McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL36

That's not the race rear wing is it, there nowhere for the DRS to actually hinge from, hiding something or still waiting on the real one from production?
Will have to ask around

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

My initial reaction was that it looked safe, but now seeing that they reversed the suspension geometry on both sides, I am happy with the amount of risk taken.

I'm no chair aerodynamicists but I like what I see. They are also obviously hiding a couple of things (tunnels, rear, brake ducts) so probably more to come.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Small blister on the side pod (showing that they’ve tried to wrap the bodywork as much as possible in the area?)

Xero

This shows how the air intake has evolved over the last 3 years. Definitely is bigger this year, but not massively. The sidepods inlets look bigger here too, but that's more down to them being further forward on the car and camera perspective kicking in. Sidepod width appears increased, but that width occurs further forward on the car to aid the outwash effect. From a coke bottle perspective it tapers in to match the MCL35M fairly closely where they converge.

Zynerji

Hemholz tuned under-skin ducting! :mrgreen:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I've noticed that Aston Martin seems to have used all available space for the front wing while McLaren did not. Could this mean that McLaren feels happy with amount of downforce from the frontend?

jjn9128

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:24
I've noticed that Aston Martin seems to have used all available space for the front wing while McLaren did not. Could this mean that McLaren feels happy with amount of downforce from the frontend?
They have the centre closer to the ground so get more downforce in ground effect.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Emag
Emag

It seemed so basic at first, but now I feel like McLaren have gone for "make it or break it". I appreciate their boldness, but to be honest, getting kind of anxious. Can't wait for cars to hit the track so we can finally know for sure if this is going to work out or not.

Jolle
Jolle

I must say, now I see the pull rod front in the flesh (or well, on the render) it looks like they have given it a better angle then the Ferrari's from 2013-2015-ish. I'm a lot less sceptical about it now.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:35
It seemed so basic at first, but now I feel like McLaren have gone for "make it or break it". I appreciate their boldness, but to be honest, getting kind of anxious. Can't wait for cars to hit the track so we can finally know for sure if this is going to work out or not.
Yeah, agreed. It seems that they really want to maximize potential of the venturi tunnels. Hopefully suspension works well enough.

Btw does Aston Martin buy gearbox from Mercedes? If so it might mean Mercedes keep pull rod at the back.

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:47
Emag wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:35
Yeah, agreed. It seems that they really want to maximize potential of the venturi tunnels. Hopefully suspension works well enough.

Btw does Aston Martin buy gearbox from Mercedes? If so it might mean Mercedes keep pull rod at the back.
Yes, gear box & rear suspension. The front is their own work

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:15
Small blister on the side pod (showing that they’ve tried to wrap the bodywork as much as possible in the area?)

https://i.imgur.com/FoiLQNv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sU1Kz91.jpg
Could this bump be side impact crash structure? Not sure exactly how that looks or where it goes.

f1rules
f1rules

seem there is a simpel fabric or similar to cover the cut or whatever it is in the floor

BassVirolla

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:56
SmallSoldier wrote:

Could this bump be side impact crash structure? Not sure exactly how that looks or where it goes.
I'm quite sure that it is. In such case, impressive packaging.

jjn9128

FittingMechanics wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:56
SmallSoldier wrote:

Yes it is
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica