Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Red Bull RB18

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 04:03
Anyone know what sort of couplings they use on the hard fuel lines?
Good question - i guess there could be simply installation error. Some couplings are pesky and unpredictable. From mine experience. Handling some sort quick disconnect could became quite a quick oversight if u are changing a lot of parts in a hurry.

EDIT: Not that hard to mess up threaded one also. Some tight space in those F1 cars and even harder access of the tools. In this case. I imagine you can quite quickly cross thread connector also.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

warpomex
warpomex

aleks_ader wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 05:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Good question - i guess there could be simply installation error. Some couplings are pesky and unpredictable. From mine experience. Handling some sort quick disconnect could became quite a quick oversight if u are changing a lot of parts in a hurry.

EDIT: Not that hard to mess up threaded one also. Some tight space in those F1 cars and even harder access of the tools. In this case. I imagine you can quite quickly cross thread connector also.
This... it could be that simply the team don't want to throw the mechanics under the bus by saying it was an installation error.

In my limited experience, some swages, connectors and flanges will "just fail" (nothing ever "just fails" but you know what I mean) and that's why you test them and build redundancy around some of the critical ones. However, F1 cars rarely have the luxury of redundancy built into them and I reckon sometimes not even the luxury of testing.

jagunx51

............!!!!

Blackout

New thinner splitter with AM winglets
@tgruener

Aesop
Aesop

Pictures from Australia

Blackout

IMO one of the reasons the RB underbody has that step (red) is because RB pushed their tub quite far rearwards to free a little bit of space for the tunnel mouths...
The tub's position impacts the shape and size of the tunnel entries and coke bottle
Last edited by Blackout on 22 Apr 2022, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

jagunx51

Or ....it generates local flow distrubance to cancel porpoising .... at max speed, once the floor start to close to the track, the stepped areas generate flow disturbance and "reduce" ground effect

:?: :-k
............!!!!

Wouter

Blackout wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 10:32
New thinner splitter with AM winglets
@tgruener
Sorry @Blackout, I couldn't post only the second one, so I did is this way.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

warpomex wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 06:29
aleks_ader wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 05:14
PlatinumZealot wrote:

This... it could be that simply the team don't want to throw the mechanics under the bus by saying it was an installation error.

In my limited experience, some swages, connectors and flanges will "just fail" (nothing ever "just fails" but you know what I mean) and that's why you test them and build redundancy around some of the critical ones. However, F1 cars rarely have the luxury of redundancy built into them and I reckon sometimes not even the luxury of testing.
The crimps of the clip would be slightly stressed just with the act of crimping them, then there would be continual heat cycle through them, especially on the return section as it is the temp of the fuel plus the air and radiation under the bodywork, they could be cool one side and hot the other . As they are clamping over a flexible 'tube' there would be quite an allowance for the edges of the swage to split as the 'circle' expands and it acts as a 'hinge' . Not something I have seen often, but a possibility.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

They are so many different kinds of couplings so I woas wondering which kind is normally used for Medium pressure fuel lines in F1.

I would guess flare fittings, but I don't really know to be honest.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 16:31
They are so many different kinds of couplings so I woas wondering which kind is normally used for Medium pressure fuel lines in F1.

I would guess flare fittings, but I don't really know to be honest.
From the pics it looks like the flex to steel (or other metal) are crimp. I would assume the high pressure are olive/flair or taper though.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

Ice skate barely visible from this angle.

𓄀

Wouter

Verstappen: „Ich hatte aus irgendeinem Grund keine Getriebesynchronisation. In dem Moment, als ich die Kupplung losgelassen habe, hatte ich eine Menge Wheelspin und keine Traktion.“
Verstappen: "For some reason I didn't have a gearbox synchro.
The moment I released the clutch I had a lot of wheelspin and no traction.”

Why did this happen? Who's fault was it?
Can and is it allowed to do something about that before the race?
Or Is it something that is not allowed during Parc Fermé?

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-max-ver ... ola-43290/
The Power of Dreams!

aleks_ader

Could be just SW glitch. Not unheard off. Given that Start map is different than all other ones. So naturally running time and debugging in that regime becomes hard to made it bulletproof.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Andi76
Andi76

I was really surprised by the RB18s use of tyres in the sprint-race. RBR was said to have reduced the weight of the car. It seems they reduce it where it was really important, so they were able to lower the COG, which would affect tyre-wear. But maybe it was track-dependant only that the RB18 suddenly had less tyre degradation than the F1-75. Or maybe Leclerc just pushed to hard at the beginning. But it would be reasonable to reduce weight where you can lower the COG.