Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jambuka
jambuka

Re: Ferrari SF23

Why didn't they use high viz paint or aero rakes during filming day ? Is it not permitted ?
Also seems like the upgrades to SF-23 seem a confluence of AMR and RB, but not Mercedes!.
Last edited by jambuka on 27 Jun 2023, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 18:08
It looks to me that front higher wishbone (front axle) is connected a bit higher.
Edit: Undercut looks deeper also to me.
It was confirmed that all (if any) notable suspension changes were internal (dampers, springs, ARB, rod lengths, rockers, etc). Undercut does look deeper, but its a slightly different angle and that whole area has exactly 0 parallel surfaces, so any angle change means a change in observed undercut depth :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 21:49
FDD wrote:
It looks to me that front higher wishbone (front axle) is connected a bit higher.
It was confirmed that all (if any) notable suspension changes were internal (dampers, springs, ARB, rod lengths, rockers, etc). Undercut does look deeper, but its a slightly different angle and that whole area has exactly 0 parallel surfaces, so any angle change means a change in observed undercut depth :)
In the car with the new floor, "CEVA logistic" sticker is placed higher, this might mean a new bodywork has been built (maybe with a little different shapes) and stickers applied in a different position:

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

I was originally dismissive, however, it does look as if there’s a change. I can’t imagine they have changed the pods too so just must be the angle/ light or shadow.

gordonthegun

Vinlarr89 wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 22:26
I was originally dismissive, however, it does look as if there’s a change. I can’t imagine they have changed the pods too so just must be the angle/ light or shadow.
They used a new bodywork with the new floor. Very unlikely they are the same.

vorticism

Sevach wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 16:41
Canada:

𓄀

Sevach
Sevach

gordonthegun wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 22:17
Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 21:49
FDD wrote:
In the car with the new floor, "CEVA logistic" sticker is placed higher, this might mean a new bodywork has been built (maybe with a little different shapes) and stickers applied in a different position:

https://formu1a.uno/wp-content/uploads/ ... -fondo.jpg
Could be, reshaping this panel probably didn't require the extensive changes that a sidepod redesign normally brings.
The sponsors at the bottom were all pushed back which make the undercut hard to judge, however i spot a faint shadow line under the Shell logo in the new image, could be that the "new body" dips further to the inside there.

f1316
f1316

I feel like the top element of the wing is longer before dropping down a bit more dramatically. That seems to me like there’s overall a bit more downforce-producing surface area - or at least that’s how it looks to me from this angle.

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
27 Jun 2023, 22:17

https://formu1a.uno/wp-content/uploads/ ... -fondo.jpg
To be honest, I was reluctant to consider this a possibility, so I invented a plausible explanation :mrgreen: But you are right, looking at the comparison on big screen and maximum zoom - the undercut is 20-30mm deeper now. Even the seam-line of the "old" undercut is visible, so the floor is still reworked and not a full newly made part. All the surfaces in front of, above and behind the undercut look the same, so they could have made a modular tool for sidepods from the start. Or just reworked the tools of barcelona-spec sides...

Considering barcelona-spec was supposed to be imola-spec and all of these new parts should have come over the following few races (but were pushed eariler) it's not really a surprise to see a change in the undercut. Barcelona-spec sides should have been used for 5-6 races I guess, but circumstances cut this to only 2... In any case, a very strong and commendable push from Ferrari, hopefully they are happy with new parts and we see them all on both cars on Friday.

#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Tried to figure out the new undercut shape, but without a decent overhead shot it's all pure guesswork. However, it looks like there is a double curvature in the new undercut, shown in yellow and green on bottom photo. Barcelona-spec sides had a singe curvature of course. Some front wing changes are highlighted in orange, as long as there's a full-car comparison available.

It's interesting to note how crazy steep the top surface of the floor inlet is. There might be some decent pressure recovery there, for small gains of both downforce and drag reduction. If there was a SIS tube there, such a clean geometry wouldn't be possible - as seen on McLaren and Mercedes.

#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Two points from these hi-res photos:

- the biggest increase in the undercut comes under the SIS bulge, which can be seen on 3rd photo
- there may be some changes to the top surfaces of the sidepods right above the radiators (so above Shell and CEVA logos), but the first photo is the only one which has any potential angle on it and it may be very deceiving

Photos from: https://formu1a.uno/ferrari-sf-23-i-nuo ... -utilizzo/

#BlessYouLaddie

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 10:19
It's interesting to note how crazy steep the top surface of the floor inlet is. There might be some decent pressure recovery there, for small gains of both downforce and drag reduction.
Steep angle of the floor top probably benefitting from pressure/flow field around the SIS bulge. At least that would be one unintended benefit of not having the SIS down low, even though it still looks out of place and would probably not be there if they had the possibility to move it.

Good to see the effort expended for more undercut—even if to gain a few mm’s—and get some early learning towards the 2024 car.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Very surprised and very happy with the level of upgrades Ferrari are bringing.

Okay I’m not getting carried away, the upgrades aren’t earth shattering in terms of innovations, however it’s more impressive to see Ferrari following a path of continuous improvement and bringing small frequent incremental changes, which I feel they will learn more from in preparation for 2024 car.

zioture
zioture

gordonthegun

I think the most important change to the FW is the enplate and the way the flaps attach to it.
I hope you draw this too.