2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Jak Crawford could pass for Lando Norris

Alo_Fan

Alonso seemed really happy in his interview after the day, I hope it can challenge for podiums from the start of the season again. Would be lovely, but this season the top teams definitely will be more prepared than last.

Alo_Fan

Realistically if we can aim to be within 3 tenths a lap of Red Bulls race pace, that would be a decent foundation. I like what Fallows said about having a better base to develop this season more aggressively and hopefully we can close even more during the season this year

KimiRai
KimiRai

Edd Straw asked Fallows a thought @organic had shared previously
One thing I did find interesting Mark when he had our little media session with Dan Fallows, the technical director, we both had a go at asking him versions of this question about the lessons of last year, he said they were confident they learned them... I tried to get a little bit of an idea from him about whether those lessons meant they had to change what they were doing with their 2024 aero development, 'cause sometimes you have to kinda take a step back and slightly change what you were doing with the direction, but he dodged that element of it.
So, obviously he's under no obligation to talk about that in detail but that for me is the really really interesting thing, has that had a little bit of a delaying factor in the development progress they've made, cause things have been a little bit of a rush at times, so I do wonder if in parallel to the kind of scrambling to make last year's car work, the way it was feeding into the 2024 development, it was already well advanced by that stage. Must've been a relevant factor.
Perhaps in the most optimistic sense, this could mean Aston has some development potential ahead of them.

Edd & Mark also mentioned that there was "a certain hint of slight frustration" behind Fallows' words about the inherited Merc 2024 suspension, this is admittedly way too much speculation but perhaps it wasn't the exact thing he wanted
There was in some of his language a certain hint of slight frustration, not massively but you just feel that maybe they thought there was a bit more they could do.
15:42 (bit earlier if you want context)
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/asto ... t-podcast/
Last edited by KimiRai on 13 Feb 2024, 07:16, edited 2 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mercedes is designing a suspension to suit Mercedes. This is the consequence of being a customer.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 02:11
Mercedes is designing a suspension to suit Mercedes. This is the consequence of being a customer.
It could also be that Mercedes went with this solution late in development, who knows
Last edited by KimiRai on 13 Feb 2024, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

RedNEO

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RedNEO wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 03:52
Is it just me or does Merc PU make strange noises now?

-wkst-
-wkst-

AMuS claims that (regarding the rumours about Allison) that Stroll wanted him to replace Krack.

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 07:50
AMuS claims that (regarding the rumours about Allison) that Stroll wanted him to replace Krack.
indeed
The first rumors arose during the winter break that Stroll was said to have tried to poach James Allison from Mercedes as Krack's replacement. But in the end, Allison decided to sign a new contract with his old employer.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... os-bilder/

Fallows hopes that the AMR24 has become more aerodynamically efficient and now has all-rounder qualities. Last season, Alonso complained about a lack of downforce in fast corners and weak top speed. That has been eradicated. The AMR24 is intended to be competitive on all tracks. The predecessor was rarely able to keep up with the competition, especially on fast courses.

Alo_Fan

I would much rather not be right at the front at Bahrain provided we have a better platform to develop throughout the season and end the season challenging for wins and then in 2025 at the start of the season start from where we left off. We didn't end 2023 very well at all.

-wkst-
-wkst-

When I remember correctly, they said about the same last year "good plattform, aggressive development plans". That's also a lot of blalba in my opinion.

After all you know how to develop a car or not. And as this is an evolution of the AMR23, I would be relieved if they start strong because it means that they are on the right path again and know what they do.

diffuser

rijtuig wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 10:50
zoroastar wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 19:29
rijtuig wrote:
12 Feb 2024, 16:49
Alonso is just bitter, at one point it was banter, but we've passed that a long long time ago.
thats bs man. read the whole interview instead of picking one sentence that covers your narrative. are you one of those guys that is in every alonso articles comment section comparing him to lewis's 7 titles? i bet you are, because, where have you been in the aston threads until now? haha who is really the one obsessing here?
I don't need to read anything. It's simple math, it starts with a 2 and ends with a 7.

:lol:
There was some negative comments from Hamilton at the end of last year with regards to the chances of Mercedes catching RBR in 2024. I think that's what Alonso is hinting at. That perhaps Hamilton thinks Ferrari have better chances of being competitive than Merc but didn't want to come right out and say that.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Alo_Fan wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 13:19
I would much rather not be right at the front at Bahrain provided we have a better platform to develop throughout the season and end the season challenging for wins and then in 2025 at the start of the season start from where we left off. We didn't end 2023 very well at all.
Like in Brazil?

Alo_Fan

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:26
Alo_Fan wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 13:19
Like in Brazil?
Even though we got a podium, race pace wasn't that impressive, Alonso was way off the pace of McLaren and Max. He had to block Perez for a long time to hold onto the podium and Charles didn't even make the grid, there were a lot of extenuating circumstances that weekend, including Mercedes picking the wrong setup due to the sprint weekend format.