Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Schumacher isnt downplaying anything.

Just Autosport shannanigans. He is expecting progress, but he wont be held down on how much progress.
"Our step forward in Barcelona will be bigger than you can make at each race during the flyaways but it would not be realistic to expect us to suddenly be competing right at the front."

Glass half full or half empty, either way Schumi is expecting progress....
More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Timstr wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Clearly the latter :)
You could say that for the entire team. What's more important is that Mercedes bought Brawn with all the facilities AND IP of contemporary F1 gearbox technology. Mercedes don't have an F1 gearbox. That was McLaren's territory.
In the Honda days, the team was one of the first to successfully run a carbon fibre case and one of the first to introduce fast shifting gearboxes. Mercedes has now bought into all of that IP with the purchase of the team.
There's not a lot of new developments going on in F1 gearboxes these days anyway, as the rules are very restrictive.

Yes Thank you :) As I said Mercedes investment at work, they appear to have a got an even better return that this team does its own gearboxes.
Mercedes not having to use McLaren tech lets them just get on with it.
I was aware Brawn had the werewithal to do a gearbox, just under the impression that with the late Mercedes F108X engine installation in 09, that they didnt have the time to mate a Honda gearbox to a Mercedes powerplant. Nor that it was possible as gearboxes these days are pretty complex machines.

Any info on this carbon cased gearbox?
David Purley

dren

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Schumacher isnt downplaying anything.

Just Autosport shannanigans. He is expecting progress, but he wont be held down on how much progress.
"Our step forward in Barcelona will be bigger than you can make at each race during the flyaways but it would not be realistic to expect us to suddenly be competing right at the front."

Glass half full or half empty, either way Schumi is expecting progress....
Yeah, I don't think he's downplaying anything, just sounds realistic. He did the same after testing and was about spot on. I was hoping for Mercedes to get closer to the top, especially with all of the changes being made to the car. This just sounds like routine updates that all the other teams will bring.
Honda!

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Any info on this carbon cased gearbox?
Racecar Engineering ran an article way back during the BAR days. Might be able to find it on their site for back issue....

marcush.
marcush.

that was the reworked gearbox ,possibly the one they use currently???

bar555 wrote:GP of ABU DHABI
GEARBOX - ABU DHABI

Button had a new gearbox for Abu Dhabi
also from the same thread of 2009 some comments from Espirium about the brawn car..and how much potential was left in the BGP001 ...quite funny to see them struggling now...drivers believe everything they are told...or what?:

From what ive been reading in Jenson Button: My Championship Year and F1 Racing (December 09 or January 10 issue, i cannot remember whitch one) that the Brawn BGP001 could have been up to 3 seconds faster than it actually was if it;

1) Was designed for the Mercedes Benz FO108W as the centre of gravity was raised about 2-3CM and the CoG for the gearbox was raised up to 4CM as well. Not to mention the 20KG extra carbon work that was at the back of the chassis to accomidate the FO108Ws power unit.
2) Aero work could have been better, again relating to the Mercedes unit.
3) Nosecone - Could have been developed futher and exploit the rules more to give better aero efficency.
4) Heat Generation in tyres. If this was resolved, the car could have been up with the Red Bull RB5 on colder days.
6) Rear wing - They only produced 3 types all season, about 14-18 in total, as they couldnt use what they had found in the tunnel and CFD due to budget constraints.
7) KERS - The RA109 was to have KERS for the RA807E powerplant, all to be housed below the drivers seat, but for the FO108W, they housed the oil tank here, and the KERS batteries would have gone here for the Mercedes unit. However, the control unit would have required a air cooling element to be added for the Mercedes unit.
8) Budget, if the yearly budget wasnt a rumored £110million and was the £400million that Honda were going to allocate, things would have been alot easier overall.

Basically if the whole car was designed for the Mercedes unit from Day 1, and not for the Honda unit, the BGP001 would have been about 2-3 seconds a lap faster. All things considered.

raceman
[/quote]
bar555 wrote:GEARBOX

Seven speed unit with carbon composite maincase
Gear selection: Sequential, semi-automatic, hydraulic activation
Clutch: Carbon plate
Manufactured by Honda

marcush.
marcush.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Wow thank you Marcush :lol:

I would imagine then that the proposed smaller gearbox thats been speculated will have naturally been tested with only the F108X engine in mind.
Is it carbon cased aswell? What are the benefits apart from weight?
Or is weight the only benefit to be had from carbon?

