2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
propercare
propercare

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Trolling aside, I'm baffled how did Lando improved only 0.2 from FP2 times. Almost all of other teams went -0.8 at least from yesterday. Balance gone wrong or they balanced with race setup?

Ben1980
Ben1980

Avocado wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 18:52
Macklaren wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 18:36
There is some WMD-grade trolling in this thread. It's actually quite impressive
The truth hurts. Take off your rose colored glasses. I've been a McLaren fan since I was a kid. But this is no longer the team I know. They've become a parody.

Well, at least Zak seems proud of his digital billboard. Now that's something.
A parody?

bauc

Great effort by Lando to put that car on P11, for Oscar its normal it is his first qualy in a difficult car so I cant judge him.
I think Lando can squeeze a point tomorrow (on merrit) as I think a lot of the teams have high tire deg here where Mclaren is somewhat neutral in that sense (or at least it seems that way)

I wonder how the people here feel when they told me I should be realistic and don't expect a overnight performance jump by Mclaren when they see what has AM done with their car over the winter.

WE WILL WIN AGAIN - !
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Avocado wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
The truth hurts. Take off your rose colored glasses. I've been a McLaren fan since I was a kid. But this is no longer the team I know. They've become a parody.

The car isn't bad as it looks, it's just the first weekend of the calendar and the midfield is packed up very close, i never doubted and was not surprised by the performance as i knew they were around a second slower than a top team, and i know they will catch up the other midfield teams as their plan is to bring upgrades throughout the year just like last year and they will find good amount of performance as time goes on slowly, also they were quite clear with expectations and they are focused with Baku Upgrade as the current package they wont bring much updates to it as it's no point to improve it much, if Baku upgrade doesn't work then that's an different topic to be angry about, but once you are a McLaren fan you will always be an McLaren fan, we have all been through Ups and Downs over the years as i have been a fan since Senna-Prost days, keep faith in them.

organic

The midfield is so close that only a couple of tenths leap from the upgrade in the pipeline and a more optimal downforce level could be enough to leapfrog alfa Romeo, and maybe even alpine (although that may be track dependent).

And even without the upgrade Alfa's and especially Haas' degradation was quite poor in long runs so I think Norris can potentially beat them on merit already.

Ben1980
Ben1980

bauc wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:14
Great effort by Lando to put that car on P11, for Oscar its normal it is his first qualy in a difficult car so I cant judge him.
I think Lando can squeeze a point tomorrow (on merrit) as I think a lot of the teams have high tire deg here where Mclaren is somewhat neutral in that sense (or at least it seems that way)

I wonder how the people here feel when they told me I should be realistic and don't expect a overnight performance jump by Mclaren when they see what has AM done with their car over the winter.

WE WILL WIN AGAIN - !

How would you have felt with a performance lije AM over the last 2 years though?

If Mclaren had 2x7th place finishes the fans would have been calling for heads before having the chance to improve.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 18:00
So is the car draggy again? Are we missing that top speed that made all the difference?
The team will also be carrying gear ratios for a less draggy car, if that is what they expect in Baku.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Good result after almost getting knocked out in Q1.

Couple of things to remember. McLaren did the least number of laps in testing, on this same exact track. This means any other team had more data and probably better setup.

This is probably one of the reasons it is so tight. We will see how it shapes out on other tracks. I expect McLaren will improve and the gaps overall will widen. Another midfield season is on our hands.

bauc

Ben1980 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:22
bauc wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:14

WE WILL WIN AGAIN - !

How would you have felt with a performance lije AM over the last 2 years though?

If Mclaren had 2x7th place finishes the fans would have been calling for heads before having the chance to improve.
My point is that you can do a jump in performance of that magnitude even though someone claimed here that with the new rules that is simply not the case, on long term Mclaren I believe will be faster than AM but the season will be over by then.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

genarro
genarro

Avocado wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

You my friend are going to the ignore list. Bye

Darth-Piekus

It wasnt a good result almost getting knocked out of Q1 and I would wait for the Baku upgrade before making any assimptions to where the rest of the year goes.

Avocado
Avocado

genarro wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:39
You my friend are going to the ignore list. Bye
Lovely.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I’m mildly okay with what we’ve seen. Bahrain being a low point last year, the car is definitely faster. I think the downforce produced is coming with too big a drag penalty. If we can become more efficient (hinting: breakthrough with Baku development direction) then we should have a much better car. Still, we need to out develop by some margin to regain momentum into 2024

mwillems

I thought 11th was OK, I'm not upset with that. It looks worse because of how we sneaked through to Q2, but the car looks OK. I do expect this track to be one of our worst so if this is what one of our worst performances might look like, I'm OK with that.

-Bandit

mwillems

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:48
I’m mildly okay with what we’ve seen. Bahrain being a low point last year, the car is definitely faster. I think the downforce produced is coming with too big a drag penalty. If we can become more efficient (hinting: breakthrough with Baku development direction) then we should have a much better car. Still, we need to out develop by some margin to regain momentum into 2024
Snap, you beat me to it.

-Bandit