Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ArchAngel

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Only a few more hours to go before we finally see the much-anticipated brand-spanking new B-spec car in full & in action that could either reignite Schumacher's comeback [-o< OR bring Rosberg his first F1 win =D> OR just barely allow them to retain their place in the current pecking order Image due to similar performance improvements from the other top teams.

rjsa
rjsa

Great looks!

My take at is from a couple of years ago, trying to prove my concept of a convex hull rule to get rid of the aero nonsense:

zgred

MichaelW
MichaelW

Reading Scarbs blog he seems not very confident that much time can be gained with it

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

bugref
bugref

Still a drooping nose W01 I thought they are going to change this but I was wrong.

djones
djones

I know looks dont = performance, but I bet we dont 'see' anything as radical from the others.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

bugref wrote:Still a drooping nose W01 I thought they are going to change this but I was wrong.
They are not allowed to change it, its a homologized part. They can't change it during the season so they'll have to use this until the bitter end.

siskue2005

imightbewrong wrote:
bugref wrote:Still a drooping nose W01 I thought they are going to change this but I was wrong.
They are not allowed to change it, its a homologized part. They can't change it during the season so they'll have to use this until the bitter end.
No....they cannot change the chasssis only
they can change the nose cone....as changing it wont require a crash test IIRC

Pandamasque

imightbewrong wrote:
Nosecone != monocoque.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

siskue2005 wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:
No....they cannot change the chasssis only
they can change the nose cone....as changing it wont require a crash test IIRC
Pandamasque wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:
Nosecone != monocoque.

You recall wrong, it requires a crash test and they cannot change it.

Edit: If you don't trust me, at least trust Mike Gascoyne (at 2m53s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1xYrrDypI#t=2m53s
Last edited by imightbewrong on 06 May 2010, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

madly
madly

New air intake looks like some old fighter jets. I like it!

Do I see correct, that intake splits air stream into two parts, one horizontal and one diagonal, going down? Horizontal goes into engine, and diagonal into DDD?

Afterburner

I'm not seeing this solution beating the F-duct in terms of performance...

MichaelW
MichaelW

True. What could that be worth, 1-2 tenth? But then other teams can´t find time at this part of the car anymore

Tim.Wright

djones wrote:I like that a lot.

Interesting how the airbox is actaully not connected to the main upright part, its a few mm away.

Why would this be?
My guess (and I'm not a fluids expert) is that its away from the vertical surface to avoid the stagnant boundary layer attached to it.

I guess these intakes are restricted in cross sectional area(?) If so, you wouldnt want to waste any of your allowed mm^2 by feeding them shitty low energy air.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

raymondu999

nothing's actually changed with the nose and front wing. Has it?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法