2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
jamsbong
jamsbong

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

WhiteBlue wrote:The turbo engines will be completely fuel restricted not air restricted as the engines used to be in the past.
Thanks for the info. That's quite interesting, does that mean the standard ECU will limit the maximum amount of fuel in realtime? If so, then of course, the max power will be curbed. That means engineers will find ways to make more power efficiently. Very large intercooler and possibly clever ways to control the in-cyclinder flow with direct injection to maximise the efficiency.

I suppose in the end, Aero will still play the most important role in F1. The team with the best Aero and a good enough engine will have very good chance of winning. However, it is facinating to see the new engines, I really look forward to it. 1.6litre is very small, imagine if this is put into your FWD hot hatch... It will be a real 700+hp pocket rocket!

agip

WhiteBlue wrote:That would be a big surprise. People have to understand that we will be seeing a fundamental change. The turbo engines will be completely fuel restricted not air restricted as the engines used to be in the past. It is the departure from one principle and the turn to another new one. This is why the turbo engines need no air restrictors, no boost limit and technically no rev limit. All the FiA has to do if efficiency improvements produce too much power is taking away more fuel. It is an elegant system.
+1. I think the new formula will be fascinating.

hpras
hpras

I may have missed the reasoning, but why do they have to have a fuel flow limit? Why not just a fuel capacity limit, here's 180L, burn it how you like to get to the end of the race. If you run out, too bad, so sad. A lap at max 1000hp would have to be offset with a lap at 500hp (numbers are for illustrative purposes only as they are coming out my arse). It would add another dimension to the strategy, and a much more natural one than "you get an aero advantage and you don't" (DRS).

agip

hpras wrote:I may have missed the reasoning, but why do they have to have a fuel flow limit? Why not just a fuel capacity limit, here's 180L, burn it how you like to get to the end of the race. If you run out, too bad, so sad. A lap at max 1000hp would have to be offset with a lap at 500hp (numbers are for illustrative purposes only as they are coming out my arse). It would add another dimension to the strategy, and a much more natural one than "you get an aero advantage and you don't" (DRS).
Sorry for my short explanation but I read somewhere that it has to do with avoiding practices like burning all the exceeding fuel you could have from miscalculations-

strad

I swear, The world really is spinning out of control when race fans give a hoot about fuel consumption or whether big manufacturers get to build the cars..I really wouldn't care if all the manufacturers pulled out...bring back privateers.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

strad wrote:I swear, The world really is spinning out of control when race fans give a hoot about fuel consumption or whether big manufacturers get to build the cars..I really wouldn't care if all the manufacturers pulled out...bring back privateers.
The rules are not made by the fans. They are set by the teams, the FiA and to a small degree by Bernie and the manufacturers to suit all their interests. Live with it!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

Anyone know how many gears they'll have with the V6 formula?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bill shoe
bill shoe

WhiteBlue wrote:
bill shoe wrote:I haven't seen clear public information about the type of fuel flow restriction.
There will be a maximum fuel flow limit either in g/s or in cc/s which will be reinforced with a total fuel load cap of 65% of the 175kg of fuel the current engines uses. The flow limit will be designed so that cars will not run out of fuel. The FiA is keen to avoid the criticism that comes with such unpopular race deciders. I would be surprised if the fuel cap comes out at over 146L or 114kg per race. A maximum fuel flow limit that has been mentioned in the past (by Scarbs) is 100kg/h or 27.8g/s. I would be surprised if we come out substantially different from those figures.
Thanks for the info. You give a fuel flow with an absolute (constant) limit. If this is accurate then the conventional part of the powertrain will roughly be a constant-power device. This would imply little or no shifting.

However, I'm skeptical F1 would let this happen because it's not traditional. I predict that one of two things will happen--

1. The 27.8 g/s figure will actually vary relative to the 15,000 rpm redline (7,500 rpm will be allowed 13.9 g/s). This prevents constant-power engines.
2. The net power output of the energy-recovery portion of the powertrain will be limited in a way that prevents it from being constant-power, and therefore the overall powertrain will not be a constant power device.

Either situation would be an artificial way to necessitate traditional transmissions and shifting.

I think I'm actually more out in left field than autogyro on this one. I don't want a better/smaller/more-efficient transmission. I want no need for a multi-gear transmission in the first place. A direct drive is the cheapest/lightest/most-efficient transmission you can get. Can I patent that?

I probably agree with WhiteBlue in the sense that I think fuel or airflow limitation is the fundamental and natural way to limit engine power rather than traditional displacement and rpm limits.

autogyro
autogyro

OK Bill.
The only way you will get your 'no shift' powertrain is by using an electric motor. Even then there is a 'sweet' spot for a 'new generation' gearbox.

But great, F1 will become electric, so you are getting on the right lines.
It is not if only when.

