COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kimetic
kimetic

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Big Tea wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 23:18
I did not fancy him as PM, but TBH I do not see anyone better at the moment. He has taken a 'Churchilian' position which while not my pet is better than any of the other leaders could put forward.

Edit. After posting this i realise where the thread may go so will sneak away without responding to replies.
Lol, but not politics it's highly relevant to whether we get races this year. Concern for Boris the human being of course, but can you imagine if the British Prime Minister should die of Covid-19? The reaction will be extreme, there'll be every conceivable restriction for many, many months until a vaccine has been tested and produced in bulk. It will be the definite end of F1 2020.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Big Tea wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:25
PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:10
LM10 wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 21:31
Boris Johnson put in the ICU.
He happens to be a weak cow in the herd I guess.

Hope he pulls through.

'apparently' he has recovered form Covid19 but now has a viral lung infection.
All other news sources I've read says he was admitted due to his Covid-19 symptoms. Do you have a source that it's a different infection? If so, that is interesting indeed.

I do hope he recovers, just as I would anyone who gets this disease. I do agree with kimetic too, if he falls from it then the reaction will be extreme. It may have effects on how other nations treat this disease as well.

strad

Big plus one Kim and Tea =D>
edit E30 as well.
Very valid comments
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

JonoNic

The Chinese government has been taking and sampling blood from Africans living in China, by forcing them to be tested. They believe there's a link between the TB shot that Africans received as children and the low death count from infections in Africa. I just think there hasn't been enough testing in Africa. Unfortunately I do not have a link to these events, only the words of those being forced to test.
Always find the gap then use it.

etusch

JonoNic wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 05:44
The Chinese government has been taking and sampling blood from Africans living in China, by forcing them to be tested. They believe there's a link between the TB shot that Africans received as children and the low death count from infections in Africa. I just think there hasn't been enough testing in Africa. Unfortunately I do not have a link to these events, only the words of those being forced to test.
If africa didn't tested and everything normal there ( if it is not, so why china go that way ?are they fool ?) that means testing is not right way

nzjrs

JonoNic wrote:
Like any good rumor, there is a micro kernel of plausibility.

You (actually the rumor mongers) got a couple of wires crossed here. One of the treatments investigated for Corona was the TB vaccine which is believed to strengthen the immune system for a short period after application. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03 ... oronavirus

nzjrs

etusch wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 08:27
JonoNic wrote:
If africa didn't tested and everything normal there ( if it is not, so why china go that way ?are they fool ?) that means testing is not right way
I don't understand.

Are you saying as a treatment plan for a global pandemic "if a tree falls in the forest" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_a_tr ... n_a_forest

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JonoNic wrote:
Which is strange because childhood TB vaccination isn't limited to Africa. Indeed, in the UK we used to have TB vaccination for all schoolchildren using the BCG vaccine - I remember having the shot myself as a child. Routine use was stopped in 2005 as it was considered to be no longer required.

As many of the people in the UK dying from COVID-19 would have had the TB vaccine as children, it would suggest that TB vaccination isn't the magic bullet keeping African deaths low. Indeed, many countries around the world have had mandatory TB vaccination programmes.

Having said that, there might be a link if the vaccine has somehow reduced the symptoms for many people - lots of people in the UK appear to be having minor COVID-19 symptoms or perhaps are even asymptomatic. The latter, of course, is what makes it so important to lockdown for a period.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

e30ernest wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 01:44
Big Tea wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 22:10

He happens to be a weak cow in the herd I guess.

Hope he pulls through.

All other news sources I've read says he was admitted due to his Covid-19 symptoms. Do you have a source that it's a different infection? If so, that is interesting indeed.

I do hope he recovers, just as I would anyone who gets this disease. I do agree with kimetic too, if he falls from it then the reaction will be extreme. It may have effects on how other nations treat this disease as well.
It was an interview on either BBC or sky and his 'friend and college' whos name I do not remember pos Raab.
That may or may not have had political spin, usually does.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 12:58
e30ernest wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

It was an interview on either BBC or sky and his 'friend and college' whos name I do not remember pos Raab.
It appears that was spin. The story now is that his COVID19 symptoms didn't improve so they hospitalised him.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 13:08
Big Tea wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

It appears that was spin. The story now is that his COVID19 symptoms didn't improve so they hospitalised him.
Apologies for the mis information. Should have known better than to trust a politician :mrgreen:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 13:10
Just_a_fan wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Apologies for the mis information. Should have known better than to trust a politician :mrgreen:
S'ok. No doubt the story will change again at some point. :lol:

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 13:14
Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 13:10
Just_a_fan wrote:

S'ok. No doubt the story will change again at some point. :lol:
Sorry to keep posting links to this site, but I find it very useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJpIqF6QEDw

update on his condition in case some do not want to watch it, but also some 'structure of government' stuff too

AMG.Tzan

I think Canada can go ahead and become the first race of the season! That is if teams can attend the GP of course! But after Canada i don't see France, UK and Austria going ahead...Hungary maybe!

Things in Canada seem to be under control right now...only 1000-1500 new cases every day! That's way better than Europe and USA where things have got totally out of control and i just pray that this is not just Canada being a bit behind in the coronavirus outbreak...even Italy seems to be slowing down...from 6000 new cases every day, they now are down to 4000-4500 and even 3800 yesterday! :)

Here in Greece things seem to be going really nicely compared to the other EU countries...since the day of the outbreak we haven't had over 100 new cases in a day...yesterday even we only had 20 new! That's encouraging...quarantine seems to have worked here and the government reacted really quickly i have to say! I think that if things continue as they are right now we can end this by 15th May as i read yesterday in a newspaper! =D>

As for the rest of the world...i think this will end by June-July depending on the country! But the big question is what happens when we get back to normal life and back to October-November...will it spread again?? Hopefully medicines will be out by then...and vaccines by 2021! :?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

nzjrs

It's funny, I could see China lobbying hard to be the first race (if more are cancelled) or be back on the calendar this year. It would of course be a geopolitical power play and confidence game, but isn't everything these days.