Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
univex
univex

Re: Red Bull RB6

MW
“Today went well. We had a problem during practice this morning so I went out late for the first prime run. It meant I was therefore a little on the back foot going into qualifying, which wasn’t ideal preparation, but we refocused and got ready. Some new parts were bolted on to the rear of my car about four minutes before I went out for Q1,..."

CH
"I also have to say congratulations to Cengiz, one of our drivers, who delivered some last minute parts to Mark Webber’s car just in time for the start of the session."

Mark got bugger all pracitce in FP3 and by the time he got out could not get a clean run on the softs as he could not build up to speed and had to try for a quali run straight out which resulted in spins.
Add to this he had a changed car just before Q1, again something to adjust to. Quali was always going to be a build up to speed as he got used to the changes.

Given Horner's comments, did Vettel already have the new parts?
Last edited by univex on 30 May 2010, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

univex
univex

Come on. Roll bar linkage, new car, driver desperate to re-establish himself. He stuffed, it and hit a kerb. He was quicker than MW mostly in sector one which includes the tight stuff, he cuts corners more agressively and is genuinely the more ragged driver. I say he stuffed it, because he broke it.
They can fix it Sunday morning so it shouldn't be a problem in the race.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

univex wrote:MW
“Today went well. We had a problem during practice this morning so I went out late for the first prime run. It meant I was therefore a little on the back foot going into qualifying, which wasn’t ideal preparation, but we refocused and got ready. Some new parts were bolted on to the rear of my car about four minutes before I went out for Q1,..."

CH
"I also have to say congratulations to Cengiz, one of our drivers, who delivered some last minute parts to Mark Webber’s car just in time for the start of the session."

Mark got bugger all pracitce in FP3 and by the time he got out could not get a clean run on the softs as he could not build up to speed and had to try for a quali run straight out which resulted in spins.
Add to this he had a changed car just before Q1, again something to adjust to. Quali was always going to be a build up to speed as he got used to the changes.

Given Horner's comments, did Vettel already have the new parts?
I'm not sure what part was bolted on to Webber's car but from some pics I can see that the beam wing on his qually setup was straight where previously in the weekend in was a sculpted beam wing, similar, but not exactly like (as far as I can tell) the Monaco setup. It may have been the beam wing that was changed at the last minute.

FWIW, I think that the diffuser setup that RB has is something of an advantage in that the beam wing still functions as a wing, where most teams use the underside of the beam wing as a roof for the upper diffuser.
Last edited by BreezyRacer on 30 May 2010, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Anti roll bar failure huh?
Keeping in mind these parts are not on top the gear box like the other cars, it can be said vettel damaged them on the curbs. The ARB linkages more than likely point downwards and could be near the bell housing of the gearbox, low down to the ground.
And we all see how close these cars are running in turn 8 to the floor, scraping and bouncing.
this failure is similar 2009 European GP gearbox failure caused by Vettel's curb riding.

If it wasn't Vettel's driving, and the mechanics fault, it should be a difficult part for the mechanics to inspect as well, once everything is bolted up. The rb6 suspension is probably a pain in the ass to double check in the garage.
For Sure!!

univex
univex

legardj Red Bull think rollbar breakage caused Vettel problem in qualifying. Webber set up for 'old' rear wing. Straight out with new part
about 8 hours ago via UberTwitter

djos

univex wrote:Come on. Roll bar linkage, new car, driver desperate to re-establish himself. He stuffed, it and hit a kerb. He was quicker than MW mostly in sector one which includes the tight stuff, he cuts corners more agressively and is genuinely the more ragged driver. I say he stuffed it, because he broke it.
They can fix it Sunday morning so it shouldn't be a problem in the race.
I think Vettel is showing he is much harder on the Car than Mark and is breaking more parts on the car as a result.
"In downforce we trust"

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

I also think Vettel is hard on his car. Unnecessarily hard during the race in particular. Why smash over the kerbs during the race when you are merely holding your position? Qualifying hot laps are different.

marcush.
marcush.

the rbr6 is fragile and this is the archilles heel of their championship assault.
cracked monocoque,sheared off drive pegs,brakedisc failure,broken ARB linkage ,sparkplug or whatever failure,the list is endless ....

in my understanding RedBull will have very soon much more dificulties as when under pressure their failure rate will increase ,as they cannot nurse the car in the race especially in the first half when others are snapping at their backs...it´s not over yet.

univex
univex

Two greats of F1 with principles that led to great success and must be respected.
Colin Chapman, his principle was to build a racing car that was capable of crossing the finish line and no more. That is the challenge of the engineer.
Jack Brabham, never win a race by more than you have to. MW references this often.

marcush.
marcush.

no one said the thing should fall apart on its way into the grid... :wtf: that is a misinterpretation of chapmans words.

PlatinumZealot

I guess Newey works with low safety factors.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

axle
axle

djos wrote:I think Vettel is showing he is much harder on the Car than Mark and is breaking more parts on the car as a result.
I agree....looks like Seb's moved on though...to breaking Mark's car too :lol: :lol:
- Axle

marcush.
marcush.

axle wrote:
djos wrote:I think Vettel is showing he is much harder on the Car than Mark and is breaking more parts on the car as a result.
I agree....looks like Seb's moved on though...to breaking Mark's car too :lol: :lol:
=D> =D> =D> =D>

djos

axle wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

univex
univex

marcush. wrote:no one said the thing should fall apart on its way into the grid... :wtf: that is a misinterpretation of chapmans words.
Firstly they are not Chapmans words rather an interpretation of his approach to racing. Chapman would have argued that the car falling apart after the finish line would be the ultimate goal, as your car was built to last the race with just the right amount of tolerance and strength (translate wieght) as required. Why would you care if the car fell apart on its way to the grid if you still won the race. All you need to worry about is crossing the finish line in first place.

In his day, why build a race car that lasted years, when all it needed to do was last a race. Chapmans approach to building cars was quickly adopted by all other makers.

edit: this started with RBR being fragile at Turkey. Any further comments on this suggest a new thread.