You should help by adding more to the torque/horsepower thread.
Its a bit of the beam at the moment but I think they will get there in the end.

strad

WhiteBlue wrote:
strad wrote:I swear, The world really is spinning out of control when race fans give a hoot about fuel consumption or whether big manufacturers get to build the cars..I really wouldn't care if all the manufacturers pulled out...bring back privateers.
The rules are not made by the fans. They are set by the teams, the FiA and to a small degree by Bernie and the manufacturers to suit all their interests. Live with it!
Your post doesn't bear on what I said at all. We would be well done with these guys...I'd go back to the days of the championship car being built in a barn...you do recall that...don't you?
Here...click this link to see where they built the championship Tyrrell
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/Tyrrell_woodshed.wmv
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

bill shoe wrote:Thanks for the info. You give a fuel flow with an absolute (constant) limit. If this is accurate then the conventional part of the powertrain will roughly be a constant-power device. This would imply little or no shifting.

However, I'm skeptical F1 would let this happen because it's not traditional. I predict that one of two things will happen--

1. The 27.8 g/s figure will actually vary relative to the 15,000 rpm redline (7,500 rpm will be allowed 13.9 g/s).
I'm not sure that the engines will actually rev to 15,000 rpm and I don't believe that they will have a variable fuel flow limit.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

strad wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
Your post doesn't bear on what I said at all. We would be well done with these guys...I'd go back to the days of the championship car being built in a barn...you do recall that...don't you?
Here...click this link to see where they built the championship Tyrrell
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/Tyrrell_woodshed.wmv
Strad, my observation is that F1 fans have all kind of opinions, not only petrol head views. It is nice for you to have all these lovely memories from old times but that doesn't make your opinion any more valid or important than the next man's who just turned legal drinking age. One can be a big fan of motor racing and still support an environmentally friendly rules policy. In fact there are many reasonable but passionate people out there who support that race cars use the best and efficient engine technologies that are available. We will not reconcile the difference of opinion. So it is better to tolerate and respect that some of us have different values. You may keep yours and I will keep mine.

agip

Press Release
Power Unit Regulations Q&A
30/06/2011

1. The World Motor Sport Council voted on 29 June 2011. What did it decide?

Following consultation with the various Formula One stakeholders and the current Formula One engine manufacturers, the WMSC has ratified the adoption of a V6 turbo engine to be used in Formula One from 2014 onwards. This required changes to the regulations initially adopted by the World Council on 3 June 2011. The full regulations applicable to the 2014 season will be published in due course.

2. Will a V6 use more fuel, or have inferior economy compared with the original proposal?

No. To push the engineers to develop engine efficiency, the technical regulation imposes a fuel flow control. When evolving the regulation to fit with the manufacturers’ new request this parameter has not been changed. Thus the efficiency requirement will be unchanged.

3. Why has the rev limit been increased from 12,000rpm to 15,000rpm. Is this purely to enhance the sound of a Formula One car?

No. This parameter has been updated from 12000rpm to 15000 rpm to allow engineers more flexibility in power and energy management. However, as a consequence of the new architecture (V6) and the change in rev-limit, the engine will sound different, but will remain representative of Formula One.

4. Will the increase in rpm alter fuel consumption?

Absolutely not. As mentioned above, the fuel flow limit will stay the same. The technologies are the same and as a consequence any increase in rpm will constrain the engineers to work harder on reducing friction and gaining on engine efficiency. The challenge will be even bigger than originally planned and will therefore enhance the technological lead of Formula One.

5. Has the FIA retained the energy recover devices originally intended to be used in conjunction with the I4 engine?

Yes, the concept initially presented is respected. All of the technology intended for the I4 is still present. This new power plant will be a dramatic step forward in both fuel efficiency and in energy management.

6. Will those manufacturers already engaged in the development of a four-cylinder engine face increased costs now they need to redirect their resources toward designing a V6?

To our knowledge, five manufacturers were working on the proposed 4-cylinder engine. They will all need to adapt their project and this will surely involve some additional costs, depending on how advanced each project was. This evolution has been proposed and supported by all four engine manufacturers currently involved in Formula One.

7. Why is the introduction of the new generation of engines now being delayed by year?

The decision to delay the introduction until 2014 comes at the request of the four engine manufacturers currently involved in Formula One. Their request for extra time is linked to the change in architecture but also to ensure their projects are more robust (one of the goals of the project is to enhance engine durability to c.4000km)

8. Will these energy recovery systems and other efficiency devices ultimately influence the development of road cars?

Yes. The clear need for the automotive industry to reduce emissions means energy management will increasingly become a key factor in the development of more efficient powertrains. Kinetic energy recovery is already applied in Formula One and the introduction of exhaust energy recovery will add another technology route to be explored. Formula One will also return to its role as a developer of turbo-charger technology. This research will have real-world benefits, contributing valuable knowledge that will be of use to future road car development.

Combustion engine specifications:

1600cc, V6
15000 rpm max
Direct fuel injection up to 500bar
Single turbocharger
Controlled fuel flow

Energy recovery and storage systems specifications:

Kinetic, 120kW on the rear wheels
Exhaust energy recovery linked to the turbocharger
Source.

PlatinumZealot

FIVE manufacturers eh?

Who is the fifth? Toyota? VW/Audi? BMW? Nissan? Hyundai?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

rjsa
rjsa

n smikle wrote:FIVE manufacturers eh?

Who is the fifth? Toyota? VW/Audi? BMW? Nissan? Hyundai?
That would be PURE, Craig Bullocks company.