COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

=D> =D> =D>

The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Good to see the design made available to all. I hope people don't use it to try to make profit from the situation.

Impressive to see that Mercedes HPP have changed the entire factory over to making these devices. 40 machines that would normally be making engine parts are being used to make components for the breathing aid.

An excellent effort by all concerned. Pats on the back all round (obviously virtual ones as we're not allowed to get close enough to touch...).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

I don't know that countries who believe themselves clear of Covid19 would want an influx of thousands of Europeans all in close contact with them and each other.
I think it would depend more on the situation in Europe than in the prospective country. Unless they require a 2 week isolation of all personnel before departure and a few days isolated at the track before allowing mixing
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 14:56
I don't know that countries who believe themselves clear of Covid19 would want an influx of thousands of Europeans all in close contact with them and each other.
I think it would depend more on the situation in Europe than in the prospective country. Unless they require a 2 week isolation of all personnel before departure and a few days isolated at the track before allowing mixing
If it's a normal race they could Isolate the westerners from the local supporters.

They could also just run it spectator free, isolate the F1 circus from the local population. By China's logic the F1 personnel returning to their home countries would not need to isolate because China 'is Covid19 free'.

I think every which way it plays out would be perfect theater for China.

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 14:56
I don't think any country can be clear can it? We're all just trying to manage the curve at this point

This is why there's no basis i can see for any normal F1 this year, it's just wishful thinking. If you put a crowd together it'll just take one infection to be a superspreader and kick it all off again, unless we've all had it or been vaccinated

aral
aral

i agree. Nobody, NOBODY has the slightest inkling of when the virus will be contained or eliminated, and it is rather pointless people saying that the first race will be X, or no, it will be Y etc. All the crystal balls in the world cannot foretell what will become of F1 this year. For myself, i think that the only sensible action is to cancel the championship for this year....it isnt going to happen. Constant postponing wont persuade the virus to disappear.

Phil

AMG.Tzan wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 13:29
Here in Greece things seem to be going really nicely compared to the other EU countries...since the day of the outbreak we haven't had over 100 new cases in a day...yesterday even we only had 20 new! That's encouraging...quarantine seems to have worked here and the government reacted really quickly i have to say!
I'm not entirely sure where you are pulling your numbers, but according to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/greece/, your country has done 26000 tests. Across a time span of ~40 days (since the first positive case), that equals around 650 tests per day. Not a big feat to only have that many positive cases then. You can only count what you test after all. How available are tests in Greece anyway to people wanting to test? Here; Only people with severe symptoms are tested - still.

Same applies somewhat to Canada. This is far from over.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

izzy
izzy

aral wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 15:37
i agree. Nobody, NOBODY has the slightest inkling of when the virus will be contained or eliminated, and it is rather pointless people saying that the first race will be X, or no, it will be Y etc. All the crystal balls in the world cannot foretell what will become of F1 this year. For myself, i think that the only sensible action is to cancel the championship for this year....it isnt going to happen. Constant postponing wont persuade the virus to disappear.
Yes tho i think once you accept this, you can look at other ways of doing F1 racing, without the travelling and crowds. They have to do some fresh thinking about it

Mansell89
Mansell89

Phil wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 15:52
AMG.Tzan wrote:
Here in Greece things seem to be going really nicely compared to the other EU countries...since the day of the outbreak we haven't had over 100 new cases in a day...yesterday even we only had 20 new! That's encouraging...quarantine seems to have worked here and the government reacted really quickly i have to say!
I'm not entirely sure where you are pulling your numbers, but according to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/greece/, your country has done 26000 tests. Across a time span of ~40 days (since the first positive case), that equals around 650 tests per day. Not a big feat to only have that many positive cases then. You can only count what you test after all. How available are tests in Greece anyway to people wanting to test? Here; Only people with severe symptoms are tested - still.

Are Canada’s testing volumes really low Phil?

I did see their figures the other day and they sounded far better than many other countries and their neighbours in the US- I wondered why that might be.

daren_p
daren_p

Mansell89 wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 18:49
Phil wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 15:52
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Are Canada’s testing volumes really low Phil?

I did see their figures the other day and they sounded far better than many other countries and their neighbours in the US- I wondered why that might be.
As of yesterday it was reported Canada has tested 334,000 people, population a bit under 38m.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

AMG.Tzan

Just as i was saying it could be the first race of the season! :lol: :lol:

Ooooh Lord...if the Canadian GP is postponed then there will be no GPs all summer long for sure! I don't see how if we can't race in a country that is in a much better situation than Europe, we can race in Europe itself! So maybe Singapore is a good bet now!

Though i still believe that racing in Australia, Bahrain, Vietnam and China (seems the pandemic is almost done there) in the summer would be possible since the situation in all these countries is already way better than EU and by summer i think they will be even better!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

strad

The U.S. has tested 1,749,000 as of yesterday and going up.
I think the only real comparison would be per capita anyway.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

strad wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 20:51
The U.S. has tested 1,749,000 as of yesterday and going up.
I think the only real comparison would be per capita anyway.
That figure sounds very high. Last weekend the figure was far lower. I suppose there are many ways of counting 'tested' though.

Very very good if true and I wish we could follow suit, we seem to be struggling for test kits

Edit. Sorry for doubting you you are correct. See table

That is a hell of an achievement in a week

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-testing
Last edited by Big Tea on 07 Apr 2020, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

notsofast
notsofast

I read somewhere that F1 is considering two races at Silverstone, one regular and one reversed. At first I thought they meant that the starting order for the second race would in reverse order of qualifying or something similar. But it seems they meant that the second race would be going in the reverse direction. How feasible is that? Are the runoff areas suitable for such a race?