2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Stu wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 10:21
saviour stivala wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 07:14
As I read somewhere a badly designed chassis might well be the prime cause contributing the most to the Mercedes ills.
There was some chatter a few weeks ago regarding the exhaust layout on the W13, my thoughts were that it made it would be very difficult to build a rigid enough bell-housing with the turbo-manifold layout that they are using (‘Medusa’-like).
‘’il progetto e sbagliato’’ – It suffers from more than one area with a fundamental flow (a floppy chassis) due to attempts to save weight, strengthening the monocoque they added more weight than stiffness. The Mercedes car situation is compounded by the US$140 million budget cap, as they are being forced to be selective on which areas of the car to fix, as they need a financial reserve with which to design the car for next year.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 19:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 19:47
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 11:11
Wonder what additional weight he's carrying. (for aero reasons, apparently). So can only be additional pitot tubes underfloor. But seems a pointless exercise since they havent brought any upgrades and same spec floor as they used in testing.

Orrrr..... its just a excuse to why he's off the pace.
It's not pointless if it gives them data that they can't get any other way. You can't upgrade a car until you know what it's doing.

Orrrr..... it's just an excuse to have a dig at Hamilton. :lol:
No digs.

Surely if the car is the same as what it was in testing, they will already have the air flow data on it
Depends if they had the kit ready to fit, depends on whether they were looking at a particular issue. Lots of reasons why they might be doing it now.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 23:01
chrisc90 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

It's not pointless if it gives them data that they can't get any other way. You can't upgrade a car until you know what it's doing.

No digs.

Surely if the car is the same as what it was in testing, they will already have the air flow data on it
Depends if they had the kit ready to fit, depends on whether they were looking at a particular issue. Lots of reasons why they might be doing it now.
It will also show differences in adjusted settings. Driver feedback is difficult to quantify for a designer, numbers are easier and quicker.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

silver
silver

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 23:01
chrisc90 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

No digs.

Given the fact that their engineers keep admitting, they probably don't understand it fully and hence need to continue trial and error method until they get there.

wogx

We've got the first crack between our teammates
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

wogx wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:13
https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... AYOmwn.jpg

I think Lewis was probably more annoyed about the SC timing than anything so would be aggi from then on

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

chrisc90

Mchamilton wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:15
wogx wrote:

I think Lewis was probably more annoyed about the SC timing than anything so would be aggi from then on
I was about 1/4 race after the safety cars. George gained massively on lap 19 by pitting under the SC.

siskue2005

Mchamilton wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:15
wogx wrote:

It's understandable that's frustrating, he could have been 2nd if the team had waited for 1 more lap to pit him

Neuron
Neuron

It's obvious what Hamilton was trying to say. He just need to understand there is no Bottas anymore. Keep calm.

chrisc90

George drove a better race anyhow I think. Granted he got lucky under the SC and gained a couple positions, the car ended up where its performance sits it at the minute. Look how much the merc held Perez up in the opening 3-5 laps before he got past and pulled 3 seconds before tyre deg set in.
Lewis just being himself and blaming anyone but himself.

f1jcw
f1jcw

wogx wrote:

#-o

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 10:03
George drove a better race anyhow I think. Granted he got lucky under the SC and gained a couple positions, the car ended up where its performance sits it at the minute. Look how much the merc held Perez up in the opening 3-5 laps before he got past and pulled 3 seconds before tyre deg set in.
How did george drive a better race exactly? He was behind the whole time untill the SC helped him out. Lewis was managing tyres befote the sc, hence why he pulled the gap on george to over 2 seconds when he decided to. Then after the SC again lewis manages tyre while George fights perez for no real reason. The lewis closes to 1 second behind george untill he apparently has engine temp issue, though i think secretly the team told him to hold position, hence his comment.

silver
silver

Neuron wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 09:39
It's obvious what Hamilton was trying to say. He just need to understand there is no Bottas anymore. Keep calm.
With an average car and a strong teammate, things can go southwards if luck also looks the other way. Hamilton has this bad habit of throwing words at his team after difficult circumstances, like he did last year in Monaco, which is not a good thing to do publicly.

NicoS

Mchamilton wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 10:14
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 10:03
How did george drive a better race exactly? He was behind the whole time untill the SC helped him out. Lewis was managing tyres befote the sc, hence why he pulled the gap on george to over 2 seconds when he decided to. Then after the SC again lewis manages tyre while George fights perez for no real reason. The lewis closes to 1 second behind george untill he apparently has engine temp issue, though i think secretly the team told him to hold position, hence his comment.
If I was called Mchamilton I would also observe it in that way. many Mchamilton's would.