2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Jolle wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 22:51
JPower wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:47
Jolle wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:44

since 1996 PMI did all the marketing, sponsor relations and merchandise for Ferrari. That is a serious blow and, on top of the stress of a new car, a lot of new things to manage.
Yes, Ferrari, a multi-billion dollar brand, can't possibly handle those functions. Get real. :lol:
have you seen the new suits? if a driver crosses his arms for a photo, you can't read half the sponsors anymore...
And this has what to do with Ferrari's operations? Are you suggesting there's a mass exodus of sponsors from Ferrari? Because you'd be wrong.

Jolle
Jolle

JPower wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 23:36
Jolle wrote:
JPower wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 21:47

Yes, Ferrari, a multi-billion dollar brand, can't possibly handle those functions. Get real. :lol:
have you seen the new suits? if a driver crosses his arms for a photo, you can't read half the sponsors anymore...
And this has what to do with Ferrari's operations? Are you suggesting there's a mass exodus of sponsors from Ferrari? Because you'd be wrong.
all sponsors had a contract with PMI and had special deals like, acces to drivers, special events, the deals with companies like toy companies, advertising, etc etc. That is now all gone. Shell, AWS and the ones now on the Ferrari were probably transferred to Ferrari due to the contract. To manage deals like that, you need experience, a big company and lots of network. All of that has to be build within months. That's no small deal and not something that is at Ferrari's core business. Just look at Ferrari at 1995 compared to 1996 and you see what kind of impact it has. And then, a rookie mistake of their first sponsor that they brought in at their own, they pick a spot on the overalls that falls behind the arms for the official grid photo's. The overalls look they've been done by an intern, not someone that can manage Shell and Santander

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

LM10 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 20:13
Henri wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 16:05
Ferrari aerodynamic team must prove them selfs this year.. because if they dnot produce good chassis ferrari should hire Mercedes or redbull aero team to help them
Can't read such posts anymore. Ferrari's aero/chassis team is by no means bad. In fact, Ferrari has had best aero in 2017 and even partly in 2018. They had championship winning cars in both years, but lost it due to a weak engine in 2017 and then due to driver errors, strategical mistakes and correlation issues in 2018. In 2019 and after that, what made them lose out massively was the engine saga.

We also have to bear in mind that with Binotto the team has finally found some stability. No head rollings, no fear of having to lose the job, no pressure. The first opportunity to see the fruits of that was in 2021. Even with massive technical restrictions the team has managed to take 3rd place - the goal they had set themselves at the beginning of the season. The've successfully addressed all weaknesses they have had for years and showed improvements in every one of them. They don't have correlation issues anymore to begin with. Their brand-new simulator which has been a huge effort has been calibrated and used for the first time at the last phases of last season. Also, did you see their crazy aero rake? Do you think that's a thing of only a couple of months work? That rake alone is the product of really hard and long-lasting job, a mega project. Not to mention the simulator. These tools are of big significance.

This year they're setting their goal much higher and I honestly don't see a single reason at the moment why they would not deliver.
This!! Lots of weird hyperbole flying around today, but this really sums it up in my opinion.

Those comparing the departure of Phillip Morris to Ferrari of the 80’s and 90’s really needs to wake up to the world in 2022. Ferrari just posted a record profit of (going from memory here?) $850m euros. They are now their own entity on the stock exchange, doing quite well I might add. The road car business is doing well and making money. To compare this Ferrari, arguably one of the worlds most recognisable ‘luxury’ brands, to the Ferrari of the 80’s and 90’s is literally ridiculous. It’s equivalent to comparing Apple now to Apple in the 90’s and saying ‘they’re in trouble because Jony Ive is no longer there and he’s been there since the 90’s’. Well… how’s that working out?

As far as them not being as good a team as Mercedes’ or redbull, lest we forget Ferrari has posed the only real championship threat to Mercedes’ throughout the turbo-hybrid era (excluding last year of course, and we know the reasons Ferrari wasn’t competitive). People act as if losing to Mercedes’ makes you hopeless… but everyone has lost to Mercedes’. Ferrari, redbull, everyone.

Ferrari have now been upgrading their facilities like the sim, hiring as necessary (Binotto has repeatedly said so, they just aren’t making a media fuss about it like ‘some other teams’ referring to redbull recruiting for their engine dept.), creating a consistent team culture where it’s not ‘win today or be fired tomorrow’, etc.

