Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

I checked the Ferrari thread as Owen suggested and I saw a cooler with big carbon fibre pipes sticking off it..Not confirmed if it is the intercooler or some other cooler but I am now 50/50 on whether water to air intercooling is being used..

Maybe Ferrari chose to have a shorter intake tract and tighter piping that water cooling provides?
Maybe Mercedes has done the same?

But if your packaging and piping is done right, air to air inter cooling gives more power and lighter weight.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Powershift

Top mount intercooler(air to air)? In the V where everyone else has their TERS? better packaging, shorter path for post turbo compressor air, thus giving better throttle response. No huge Intercooler in the side pod as Renault has in their pictures, opening up more side pod area for air & water radiators which also cool the energy store.

The air box "ears"(where the AMG letters are) seem to be for gearbox cooling, while the air box seems to feed both the engine air and intercooler air which may also be used to cool the TERS down the line.

I must see more of this engine
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

thomin

A completely unrelated question: Whatever happened to the passive DRS? Outlawed? Or simply not working good enough?

gray41

tranquility2k4 wrote:
gray41 wrote:Car ran the old front wing for qualifying, sticking with what they know or the new wing not working correctly?
Can anyone confirm this and why they did not run new wing? Could it be something to do with the rain? Or maybe new front wing is designed to work with the new nose, which has not yet passed the crash test.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 86x590.jpg

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 86x590.jpg

They had it on while it was dry too.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Anon123
Anon123

thomin wrote:A completely unrelated question: Whatever happened to the passive DRS? Outlawed? Or simply not working good enough?
I think it might be something that's on hold for now, the cars will develop so fast this year in the more important areas of the car so it's probably a waste of time trying to get passive DRS working for a few extra tenths. In the time it takes to build your car around an effective passive DRS the other teams have probably found a lot more time elsewhere.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Anon123 wrote:
thomin wrote:A completely unrelated question: Whatever happened to the passive DRS? Outlawed? Or simply not working good enough?
I think it might be something that's on hold for now, the cars will develop so fast this year in the more important areas of the car so it's probably a waste of time trying to get passive DRS working for a few extra tenths. In the time it takes to build your car around an effective passive DRS the other teams have probably found a lot more time elsewhere.
I think it's more likely that the team just realise that it's too finicky, and won't ever be usable in a race. Multiple teams have been testing it for a couple of years so far, and none of them have ever been able to actually run it.

Burgess
Burgess

Well Lotus at Silverstone. But it didn't exactly help.

kooleracer
kooleracer

With these fixed ratios and extra straight line speed, i think the benefit of such a system has become really marginal.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

f1rules
f1rules

myurr
myurr

That's some beautiful packaging there.

SectorOne

Sparks flying from the car.

Last edited by SectorOne on 16 Mar 2014, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

basti313
basti313

SectorOne wrote:Sparks flying from the car. Will try to get a bigger one up,

http://i.imgur.com/hBwbNBc.gif
Nice gif.
I do not think these come from inside the car. Maybe just a cigarette fliped at the car...or the front wing hitting the street?
In this Italian article they are talking about ERS. But there are no parts or cables in front of the driver seat of ERS. The normal low voltage, low energy system of the car can hardly produce sparks.
Don`t russel the hamster!

SectorOne

Here´s the 1920x1080 version of it.
Sparks is just appearing out of nowhere.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/c93XPgoR9N/
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PhillipM
PhillipM

Reflection on the inside paintwork from sparks off the front wing on the right of the car.

Cocles

PhillipM wrote:Reflection on the inside paintwork from sparks off the front wing on the right of the car.
That or the sparks are from whatever footage that gif is dissolving into and not from the car at all. It seems to be the pit wall though, so it's probably what you said.