Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

I'm going to guess packaging, which then allows better cooling options/packaging.
Honda!

Dreameagl
Dreameagl

I don't see any obvious evidence of FRIC here, or am I just not looking at the right things?

Ferraripilot

Dreameagl wrote:
I don't see any obvious evidence of FRIC here, or am I just not looking at the right things?

I believe since Costa's arrival he has married the Fric system with more traditional arrangements as well, I could be wrong. I cannot tell much from that photo either.

SiLo

Ferraripilot wrote:
Dreameagl wrote:

I believe since Costa's arrival he has married the Fric system with more traditional arrangements as well, I could be wrong. I cannot tell much from that photo either.
It would make sense, Costa is very good with suspension design (as witnessed by the gorgeous front suspension) and it would probably give the car a slightly more natural feel to it as well.
Felipe Baby!

gray41

Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

dans79

That looks so much easier/nicer to drive than some of the other cars. The RBR10 for example, looked like it was trying to kill Vettel on several occasions yesterday.
201 105 104 9 9 7

gray41

Im not sure which type of lap Lewis was on but it looks "slow" because its so easy.

Just imagine when he has to rag it in qualifying tomorrow. :mrgreen:
Lewis Hamilton #44

dans79

gray41 wrote:Im not sure which type of lap Lewis was on but it looks "slow" because its so easy.

Just imagine when he has to rag it in qualifying tomorrow. :mrgreen:
I know, I was referring to slow laps in general. The Merc just looks more composed at a given speed than it's competitors do.
201 105 104 9 9 7

gray41

I think that could have been Lewis' fastest lap, crosses the line to start the lap around 6 seconds in, goes around to complete in about 1:30.
Lewis Hamilton #44

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Peep this. http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/wh ... gured-out/

The Mercedes-powered drivers don’t need to worry as much about this as the others for the efficiency of their energy recovery is such that even around Albert Park – a circuit with the second or third highest fuel consumption of the year – Mercedes teams were considering not putting in the full 100kg of fuel and perhaps short-fuelling. It implies that it’s quite feasible there will be no circuits on the calendar where the Mercs are fuel-limited.

“If that’s the case,” said one Renault-engined team engineer, “then they might as well give the trophies out now.” Ferrari and Renault are nowhere near achieving this at the moment.

If that is true than great job Mercedes =D>
Last edited by Emerson.F on 14 Mar 2014, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

FrukostScones

Brixworth.

I think a genius called Axel made this all possible. But correct me if I'm wrong. ( I think he was the wonder engineer behind the the Cosworth V8 and then changed to Mercedes... don't know if he is still involved anyone remember his full name?)
Last edited by FrukostScones on 14 Mar 2014, 23:01, edited 3 times in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

lol my bad :mrgreen:
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Burgess
Burgess

FrukostScones wrote:Brixworth.

I think a genius called Axel made this all possible. But correct me if I'm wrong. ( I think he was the wonder engineer behind the the Cosworth V8 and then changed to Mercedes... don't know if he is still involved anyone remember his full name?)
Perhaps someone scouring linkedIn might be able to find something?

FrukostScones

Burgess wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:Brixworth.

Perhaps someone scouring linkedIn might be able to find something?
Ah, I found him by google, Alexander Hitzinger now head of LMP1 development at Porsche.... sry for off topic.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Hail22

Rear of the W05 after being hoisted from the track:

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve