McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Blackout wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 06:17
McFAN wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 01:02
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwo-bRyTPZc

Reaction by Marc Priestley.
Wow, the car slims down fast after the roll hoop! How did they do that!? =D>
>Either by:
-digging the tub sides further to push the coolers further inboard*
(modified Piola and Scarbs drawings)
-or by buying/copying the Merc water-air intercooler like Platinum suggested (it doenst belong to the listed parts anymore AFAIK)
-by having Merc exhasut and merc-style bellhousing viewtopic.php?p=952314#p952314
-or by having lower cooling needs

>or all the aforemontionned factors put together

*but that should lengthen the tub, and the car... like a Mercedes... is this car longer?
Key mentioned that the car had indeed a longer wheelbase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

M840TR wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:19

no rake at 200mph.
True, but suspension only travels so far, even under full load. From what you can see of the light underneath the car's pretty flat, I would expect more light showing through from the RB16 at that speed.

Still Mclarens for a while have been pretty mid-ranged for rake, but it will be interesting to finally see the various solutions on all the cars with regard to the new floor/diffuser regs

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:37

Yes, did he say it was because the Merc PU sits a little further back they had to make to car longer to meet the weight split requirements, or am I confusing his words with someone else's?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Just_a_fan wrote:
Emag wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:16
Like I said to a previous post, it's a bit wet at Silverstone today. :lol:
They will be there on thursday again. Using both filming days within the week. Maximizing testing time I guess, even though filming days are somewhat restrictive in what you can do.
Thursday's likely to be wet too, unfortunately.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637827
This runs aren’t about performance really, so the weather isn’t that big of an impact... Dry would have been better, yes... But at this point is more reliability checks, cooling system checks, etc... The car will probably be disassembled tonight to check every nook and cranny and reassembled tomorrow for Thursday runs.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mclaren111 wrote:https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/78172/an ... ssors.html

Clear cutting can also be clearly seen at the diffuser

That baldness is even more noticeable at the rear of the car. The complex diffuser has been almost completely polished off. All that's left is a simple rectangular, upside-down container. Just like the floor for the rear wheels, we will also see this with the other teams. Below you can first see the diffuser from 2020 and then again below the diffuser for 2021.
Image Image

Is this guy on drugs ?? :shock: :shock:
Isn’t that blog where you got the Rich Energy information?... I would simply stop reading that :)

Blackout

F1NAC wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 09:19
Revolutionary diffuser without strakes!

:lol:
They stole it :evil:

I know i know... :arrow:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Yes, did he say it was because the Merc PU sits a little further back they had to make to car longer to meet the weight split requirements, or am I confusing his words with someone else's?
The comment was in regards to the bell housing of the new engine... They needed to extend the wheel base to accommodate it... But the mention is of an “slight” increase.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
Emag wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:24

They will be there on thursday again. Using both filming days within the week. Maximizing testing time I guess, even though filming days are somewhat restrictive in what you can do.
Thursday's likely to be wet too, unfortunately.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637827
This runs aren’t about performance really, so the weather isn’t that big of an impact... Dry would have been better, yes... But at this point is more reliability checks, cooling system checks, etc... The car will probably be disassembled tonight to check every nook and cranny and reassembled tomorrow for Thursday runs.

Indeed so. But nicer for everyone if it's dry. A wet Silverstone is a miserable place to be.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Herr_Koos

Blackout wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:50
F1NAC wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 09:19
Revolutionary diffuser without strakes!

:lol:
They stole it :evil:

https://i.redd.it/q197ktx44gi21.jpg

I know i know... :arrow:
And JPS totally stole the idea for that livery from Haas / Rich Energy. How dare they.

Blackout

:mrgreen:

M840TR
M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:57
the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

The comment was in regards to the bell housing of the new engine... They needed to extend the wheel base to accommodate it... But the mention is of an “slight” increase.

bell housing of the transmission, i hope u mean.

f1rules
f1rules

it really is a very agressive sidepod design, ramp

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McLaren MCL35M

M840TR wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 17:57
the EDGE wrote:

bell housing of the transmission, i hope u mean.
I’m sorry, yes... I meant to say that they had to modify (extend) the gearbox bell housing to accommodate the Merc engine

Last edited by SmallSoldier on 16 Feb 2021, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules
f1rules

from instagram

DiogoBrand

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 16:15
DiogoBrand wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 15:25
Isn't it interesting how those are called "filming days" but all the footage we actually get to see is from people around the track with smartphones? :lol: :lol:
They have a truck with a camera rig on it which takes the professional promotional stuff. That will be released once the PR and design departments have edited it together for promotional purposes. But you knew that, didn't you? :wink: :lol:
What I meant to say is that those days are just an excuse to test the car. They just film it and make a short video because it has to be a "filming day". Actually, the less footage they release of it, the better. I know it never happened before, but you never know when there's gonna be a team trying to copy someone else's car. :?