercedes was out of the race not to mention that Red Bull was a very good car compared to the Mclaren which was a midfield car. In 2021 Max lost a 40 points lead to Hamilton by a multitude of mistakes. Finally lets not forget that Max is still making mistakes this year despite being a 3 times champion.