Looking at ferrari the same as they were when they were near bankruptcy in the 80’s, being bought out by Fiat, bears no resemblance to the company that actually exists today…

Mansell89
Mansell89

LM10 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 15:34
wowgr8 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 14:24
Jambier wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 11:50

I really really hope that 2022 is Ferrari come back, at least 4 wins in the year, we need Ferrari strong
I would bite your entire arm off if you offered me 4 wins this season, I'd consider that a huge success but I'm very sceptical and keeping my expectations low

With a brand new car like this there's just so much that could go wrong and there's bound to be some teams that get it wrong
I’ve the feeling you’ll need to bite more than just his entire arm off.
You just don’t think Ferrari will come out really strong in these new regs LM10?

I’d say if the power unit makes the leap they have shown they can produce good chassis. They have a cracking pair of drivers to push for a WCC if they do indeed hit the ground running.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mansell89 wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 00:41
LM10 wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

I would bite your entire arm off if you offered me 4 wins this season, I'd consider that a huge success but I'm very sceptical and keeping my expectations low

With a brand new car like this there's just so much that could go wrong and there's bound to be some teams that get it wrong
You just don’t think Ferrari will come out really strong in these new regs LM10?

I’d say if the power unit makes the leap they have shown they can produce good chassis. They have a cracking pair of drivers to push for a WCC if they do indeed hit the ground running.
I actually believe Ferrari may be the one leading the field in 2022… Not only did they improved the PU in 2021, they have as you well say a very strong pair of drivers and the luxury of having focused almost exclusively on 2022 last year (while Mercedes and RBR didn’t had 100% of their focus on the new regulations).

Wouldn’t be surprising if 2022 is Ferrari’s year.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Jolle wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 23:46
JPower wrote:
Jolle wrote:

all sponsors had a contract with PMI and had special deals like, acces to drivers, special events, the deals with companies like toy companies, advertising, etc etc. That is now all gone. Shell, AWS and the ones now on the Ferrari were probably transferred to Ferrari due to the contract. To manage deals like that, you need experience, a big company and lots of network. All of that has to be build within months. That's no small deal and not something that is at Ferrari's core business. Just look at Ferrari at 1995 compared to 1996 and you see what kind of impact it has. And then, a rookie mistake of their first sponsor that they brought in at their own, they pick a spot on the overalls that falls behind the arms for the official grid photo's. The overalls look they've been done by an intern, not someone that can manage Shell and Santander
Are you forgetting that Ferrari has a tie-up with Giorgio Armani for their off-track stuff like Ferrari-crest suits? And, for the first time ever, they’ve launched an actual fashion line instead of only having ‘team wear’. See the Leclerc brothers recent photoshoot for a snippet, but Charles wears the stuff often. (I like the yellow and grey hoodie Charles is wearing, but it’s $570 AUD).

To say Ferrari can’t decide where to stitch a sponsor logo on some overalls is just so absurdly silly I am at a loss

JPower
JPower

Jolle wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 23:46
JPower wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Is this a joke?

You really think Ferrari doesn't have the personnel to handle corporate relations? Are you really comparing mid-90's Ferrari to the financial juggernaut it is today? :lol:

Ferrari being free from PMI is a blessing in more ways than one. For you to act like this is some huge detriment to the team is hilarious.

wowgr8
wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
Can't read such posts anymore. Ferrari's aero/chassis team is by no means bad. In fact, Ferrari has had best aero in 2017 and even partly in 2018. They had championship winning cars in both years, but lost it due to a weak engine in 2017 and then due to driver errors, strategical mistakes and correlation issues in 2018. In 2019 and after that, what made them lose out massively was the engine saga.
Personally speaking I don't question their manpower per se but their decision making. It sounds really derogatory but they're just not as smart as Mercedes engineers, I can name so many f*ck ups over the last 5 years

They had a great car in 2017 with a weak engine, in 2018 they had a great engine but they slacked off on the aero side and then had development and correlation issues

In 2019 they had the mad engine but the car's aero was just horrible, they chose to take more downforce off the car knowing the engine is already its strength? Why not add more downforce now you have the power to afford it? Poor decision making and a waste of that PU

They also completely misjudged the thin gauge tyres that came in in 2019 and had terrible tyre management that year (and this is despite using these tyres at 3 races in 2018 and seeing how much they weakened Ferrari and strengthened Mercedes)

