2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DGP123
DGP123

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

What an unsurprising s***show. Car is atrocious, and as the comms said, they’re becoming an irrelevant team in the grand scheme of things nowadays in F1. As LH states, the season is pretty much done. Toto should step aside, but he won’t.

As I’ve said before, Russell’s agent should be looking at 26’ options. This team is heading for the abyss. No top tier driver heads there, that’s why Antonelli will be signed. It’s a complete rebuild in order.

Stu

“Curious what the stewards find”…
A strange comment as regards a technical issue!?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Il Leone
Il Leone

DGP123 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 10:28
What an unsurprising s***show. Car is atrocious, and as the comms said, they’re becoming an irrelevant team in the grand scheme of things nowadays in F1. As LH states, the season is pretty much done. Toto should step aside, but he won’t.

As I’ve said before, Russell’s agent should be looking at 26’ options. This team is heading for the abyss. No top tier driver heads there, that’s why Antonelli will be signed. It’s a complete rebuild in order.
Yes it is looking gloomy but it can all change with the next regulation change, the only logical team to aim for for any driver would be Mercedes, nobody in their right mind would want to take on Max at RB.

RonMexico
RonMexico

Mosin123 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 05:07
RonMexico wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 20:40
Mosin123 wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 20:38

Vettel is still considered one of the top 10 drivers in f1 history. MSC is still considered one too, even though he got easily beaten by Rosberg. History doesnt get deleted because some one ages.
Depends who they are beaten by
Like?

I mean, LH is losing techincally to GR ( After 3 races?? I though we was in for a 24 race season, didnt know the championship is over alrdy...), but lets be honest, LH is driving a Ferrari next year, I dont think he cares, he HAS to do one more season in a team that still hasnt worked it out, he is a 7 time world champion ( 8 ).

Was LH to old last season? or was he just that much better than GR he finished best of the rest while GR finsihed behind not 1, not 2, but 3 different constructor teams ( Not counting RB ) ..........
Il Leone wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 20:38

Vettel is still considered one of the top 10 drivers in f1 history. MSC is still considered one too, even though he got easily beaten by Rosberg. History doesnt get deleted because some one ages.
It doesn't get deleted but it certainly gets questioned, even Schumacher's legacy was harmed after getting defeated by Rosberg.
No, i dont think it does.I cant picture to many saying it does.

Its not like he got beat by Ricciardo.
Russell is an average driver. I don't see him winning or challenging for a WDC anytime soon.

DGP123
DGP123

RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:15
Russell is an average driver. I don't see him winning or challenging for a WDC anytime soon.
Spot on. Saturday one lap pace is good, but Sunday’s are his weakness, in terms of outright race pace, and clumsy incidents. Bahrain lock up & todays crash, are examples of how he hasn’t eradicated them from his driving.

Hamilton has Ferrari to look forward to, but Russell has a serious problem going forward. He’s 26, with one win in F1. He can’t have any confidence in Mercedes being a force in 26’ either, given the state of the team, and the brain drain that’s occurred. Bit of a crossroads.

Cs98
Cs98

RonMexico wrote:
Mosin123 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 05:07
RonMexico wrote:

Depends who they are beaten by
Like?

I mean, LH is losing techincally to GR ( After 3 races?? I though we was in for a 24 race season, didnt know the championship is over alrdy...), but lets be honest, LH is driving a Ferrari next year, I dont think he cares, he HAS to do one more season in a team that still hasnt worked it out, he is a 7 time world champion ( 8 ).

Was LH to old last season? or was he just that much better than GR he finished best of the rest while GR finsihed behind not 1, not 2, but 3 different constructor teams ( Not counting RB ) ..........
Il Leone wrote:

It doesn't get deleted but it certainly gets questioned, even Schumacher's legacy was harmed after getting defeated by Rosberg.
No, i dont think it does.I cant picture to many saying it does.

