Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nacho
nacho

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

The nosecone looks different, the wing attachment is Toyota-like with the wing moving quite a bit more forward and the Renault-style fin looks bigger. Seems the wheelbase increase is quite significant, done by moving the front suspension forward

djones
djones

I agree - it looks like that design was the plan all along.

dren

The front wing is new.
Honda!

toshinden
toshinden

ahh, my dearest nose still there (thanks for the reg). I'm not a technical person like many of you here. But i feel that the most bigger part of the updates is not visible. If like they said that they have weight distribution problem, so the update should be inside the bodywork right?
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

ggajic
ggajic

timbo wrote: I doubt that -- intake is placed in dirtier zone. Anyway, it seems that modern V8 does not breathe that much air. Air intakes are rather smallish on most cars.
Key element to understand what has been gained/lost is vertical shark fin. By splitting and moving engine intake backwards on sides of fin I`m convinced that velocity of air is increased. It would be interesting if someone can run CFD to compare results with previous and current solution.. And yes, I think that nose cone looks narrower..

thestig84
thestig84

Tim.Wright wrote:An interesting thing to consider is the roll hoop is part of the homologated chassis, so that roll structure must have been like that all year. You can actually see it there in the pictures of the earlier design.

So it looks like this has been on the drawing board the whole time. In fact, I would call this update an 'engine cover' update since the chassis must be unchanged

Tim
That been well known since launch date. See page 4 back in feb 10
DaveKillens wrote:
I also believe this design lends itself to rapid evolution in this area. I doubt Mercedes will have to re-test this structure whenever they decide to change the intake, because it's no longer a part of the rollover structure. When Monza arrives will we see not only special front and rear wings, but also a "Monza scoop"?

ggajic
ggajic

toshinden wrote:ahh, my dearest nose still there (thanks for the reg). I'm not a technical person like many of you here. But i feel that the most bigger part of the updates is not visible. If like they said that they have weight distribution problem, so the update should be inside the bodywork right?
True but longer wheelbase is supposed to cure this problem, together with stronger front grip. Aerodynamic changes are usually most visible changes..

siskue2005

But whats up with the rear wing???
Its so basic (apart from the wing staller)

Look at the lower element , they dont have a slit opening there ....look at Mclaren they have one on the lower and the upper one is used for stalling

Geez even the back end teams have it, almost all teams expect Brawn had it in 2009

Why do you think they dont have a complex rear wing as other ?

dren

siskue2005 wrote:Image

Look at the lower element , they dont have a slit opening there ....look at Mclaren they have one on the lower and the upper one is used for stalling

Geez even the back end teams have it, almost all teams expect Brawn had it in 2009

Maybe they don't need it.
Honda!

madly
madly

I don't see small winglet at the rear of the car (as in R30 or C29). Did they remove it?

Blackout

The splitter and its floor are also new...

siskue2005

dren wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:Image

Maybe they don't need it.
a slit with smaller allowed opening in the front and a larger wider opening behind the element, converts a single element to 2 element wing and in effect converting a allowed 2 element rear wing to 4 elements!

SO thats a huge gain in downforce

I dont think anyone would lose such an advantage

thats certainly not what that device is doing. From what I understand, it is a passive version of McLaren's F-duct. also, increasing rear wing downforce is generally only done to balance increase in front wing downforce, which is why rear wing design stays pretty boring and stationary year-on-year.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Im thinking a little outside the box here with this cars design. Could this lead to something like what Jenson Button tested in Nevada i think where the rear wing was replaced with a fin. If the car was producing enough downforce with the DDD, could the fin be brought back from the one that was on the Honda that Jenson used that day.

This could be one of those eureka moments, where we look back on in 20 years time as a design changer, posibly. But it could be put up there with the potential design failures.

We will see what it does in FP1 in under 12 hours time.

thestig84
thestig84

Bit far out the box. The nevada BAR did not need to corner! The rear wing provides way to much vital downforce to be lost out of choice.

DDD are being banned next year so they will never produce nearly enough to loose the rear wing.