And the biggest judgement error of all is choosing to trick the fuel flow sensor. I understand gray areas but tricking a sensor is more cheating than playing in gray areas if we're all being honest, how could they believe they could get away with that without being caught? Baffling decision

Seeing all these mistakes has changed the way I view the team, I really hope they prove me wrong this year and make the right decisions

Henri
Henri

LM10 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 22:49
Henri wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 22:35
LM10 wrote:

We also have to bear in mind that with Binotto the team has finally found some stability. No head rollings, no fear of having to lose the job, no pressure. The first opportunity to see the fruits of that was in 2021. Even with massive technical restrictions the team has managed to take 3rd place - the goal they had set themselves at the beginning of the season. The've successfully addressed all weaknesses they have had for years and showed improvements in every one of them. They don't have correlation issues anymore to begin with. Their brand-new simulator which has been a huge effort has been calibrated and used for the first time at the last phases of last season. Also, did you see their crazy aero rake? Do you think that's a thing of only a couple of months work? That rake alone is the product of really hard and long-lasting job, a mega project. Not to mention the simulator. These tools are of big significance.

This year they're setting their goal much higher and I honestly don't see a single reason at the moment why they would not deliver.
Yeah. But not redbull of Mercedes level.. redbull won races with 80bhp deficit and ferrari haven't won a race since 2019.. that shows a aerodynamic chassis area not being top spec
You either didn’t read or didn’t understand my post. Try again.

And please stop creating things out of thin air, thank you.
Never quote my post again thank 😏

Henri
Henri

wowgr8 wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 02:17
LM10 wrote:
Personally speaking I don't question their manpower per se but their decision making. It sounds really derogatory but they're just not as smart as Mercedes engineers, I can name so many f*ck ups over the last 5 years

They had a great car in 2017 with a weak engine, in 2018 they had a great engine but they slacked off on the aero side and then had development and correlation issues

In 2019 they had the mad engine but the car's aero was just horrible, they chose to take more downforce off the car knowing the engine is already its strength? Why not add more downforce now you have the power to afford it? Poor decision making and a waste of that PU

They also completely misjudged the thin gauge tyres that came in in 2019 and had terrible tyre management that year (and this is despite using these tyres at 3 races in 2018 and seeing how much they weakened Ferrari and strengthened Mercedes)

And the biggest judgement error of all is choosing to trick the fuel flow sensor. I understand gray areas but tricking a sensor is more cheating than playing in gray areas if we're all being honest, how could they believe they could get away with that without being caught? Baffling decision

Seeing all these mistakes has changed the way I view the team, I really hope they prove me wrong this year and make the right decisions
Well said good sir🏅

LM10
LM10

Mansell89 wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 00:41
LM10 wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

Seems you misinterpreted my post. I absolutely believe that Ferrari will come out strong.

AeroDynamic

wowgr8 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

I’m in the same point of view. Although I think after last year, it’s been encouraging to see them climb steadily back toward the front. I think the main thing that concerns me that I’m not convinced of improving yet, is their strategists. I’ve said in previous posts that I cannot see Ferrari winning a title with just a competitive car at the moment because I believe other team strategists would just out fox them too often. They would need an outright dominant car I feel.
Last edited by AeroDynamic on 08 Feb 2022, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

JPower
JPower

AeroDynamic wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 09:58
wowgr8 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

I’m in the same point of view. Although I think after last year, it’s been encouraging to see them climb steadily back toward the front. I think the main thing that concerns me that I’m not convinced of improving yet, is their strategists. I’ve said in previous posts that I cannot see Ferrari winning a title with just a competitive car at the moment because I believe other tram strategists would just out for them too often. They would need an outright dominant car I feel.
I can see being hesitant given their track record but the strategy was on point last year and their new chief strategist did a great job considering it was his first year. Don’t see any reason why that shouldn’t continue.

A title run would put most definitely pressure on that part of the garage, however, Ferrari has make mistakes recently even in inconsequential situations. I think those issues were limited in 2021.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Qualcomm/Snapdragon announced as new premium partner

JPower
JPower

JPBD1990 wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 14:34
Qualcomm/Snapdragon announced as new premium partner
B-b-but they told me Ferrari couldn’t handle sponsor management without PMI. How could that be? :roll: :lol: