Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
univex
univex

Re: Red Bull RB6

Back to the car finally!

Red Bull looks set to postpone further use of its F-duct until the European Grand Prix in over three weeks time.

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... 19139.html

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Same article also talks about the RB6's rear suspension was not up to spec ..

"There are also rumours that Red Bull had to change parts of its car in Turkey to conform to technical regulations. Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that parts of the rear suspension, hidden behind six burly Red Bull mechanics on the grid at recent grands prix, were aerodynamically shaped and at a 20 degree horizontal angle rather than the allowed five.

In response, Adrian Newey's design team reportedly shrouded the parts with round tubing in order to nullify the downforce-producing effect."

You have to look closely but I think you can see them here in this high res pic on the lower control arm, and maybe the upper one as well.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... a_2010.jpg

djos

univex wrote:Back to the car finally!

Red Bull looks set to postpone further use of its F-duct until the European Grand Prix in over three weeks time.

Bugger! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Oh 1 more thing .. the cheated up control arms shows you that Red Bull has a chassis that can balance out as much rear downforce that they can engineer into the car and they are doing everything possible to maximize it in race trim, at least at Turkey.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Damn! Two more things I wanted to mention about the Turkey car ..
First the turning vanes have been greatly reduced in size for this race
Second they have finally added some winglets to the inside of the rear hubs. Nothing like the massive ones that Renault and Mercedes use but it is something new for Red Bull.

Blackout

Exactly...
STR added similar winglets in Barcelona...

Richard
Richard

BreezyRacer wrote:Same article also talks about the RB6's rear suspension was not up to spec ..

"There are also rumours that Red Bull had to change parts of its car in Turkey to conform to technical regulations. Germany's Auto Motor und Sport reports that parts of the rear suspension, hidden behind six burly Red Bull mechanics on the grid at recent grands prix, were aerodynamically shaped and at a 20 degree horizontal angle rather than the allowed five.

In response, Adrian Newey's design team reportedly shrouded the parts with round tubing in order to nullify the downforce-producing effect."

You have to look closely but I think you can see them here in this high res pic on the lower control arm, and maybe the upper one as well.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... a_2010.jpg
This pic shows round suspension rods

segedunum
segedunum

univex wrote:Red Bull looks set to postpone further use of its F-duct until the European Grand Prix in over three weeks time.

Well, it is Helmut so take it with a pinch of salt, but I'm not suprised. They need to make absolutely sure this system works and doesn't adversely affect the rest of the car. Montreal will be damage limitation I feel. There just isn't the type of corners there where the RB6 is strong. Post Canada the circuits all look rather better for them.

WhiteBlue

The FiA technical report mentions that suspension parts were checked for conformity, but not that RB had to change the pull rods. The AMuS report on the pull rods also mentioned that they got their wrist slapped for for non conforming front wing elements that did not have the required thickness or radii. Those are set to minimum values to avoid carbon shards when wings get damaged.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 03 Jun 2010, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

myurr
myurr

segedunum wrote:
univex wrote:Red Bull looks set to postpone further use of its F-duct until the European Grand Prix in over three weeks time.

Well, it is Helmut so take it with a pinch of salt, but I'm not suprised. They need to make absolutely sure this system works and doesn't adversely affect the rest of the car. Montreal will be damage limitation I feel. There just isn't the type of corners there where the RB6 is strong. Post Canada the circuits all look rather better for them.
I think Red Bull may actually surprise everyone in Canada. Certainly in Turkey they were saved somewhat from the McLarens by turn 8, which Montreal just does not have, but I think they'll still have the measure of everyone else and are likely to push the McLaren's in qualifying at least.

Never know, McLaren could trip up with a bad setup or something that really shakes things up.

WhiteBlue

Marko confirmed again today that Red Bull will not run an F-Duct in Canada.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

godlameroso

I think that Red Bull won't be doing much in Valencia either, there is only the last couple of turns that require downforce, the rest of the track is stop and go.
Saishū kōnā

EL_XR6
EL_XR6

godlameroso wrote:I think that Red Bull won't be doing much in Valencia either, there is only the last couple of turns that require downforce, the rest of the track is stop and go.
Although not quite the same, Monaco is stop and go too. I think they'll be ok at Valencia. Montreal will be the first race they won't get pole.

raymondu999

Vettel was very close to pole in Singapore and Abu Dhabi, both stop-start-ish tracks though, and I imagine some of that mechanical performance must have been carried through. Valencia is quite similar to Singapore in layout IMO
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

Redbull could be in trouble approaching the final chicane, a long straight which does not have a fast corner leading to it such as turkey.