Thanks once again. =D>
David Purley

Timstr
Timstr

marcush. wrote:that was the reworked gearbox ,possibly the one they use currently???
Why do you think a major team would re-use an old gearbox in the new season?
Surely they have a new design each year, with new suspension pick-up points, dimensions, damper arrangemnts etc. Hell they're even changing it mid season (e.g. shorter gearbox for Barcelona).

marcush.
marcush.

Timstr wrote:
marcush. wrote:that was the reworked gearbox ,possibly the one they use currently???
Surely they have a new design each year, with new suspension pick-up points, dimensions, damper arrangemnts etc. Hell they're even changing it mid season (e.g. shorter gearbox for Barcelona).
why would a major team reuse last years wings?

they use exactly the same engine,as a starter...also from the distance it looks like suspension points have not been moved yet.
I remember Gary Savage(of then BAR) stating in Racecar engineering that they indeed have very long service lives for the gearboxes .If i rmember correctly the total number of boxes they build back then was really low as it was so elaborate ,and they prefer to repair and keep them in service as long as possible.
The current box Merc is using is indeed stemming from that CF box that changed BAR to a race winning team so i have no reason to think they would build new boxes if they would not have a need to do that( suspension points moving too much to be accomodated for example,or aerodynamic restraints).

As for the ballast placement ,one can clearly see just how much empty space there is inside the bellhousing where you could easily place ballast...

F1_eng
F1_eng

Great marcush, problem solved, ballast in the bell-housing for next race, easy as that, where do you come up with these wonderful ideas.

Suspension points not moving from one season to another with hugely different requirements? Do you want one of the pick-ups to be places on the drivers head for you to notice a difference, or have you just not looked properly?
The engines are not exactly the same, the gearboxes are constantly changing either due to design or rule requirements.
It would be fairly common to use wings from previous years since it is to an extent, one of the most isolated aero devices on the car, and most teams not coming up with hugley radical airbox/engine cover shapes.

Less than a week now till people can see what updates have been made.

Bandes
Bandes

I guess this is the new chassis. Picture is from the new Silverstone Arena Circuit opening.

timbo
timbo

Bandes wrote:Image

I guess this is the new chassis. Picture is from the new Silverstone Arena Circuit opening.
No, this is actually Honda 2008/2009 test mule.
Note 2008 style rear wing and the roll hoop.

Bandes
Bandes

timbo wrote:
Bandes wrote: I guess this is the new chassis. Picture is from the new Silverstone Arena Circuit opening.
No, this is actually Honda 2008/2009 test mule.
Note 2008 style rear wing and the roll hoop.
Hmm, yeah it looked familiar to me. I did a few searches for Honda chassis, but i did not find anything similar. It could still make sense, since it was reported they will make the chassis more slim compared to the actual.

Now i got it:
http://www.sportindustry.biz/resource/b ... _honda.jpg

Timstr
Timstr

marcush. wrote:
Timstr wrote:
why would a major team reuse last years wings?

they use exactly the same engine,as a starter...also from the distance it looks like suspension points have not been moved yet.
I remember Gary Savage(of then BAR) stating in Racecar engineering that they indeed have very long service lives for the gearboxes .If i rmember correctly the total number of boxes they build back then was really low as it was so elaborate ,and they prefer to repair and keep them in service as long as possible.
The current box Merc is using is indeed stemming from that CF box that changed BAR to a race winning team so i have no reason to think they would build new boxes if they would not have a need to do that( suspension points moving too much to be accomodated for example,or aerodynamic restraints).

As for the ballast placement ,one can clearly see just how much empty space there is inside the bellhousing where you could easily place ballast...
As F1_eng already alluded to, you don't seem to have an idea about the constant development that's going on and changing requirements, both year-on-year and in season.

BTW Savage was talking about servicing gearboxes for use IN SEASON.

marcush.
marcush.

not many pics to be found of the 2010 box yet ...
zgred wrote:Image
zgred wrote:Image
but whoa ..a lot different...so my bad...who said the Mercedes was not a BIG departure from the BGP01?