Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

XRayF1 wrote:
ferkan wrote:http://f1-insider.com/mercedes-neuer-wundermotor/

"Mercedes new superengine"

Can someone who knows a thing or two about German language translate this? From Google translate I get that they use some interesting "trick" and that one other engine manufacturer is playing with the same trick.
Here so little fuel is injected into the combustion chamber, the mixture would not burn with a normal spark. Therefore, the pre-chamber is then also enriched with an extremely small amount fuel, which is ignited by a spark plug in the prechamber.

Result: The hot gas wisps ignite the lean mixture in the rest of the cylinder. In particular in the partial load range Mercedes can thus save fuel which can be used in full throttle for more power.

I will try.

"The trick: a double injection together with a pre-chamber ignition.

Is this case only little fuel is injected into the (main) chamber, which would not ignite the mix using a standard spark. Therefore, the pre-chamber gets enriched with another extremely small quantity of fuel, but which in turn gets ignited by a spark plug in the pre-chamber.

The result: the hot gas strands inflame the meagre mix in the rest of the cylinder.
Especially under partial load, Mercedes may save fuel, which they may then spend at full throttle passages for more power."
My '71 W115/8 200d suddenly has got F1 tech.....

PlatinumZealot

JDC123 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The picket fence shape has less drag than a flat shape, but is almost as effective at deflecting the air. It is an aero trick.
As i've explained a few pages ago it is to stop/slow down the turbulent air hitting the drivers hand through corners where it would otherwise be exposed above the cockpit. I don't think it is a regulation to have one as i think i saw pictures of the mclarens after the race on sunday without them (they need as little drag as possible atm). The drag is negligible when you consider the amount of drag the car produces in total, and just like cockpit cooling ducts it is there to improve the comfort of the driver, something which will provide a much greater performance boost over a race distance.
I don't deny what is used for... that is obvious. Just saying the serrated one is an aero trick used on all sorts of devices.

Did you see the short flat version?

The drag and turbulence generated is not negligible. The serrated shape decreases the turbulence when compared to the flat windscreen of the same height (it also possible is quieter believe it or not). Check out google images and you will see two versions - the flat and the serrated one. The serrated one is taller (like 50mm). The flat one is very short (like 10mm).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

FrukostScones

is the pre-chamber ignition thing also something like creatively bypassing the fuel flow limit?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

dans79

FrukostScones wrote:is the pre-chamber ignition thing also something like creatively bypassing the fuel flow limit?
Nope, it's purely about combustion efficiency.
197 104 103 7

hurril
hurril

FrukostScones wrote:is the pre-chamber ignition thing also something like creatively bypassing the fuel flow limit?
What would that even mean?

Hail22

Singapore GP -

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Morteza

Singapore - Thursday

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Hail22

Singapore GP Thursday -

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Any new bits other than that huge flap of a rear wing?

siskue2005

new helmet??

SectorOne

It's Pascal Wehrlein.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

siskue2005

oh ok my bad, thank u =D>

astracrazy
astracrazy

what are they doing with him in the car? Safety checks?

atanatizante

tuj wrote:You guys seen this? http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420/ ... cy-in-2015

Apparently Ferrari picked up 40hp in fuel + combustion chamber optimization alone. Merc seems to have gained at least 40hp from their 2016-spec engine, a lot of that coming from the combustion concept.
No other Merc customer team could ever beat the factory PU and that is not for the fact that they receive engines from another batch, or the possibility of hidden powerful engine modes Merc team is using, no, one reason is having another fuel and lubes company (I also read the McLaren team official who was saying they were 20-30 HP down on power last year and the reason was their supplier Mobil 1) but the most important one is the fact that Merc engine is tailored for the Petronas fuels and lubes !

By the way could someone tell me which fuels use the customer teams?
Williams has Petrobras, Lotus - Total (I think) and FI I don't know ...
Same with the gearboxes, please ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Hail22

Singapore GP - Friday evening

Gilles Villeneuve