Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ice__x
ice__x

Re: Mercedes W14

f1motta
f1motta

Rootsap
Rootsap

f1motta wrote:
25 May 2023, 09:38
Looks like a hybrid between AM and Ferrari

pursue_one's

MtthsMlw

via motorsport.com

SparkyAMG

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 May 2023, 10:13
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... tail-.webp
via motorsport.com
Quite a large 'overbite' with the mid-wing still in position and merging into the upper lip.

The relatively set back position of the lower lip makes the undercut appear smaller and the rest of the pod feels somewhat underdeveloped compared to some solutions, however I think this is probably the best they could do to move away from the previous concept without a new chassis.

The presence of the mid-wing tip vortex is going to be the main differentiator between this and other similar solutions, but the bigger performance gains will be in the new suspension platform and what they can subsequently find from developing the floor.
Last edited by SparkyAMG on 25 May 2023, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Bye bye slimpods, chunky cousins of zeropods... Too bad, I really wanted Merc to make them work.

The floor attachment line looks to follow the current floor, so we might see later another updated floor design with completely flat sides, like AMR.
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 25 May 2023, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 May 2023, 10:21
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fw9XyAGXwAI ... ame=medium

Bye bye slimpods, chunky cousins of zeropods... Too bad, I really wanted Merc to make them work.

The floor attachment line looks to follow the current floor, so we might see later another updated floor design with completely flat sides, like AMR.
I wonder if they're hoping to encourage the downwash wing's tip vortex to run along the side and under the rear of the sidepod - RB have a slight undercut along the sidepod that, from flow-viz images, appears to channel the flow around to the top of the diffuser very nicely.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vanja #66

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 May 2023, 10:27
I wonder if they're hoping to encourage the downwash wing's tip vortex to run along the side and under the rear of the sidepod - RB have a slight undercut along the sidepod that, from flow-viz images, appears to channel the flow around to the top of the diffuser very nicely.
It's impossible to say for now what happens with wingtip vortex now, but I don't see what would encourage it to move there. You can move vortices with high pressure and walls and I don't see anything that would do that until it reaches the rear tyre. RB undercut feeds the diffuser mouse hole, so that air goes inside and not over it.

#BlessYouLaddie

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 May 2023, 11:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 May 2023, 10:27
It's impossible to say for now what happens with wingtip vortex now, but I don't see what would encourage it to move there. You can move vortices with high pressure and walls and I don't see anything that would do that until it reaches the rear tyre. RB undercut feeds the diffuser mouse hole, so that air goes inside and not over it.
Yes, until we see it all built up we're just guessing, but I wondered if the shape of the shoulder might be a "wall" to direct the flow and thus the vortex. The RB doesn't push all of the air through the mousehole - there's a good picture somewhere that shows the flow viz going to three "zones" from the undercut - some going through the floor edge device, some to the mouse hole and some to the top of the diffuser (and hence the beam wing which is probably what they're aiming for with the air going over the top of the diffuser). As the W14 doesn't really have an undercut (not compared to the RB and others, anyway), they must be doing something with that tip vortex to direct flow other than just letting it slam back against the rear tyre.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Quite a steep slope by the looks of it.

Looks like it goes right to the floor?

Undercut doesn't look like the most powerful thing and quite far forward compared to every other team who've been trying their best to mimic RBs undercut much further back.

SuperCNJ
SuperCNJ

Any clues as to whether they have moved the seat position back?

Vanja #66

Redesigned internals, of course.

Good front suspension comaprison

OLD

NEW

Top front arm is the one with the biggest change. Big changes needed on the chassis for this, if they managed to reuse the existing ones it's a big engineering feat.

Also, looks like an opening on the bottom of the chassis right after the nose connection.
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 25 May 2023, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.

#BlessYouLaddie