Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ArchAngel

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

I suspect that, aside from the more obvious gains in terms of reduction of drag and possibly cleaner airflow towards the rear wing, the airbox and engine cover may have also been been reworked in close conjunction with their F-duct solution.

siskue2005

imightbewrong wrote:
You recall wrong, it requires a crash test and they cannot change it.

Edit: If you don't trust me, at least trust Mike Gascoyne (at 2m53s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1xYrrDypI#t=2m53s
thanks for clearing that up
its true they are stuck with that nosecone till 2011 :(

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

siskue2005 wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:
You recall wrong, it requires a crash test and they cannot change it.

Edit: If you don't trust me, at least trust Mike Gascoyne (at 2m53s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1xYrrDypI#t=2m53s
thanks for clearing that up
its true they are stuck with that nosecone till 2011 :(
What I don't understand is why everybody is assuming that it is a bad nose cone? Does anyone know for sure that they would indeed change it if they were allowed?

bill shoe
bill shoe

siskue2005 wrote:
bill shoe wrote:
They did the Ferrari trick of adding a radiator vent out the sidepod and calling it part of the exhaust hole by virtue of there being a tiny slot cut between the "real" exhaust hole and the new vent. I assume this will become F1 standard unless the rules are changed.
They have that since Malaysia
Ooops. I didn't see it clearly at Malaysia because it was crammed into the previous short wheelbase length :lol: .

timbo
timbo

imightbewrong wrote:What I don't understand is why everybody is assuming that it is a bad nose cone? Does anyone know for sure that they would indeed change it if they were allowed?
That's the same story as with Renault R29))
People don't like the looks)

raymondu999

Well I don't think it'll be all bad. We are, after all, dealing with Ross Brawn here. However, having said that, I wonder if we'll see a "redesign" more rather than a "development" for 2011. This car was penned before Mercedes came into play. I wonder if Mercedes will be looking to get more involved in the next car design. And it seems (to my untrained eyes and aero knowledge) that this car is reaching its full potential.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Callum

I don't see why this new air intake will reduce drag?? The only thing I can think of is that it improves the airflow to the rear wing.

raymondu999

My guess is it'll reduce the frontal area I guess.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ArchAngel

imightbewrong wrote:What I don't understand is why everybody is assuming that it is a bad nose cone? Does anyone know for sure that they would indeed change it if they were allowed?
It is said that man uses only 10% of his brains' capacity. The other 90% of our brain is actually a dormant CFD & wind tunnel neural simulator. Unlike the boffins at MGP with their PhD's & supercomputers, some of our esteemed members here are actually capable of tapping into that latent mental faculty. :D

wesley123
wesley123

Callum wrote:I don't see why this new air intake will reduce drag?? The only thing I can think of is that it improves the airflow to the rear wing.
It is squashed more behind the drivers head thus reducing the frontal area.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

strad

Of course the nose has to be tested..Don't you recall the failed USF1effort and the nose test which was as far as they got?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Spectre23

Mercedes new engine cover

Does anyone know of some better pictures of their new engine cover? All I have seen is this one http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83340
Sorry if this is a repost. I didn't see it anywhere.

raymondu999

Re: Mercedes new engine cover

quite a few pics of the new cover in the actual W01 thread. Maybe that would've been a natural place to look? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

You do realize that the traditional design has always been a problem because airflow especially at high speed is affected by the drivers head/helmet??,,moving the intake further back should show less disruption by the driver.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Spectre23

Re: Mercedes new engine cover

Oh yeah. I forgot about those threads. they are part of the reason I don't come here very often. Great site, but threads with over 1,000 post are just annoying to look through no matter how much you like the topic.