Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPower
JPower

Re: Ferrari SF23

Given the rear set of louvers looks to be mounted on a panel, I wonder if they can install a blank panel in its place instead of having to block them off with tape as they did last year.

Seems that the cooling system has been reorganized underneath. It doesn't have the rear camel hump of the Haas but the rear packaging looks extremely slim vs the other cars.
Last edited by JPower on 14 Feb 2023, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

ME4ME

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 15:05
Sevach wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 14:56
https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/14/fer ... -2023-car/
Enrico Cardile, head of chassis:
"In aero, we increased vertical downforce, to adapt to the new aero regulations and achieve the desired balance."
I think this is the first statement on downforce improvement in spite of regulation change from any team member, of any team. Some theorized this is possible, but is now confirmed. I expect other teams achieved this as well.
I feel like his words can be interpreted in multiple ways. The true intension may have got lost in translation. I'm reading that as "clawed back some downforce" after an initial loss caused by the regulations.

I wouldn't rely on that one sentence and call it confirmed, personally.

Andi76
Andi76

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 19:47
Details on the SF23:

https://i.imgur.com/eoihGCw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UrNjZUK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OrZezkg.jpg

Analysis by: Patryk Sokolowski
What no one seems to have noticed is that the radiator inlets are as high as possible allowed by the regulations! The cooling louvres are placed differently what definetely means that there were significant changes to the cooling system. There are now two different units of cooling louvres with an additional vertical slot. This indicates that great care has been taken to divide and optimally distribute the different flows of cooling air. The concept introduced last year is obviously being taken to the extreme, because last year it was found that there were no problems in this regard. The cooling inlets are also visibly smaller, which means smaller radiators, which is not only an advantage aerodynamically, but also in terms of weight. This concept in terms of cooling allows superior airflow to the rear wing/beamwing unit as the airbox and engine cover are extremely narrow and low. The small aerodynamic parts added near the cockpit will further improve this, which ultimately all benefits the diffuser and underfloor, as the rear wing and beamwing unit "drives" the underfloor and diffuser. The airbox was made even smaller, really taken to the extreme, to gain an even bigger advantage in the performance of the rear and beamwing. The "horns" were also further refined in relation to that goal obviously. From the rear it looks like the gearbox is narrower and they now seem to have two "baskets"/two separate parts at the front-breaks, not one like last year and what was one of the weak points in terms of tyre degradation. Together with the completely new front suspension and Multilink rear suspension, this should hopefully make tire problems a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, there's not really anything meaningful to see from the underbody and diffuser, but it's clear that the intake, just like the sidepods, have been removed from the front wheels. This may cost some downforce, but it should make it more stable because it gives the airflow coming around the front wheels more distance in which to allign itself with the floor inlets. The retained high pressure zone under the sidepods makes the floor at the front corner of the side work harder and helps to "kick" the front wheel wake more outboard earlier.

The even more center loaded and more outwash producing front wing, which is now only attached to the second element of the front wing, with a 'free' first element to improve front downforce and the other small modifications such as to the intakes of the underbody and the "new" T-tray, one thing must be stated quite clearly - the SF23 is an impressive evolution of a concept that was already the fastest in terms of pure speed in 2022. The attention to detail with which the car was further developed in many areas is impressive, as is the fact that they obviously tried to eliminate the weaknesses. If it delivers what it promises based on the new developments/improvements - then 2023 will be a very good year for Ferrari!
Last edited by Andi76 on 14 Feb 2023, 23:20, edited 3 times in total.

Simone Ferrari

Interesting article from Franco Nugnes/Giorgio Piola on Sf-23 "S-Duct" (AKA David Sanchez is obsessed on that from McLaren years :lol: ) :
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... /10432186/

matteosc
matteosc

GrrG wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 14:25
It looks like they kept the lower impact structure high in the sidepodes and it is now almost "sticking out". I would have expected them to move it in the floor like others did. To me it looks like where it is now it limits the depth of the undercut that they can produce.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Andi76
Andi76

matteosc wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 21:14
GrrG wrote:
It looks like they kept the lower impact structure high in the sidepodes and it is now almost "sticking out". I would have expected them to move it in the floor like others did. To me it looks like where it is now it limits the depth of the undercut that they can produce.

I think its on pupose and quite clever. It could actually be used reduce loses in this area and improve airflow.

RZS10

They probably would have needed to make a new tub in order to move the SIP, so that's as much as they can shrink the bodywork in that area
Last edited by RZS10 on 14 Feb 2023, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

fourmula1
fourmula1

This isn't very technical...my apologies...this might be one of my favorite looking Ferraris in a long time. I'd have to see them together...but some of the shapes in this car are beautiful.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Why is the car bouncing so much ?

matteosc
matteosc

Andi76 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 21:31
matteosc wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 21:14
GrrG wrote:
https://postimages.org/

I think its on pupose and quite clever. It could actually be used reduce loses in this area and improve airflow.
I am sure that there is a reason for this positioning, but it is not clear to me how it would reduce losses and improving airflow.

Kalsi
Kalsi

More detail of the rumored "Sidepod S-Duct entrance" From the Fiorano running
Looks like a panel somehow attached to main bodywork which can be modified.
Also notice the initial curvature of the sidepod inlet from this perspective, it goes a bit upward before going down.

Vanja #66

Here's some thoughts from my side in more detail. Front wing is a very big change. Visible improvements and much tighter radiator layout, sidepod bodywork looks like it can be further tightened if needed. Might be good to open first picture in another window... #-o

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Giando

I might be wrong... but i think the SF23's monocoque has two small keels to lower the position of the front-suspension wishbone... (orange arrow)

Compare it with the F1-75 where the shape of the chassis was linear / flat

bananapeel23

Fer.Fan wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 19:14
Do we know anything about weelbase of new car? It appears to be bit longer compared to sf-75.
I'm fairly certain that every team, barring Alfa were cranked in regards to wheelbase in 2022.