Its not like he got beat by Ricciardo.
The problem with ragging on Russell (nevermind that this particular incident was intentionally caused by Alonso) and calling him average is that he keeps matching or beating Hamilton on the regular. By calling him average (when he is clearly not) you are devaluing Hamilton.

Il Leone
Il Leone

DGP123 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:27
RonMexico wrote:
Spot on. Saturday one lap pace is good, but Sunday’s are his weakness, in terms of outright race pace, and clumsy incidents. Bahrain lock up & todays crash, are examples of how he hasn’t eradicated them from his driving.

Hamilton has Ferrari to look forward to, but Russell has a serious problem going forward. He’s 26, with one win in F1. He can’t have any confidence in Mercedes being a force in 26’ either, given the state of the team, and the brain drain that’s occurred. Bit of a crossroads.
He has been faster than Hamilton or just as fast in many races, take for instance Bahrain, he was less than a tenth slower on average in race pace and yet had more PU cooling issues. It's hilarious because the more you --- on Russell the worse it looks for Hamilton. Lol

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

-

DGP123
DGP123

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:40
DGP123 wrote:
RonMexico wrote:

Okay, thanks. Best Regarda Lando Norris with no wins.
Yes, again, another driver who has unfortunately arrived in F1 during two dominant era’s. He’s only 24, but careers that may have promised come and go pretty quickly, amounting to very little.
Last edited by DGP123 on 24 Mar 2024, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

When does Russell's Mercedes contract expire? A quick Google suggests it is at the end of 2025.

If Mercedes doesn't improve, I think Russell could be a target for Aston Martin, Audi or a number of other excellent works teams. Possibly even Red Bull, although I think Red Bull will sign Sainz for 2025 and Sainz will probably do quite well and not warrant replacement. :)

Or... Will Russell stick around to roll the dice on Mercedes HPP delivering a monster 2026 power unit? Although McLaren will also have use of that and Mercedes GP would need to beat McLaren.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 24 Mar 2024, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Great job by Toto for getting Alonso a drivethrough after the race. I'd rather he focused on being ahead on track thanks to a faster car, but that works too I guess.
Last edited by KimiRai on 24 Mar 2024, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Il Leone
Il Leone

JordanMugen wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:52
When does Russell's Mercedes contract expire? A quick Google suggests it is at the end of 2025.

If Mercedes doesn't improve, I think Russell could be a target for Aston Martin, Audi or a number of other excellent works teams. Possibly even Red Bull, although I think Red Bull will sign Sainz for 2025 and Sainz will probably do quite well and not warrant replacement. :)

Or... Will Russell stick around to roll the dice on Mercedes HPP delivering a monster 2026 power unit? Although McLaren will also have use of that and Mercedes GP would need to beat McLaren.
He has no real options, the smart money would be to stay with Mercedes and hope they design a title contender for the next set of regs.

Il Leone
Il Leone

KimiRai wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:53
Great job by Toto for getting Alonso a drivethrough after the race. I'd rather he focused on being ahead on track thanks to a faster car, but that works too I guess.
The penalty is very harsh IMO, it's not like Russell had to swerve and crash to avoid a collision. What next, are they going to punish drivers for hesitating with the throttle when under attack on a corner exit?

KimiRai
KimiRai

Il Leone wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:58
KimiRai wrote:
The penalty is very harsh IMO, it's not like Russell had to swerve and crash to avoid a collision. What next, are they going to punish drivers for hesitating with the throttle when under attack on a corner exit?
Well its two points for merc, Alo demoted to p8. One point ahead of Aston in WCC rather than one below. Teams are ruthless so well played.

Il Leone
Il Leone

KimiRai wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 12:02
Il Leone wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 11:58
KimiRai wrote:
Well its two points for merc, Alo demoted to p8. One point ahead of Aston in WCC rather than one below. Teams are ruthless so well played.

Shame on the stewards for dishing out a penalty, it was all fair enough IMO.