COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

waynes wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 09:49
so what tech are Mercedes HPP using?

their own injection system?
It's just an air pump - a suitable fan would be sufficient. It just blows normal air through a tube in to a mask. There is a bit of control electronics to allow the appropriate air pressure to be achieved in the lungs. It's about as simple a "ventilator" as you can get - indeed it's not technically a ventilator at all.

I'd guess that Mercedes are just providing the manufacturing facilities as they can rapid prototype stuff etc. The actual device has been designed by the academics who reverse engineered an existing machine.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

waynes
waynes

thanks for the info :)

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 10:15
waynes wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 09:49
so what tech are Mercedes HPP using?

their own injection system?
It's just an air pump - a suitable fan would be sufficient. It just blows normal air through a tube in to a mask. There is a bit of control electronics to allow the appropriate air pressure to be achieved in the lungs. It's about as simple a "ventilator" as you can get - indeed it's not technically a ventilator at all.

I'd guess that Mercedes are just providing the manufacturing facilities as they can rapid prototype stuff etc. The actual device has been designed by the academics who reverse engineered an existing machine.
I believe my Uncle has one of these more or less to control his 'snoring' (sleep apnea).

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 10:27

I believe my Uncle has one of these more or less to control his 'snoring' (sleep apnea).
Yes, that is one of the usual uses for them.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The device in question:

That looks like it uses the O2 flow coming in to help draw ambient air in to the device to "bulk up" the supply. The O2 supply is obviously pressurised and the resultant combined flow will be at greater than atmospheric pressure but less than the O2 supply's pressure. Compact little bit of kit.

Big Tea

From what I saw of the prototype it seems that it is more or less a hand operated one but set in a cube to operate it by pressure/vacuum. If it works, the more simple the better.

This shows differing options though
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... d-19-fight
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 11:57
From what I saw of the prototype it seems that it is more or less a hand operated one but set in a cube to operate it by pressure/vacuum. If it works, the more simple the better.

The one Mercedes are involved with is not a ventilator, it's a pressure breathing device. As shown in the pictures above.

toraabe
toraabe

Smart

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 12:16
Big Tea wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 11:57

The one Mercedes are involved with is not a ventilator, it's a pressure breathing device. As shown in the pictures above.
Yeh, Sorry, I got it confused with the one UCL have been developing, as it had their name in the BBC article

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Marko actively wanted Red Bull's drivers to get together and get COVID-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52091905
Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko said he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus while the season is in hiatus.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come".

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.

The rest of Red Bull management were against the idea, which was abandoned.

"Let's put it this way: it has not been well received," Marko said.
Rich guy divorced from reality talks rubbish, shocker. :lol:

izzy
izzy

The best thing about the new breather is how the regulatory body fast tracked it, that's something I've been thinking about for all these slightly optimistic ventilator numbers

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:31

Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko said he advised his drivers to become infected with coronavirus while the season is in hiatus.

The 76-year-old said he had the idea to bring his Formula 1 drivers and juniors together in a camp, which "would be the ideal time for the infection to come".

"They are all strong young men in good health. That way they would be prepared whenever the action starts," he said.

I quite like the idea, at some levels. Just for being out of the box and insane, and kind of characteristic of a death-cheating old school racer :)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:37
The best thing about the new breather is how the regulatory body fast tracked it, that's something I've been thinking about for all these slightly optimistic ventilator numbers
It's a copy of an existing design, it seems. They apparently reverse engineered it so presumably the simplicity of the design and the fact that it was based on an existing unit, meant getting it signed off was straight forward. Also, it's an air supply rather than a proper ventilator so it's probably easier to get certified anyway.

I'm interested how Mercedes's engine factory will put these together whilst keeping people apart etc. I know "essential work" overrides the social distancing thing, but they don't want to create a pool of infection.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:31

I quite like the idea, at some levels. Just for being out of the box and insane, and kind of characteristic of a death-cheating old school racer :)
What it says to me is that he's more interested in getting a title for the team / his boss than he is about the safety of his drivers. Whilst it's true that the vast majority of deaths are old/already ill people, it appears that some younger, otherwise healthy, victims have died too. It should certainly show Alex Albon that, if he didn't already realise it, Marko is happy to throw people under the bus in order to get Max his first title and secure the title of "youngest ever winner!". :evil:

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 14:49
izzy wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 13:37
It's a copy of an existing design, it seems. They apparently reverse engineered it so presumably the simplicity of the design and the fact that it was based on an existing unit, meant getting it signed off was straight forward. Also, it's an air supply rather than a proper ventilator so it's probably easier to get certified anyway.

I'm interested how Mercedes's engine factory will put these together whilst keeping people apart etc. I know "essential work" overrides the social distancing thing, but they don't want to create a pool of infection.

If (and I do not know if they are) working in a clean room they wil already have most of the protection in place.