McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Probably a mix of all of the above suggestions. The rod can measure compression and tension. We can also see turnbuckles where the rod length is adjusted. That could give an element of preloading if they find the wing is too floppy.

I wonder if there is a spring in that dome to replicate different wing stiffness? That would match scarb's report.

marekk
marekk

horse wrote:
marcush. wrote:hydraulic struts:
How much force would you be able to exert on the wing with such a flimsy rod before it buckles? 20N?
the one thing you could do was to produce the wing very very weak and put the rods under tension hydraulically to reduce the amount of bending ...to see what is the max you need to have.
They must have some compliance, also. Just as one side of the RB cables went slack when cornering this system must allow the wing to pivot, by letting the tubes on one side compress. Would it be worth measuring the level of compression?
I think they'll measure both compression and tension, and, what's even more important, not just forces - they'll have precise data about wing's movement in 3D around the track. A complete map.
If allowed by the rules, this can be used on every friday's FP to get a map of particular track - very usable for their numerical models.

horse

marekk wrote: they'll have precise data about wing's movement in 3D around the track. A complete map.
If allowed by the rules, this can be used on every friday's FP to get a map of particular track - very usable for their numerical models.
Good thinking! Yes, I think that makes a lot of sense. It will provide nice validation data for their materials models which can then be used for time dependant CFD showing the impact of bringing on the flex.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

shelly
shelly

I suggest mods to put comments on front wing test struts in a separate thread.

I wanted to put three questions:

-are mclaren's and rebull's the same system, or just symilar (rbr has wires, mcl has tele struts)?
-are they for measuring tension or diplacement (difficult to measure negative displacement with a wire... but one could be interested just in positive displacement)?
-is it possible to gain some internet information about these measuring devices?
usually these devices are not completely built by a team on its own, there are suppliers that sell similar devices for other industrial purposes and maybe those suppliers have an internet site
twitter: @armchair_aero

volarchico
volarchico

Blackout wrote:+ beautiful front endplates
+ intersting winglets obove the sidepods

http://www.f1today.nl/foto.php?file=11908
Is there a slit near the trailing edge of the 3rd element on their new wing?

And also, why do they have such beefy (thick, large) vertical supports (the black ones). Since the front wing is no longer allowed to move, it seems those are close enough to the endplates that you wouldn't need them for actual structural support?

ell66
ell66

aside from the endplates has the front wing changed at all?

Onch

volarchico wrote:
Blackout wrote:+ beautiful front endplates
And also, why do they have such beefy (thick, large) vertical supports (the black ones). Since the front wing is no longer allowed to move, it seems those are close enough to the endplates that you wouldn't need them for actual structural support?
Maybe they still run 'active' front wings in testing so that they can scan FW settings without having to go back to the pits?

Nice pic with the blue flames zgred! 8)

volarchico
volarchico

So I think this time, we're pretty safe to say we've found the exhausts. Well, zgred has. :)

Giblet
Giblet

I've removed a slew of messages. We in testing now, so I figured the idiocy would stop but it got worse.

Pleae guys no bickering in the car threads. I can't beleive I need to say this, but hating a team so much you need to come to a car thread and bash them for painting testing parts in team livery, you know, like every single team does, more than three times, will get you a little more than a warning.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

I already apologized to zgred. For some reason my browser was not displaying his images, and I saw a blank message. I even moved my cursor and highlighted the message to see if it was anything but blank, so I deleted what I thought was a posting in error.

I have asked him to repost them.

Sorry. When tasked when cleaning up 3 pages of thread, you go into hyper mode :oops:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

zgred

No problem, Giblet.

Francesc
Francesc

New exhausts again?! They seem to be blowing to these fins under the rear wing endplate.

forty-two

Wow, that looks like a really "basic" exhaust layout. Could this hold some magical secrets, or are McLaren simply putting everyone off for the time being, only to reveal some mysterious layout in Melbourne?

Could the "vented" RW endplates actually be something to do with the eventual exhaust layout and they're just getting a baseline from more conventional exhaust placing?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Richard
Richard

I'd expect they've settled on one exhaust configuration by now. Does that mean the the floor slots are in the bin?

myurr
myurr

I reckon that's one exhaust package and they'll try another before the week is out.

Seems to be blowing down the channels around the outside of the diffuser. If they keep that exhaust layout then maybe we'll see an updated diffuser opening up the outer sections.