Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

That Mercedes is fast, that was one of the fastest laps of practise and it didn't look like he was pushing. I think Merc are sand bagging a bit, I expect a much faster quali time based on that video. Fernando was pushing the Ferrari very hard so I can't see anyone else being on pole but Merc

SiLo

Emerson.F wrote:Peep this. http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/wh ... gured-out/

The Mercedes-powered drivers don’t need to worry as much about this as the others for the efficiency of their energy recovery is such that even around Albert Park – a circuit with the second or third highest fuel consumption of the year – Mercedes teams were considering not putting in the full 100kg of fuel and perhaps short-fuelling. It implies that it’s quite feasible there will be no circuits on the calendar where the Mercs are fuel-limited.

“If that’s the case,” said one Renault-engined team engineer, “then they might as well give the trophies out now.” Ferrari and Renault are nowhere near achieving this at the moment.

If that is true than great job Mercedes =D>
I'm trying to get my head around this, surely they would use the maximum fuel rate all the time if this were the case so that they could produce the most power?
Felipe Baby!

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

SiLo wrote:
Emerson.F wrote:Peep this. http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/wh ... gured-out/

The Mercedes-powered drivers don’t need to worry as much about this as the others for the efficiency of their energy recovery is such that even around Albert Park – a circuit with the second or third highest fuel consumption of the year – Mercedes teams were considering not putting in the full 100kg of fuel and perhaps short-fuelling. It implies that it’s quite feasible there will be no circuits on the calendar where the Mercs are fuel-limited.

“If that’s the case,” said one Renault-engined team engineer, “then they might as well give the trophies out now.” Ferrari and Renault are nowhere near achieving this at the moment.

I'm trying to get my head around this, surely they would use the maximum fuel rate all the time if this were the case so that they could produce the most power?
Why would they? If they are able too run the engine at 80% at the same efficiency and speed as their competitors they would i think.
https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/444389225333788672
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

SiLo

They might do, but if you could run it reliably and produce more power whilst staying within the fuel rate limits, surely you would? And just finish the race a lot further in front that everyone else? I think we might be back to the days of seeing races won by more than about 10 seconds.
Felipe Baby!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Melbourne is one of the highest consumptions on the calendar. I doubt there is much benefit to running low on fuel this year.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wunderkind
wunderkind

FrukostScones wrote:Brixworth.

I think a genius called Axel made this all possible. But correct me if I'm wrong. ( I think he was the wonder engineer behind the the Cosworth V8 and then changed to Mercedes... don't know if he is still involved anyone remember his full name?)
Axel Wendorff? He left a long time ago. Unless, there is another Axel at Brixworth.

Cocles

SiLo wrote:

Who knows if this is the case, but perhaps being several kilograms lighter than everyone else throughout the race and running at 85% will put you further ahead than being the same weight as the rest while running at 100%.

ringo

That thing that shows what seems to be the compressor in front of the engine. I think we had this discussion in the engine thread. Someone had the idea, but i'm a bit skeptical on it being the compressor. There must be a ver long and heavy shaft going to the other side of the block relative to a typical turbo setup.
It's cooler than renault's solution for sure, but it's a bit extreme reliability wise for a not so obvious benefit.

edit: by the way, is this confirmed to be mercedes engine?
For Sure!!

Powershift

Cocles wrote:Who knows if this is the case, but perhaps being several kilograms lighter than everyone else throughout the race and running at 85% will put you further ahead than being the same weight as the rest while running at 100%.
Or maybe they can run at 100% but still only carry 98kg of fuel?
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

Powershift

dp dp
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

langwadt
langwadt

ringo wrote:That thing that shows what seems to be the compressor in front of the engine. I think we had this discussion in the engine thread. Someone had the idea, but i'm a bit skeptical on it being the compressor. There must be a ver long and heavy shaft going to the other side of the block relative to a typical turbo setup.
It's cooler than renault's solution for sure, but it's a bit extreme reliability wise for a not so obvious benefit.

edit: by the way, is this confirmed to be mercedes engine?
I assume most, if not all, of that heavy shaft would be the MGU-H

Powershift

langwadt wrote:I assume most, if not all, of that heavy shaft would be the MGU-H
no because the shaft would have to be between the V, and we see the TERS near the turbine

defender90
defender90

FrukostScones wrote:Brixworth.

I think a genius called Axel made this all possible. But correct me if I'm wrong. ( I think he was the wonder engineer behind the the Cosworth V8 and then changed to Mercedes... don't know if he is still involved anyone remember his full name?)
Axel is currently working on the Honda engine project for McLaren.

I believe the Mercedes press images with the turbo all at one end were a bit of a cover-up and that the turbo is indeed split with the compressor on one side of the engine and the turbine on the other.

gray41

Car ran the old front wing for qualifying, sticking with what they know or the new wing not working correctly?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

First pole for the W05
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag