Michael...when braking

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
[EDF]Fx
[EDF]Fx

Without speaking of a specific corner its common knowledge that you can use the throttle and the brakes at the same time in different ways to stabilize the car,depending on the situation, it enables you to shift weight to where its most needed.
/ Fx

Scuderia_Russ

Throtle / braking overlap is widely used as a karting tecnique.

pyry
pyry

first of all they use the engine breaking as means of inducing stopping power and balance in braking and if you have your engine at 18krpm you need to reduce the rpms, not increase them in downshifting. someone might argue that the engine is so tight it drops rpm faster than the gearbox switches gear, but the gear change in a whole has been reported by ferrari to happen in 0.002 secs.
four rings to rule them all

Sodder
Sodder

f1.redbaron wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... la&pl=true

(sorry, that is the best video example that I have)

----------------

Also, I don't think that it is a faulty telemetry as you can clearly hear the engine revving (unless I'm hearing things)...
Is that oil coming out of Fisi's car shortly after they cross the start finish line, and right before Kimi's pass?
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

Sodder, I hink it is the friction pads bottoming out as the car reaches max speed (=max downforce), so it's a blast of kevlar exiting the diffuser.

As for the thread discussion - my 2c is that this technique is precisely similar to the old fashioned heel/toe technique (although as the cars are only 2 pedals they don't need to do that anymore (anyway the steering column would get in the way!).

However, in my opinion the throttle blip is used by the best drivers to ensure that the rear wheels do not lock under heavy braking. It's interesting, we are told many times that a skidding wheel has less friction than a turning one, but somehow it always seems a bit counter-intuitive, but you can test it easily with a model car - block the back wheels somehow to stop them turning (put some blu-tack on the back wheels, but make sure it's only the tyres touching the ground) and roll it down a slope - it will change ends... that's why they blip the throttle in my view, to keep the back wheels turning, so even if they lock the fromts they will not swap ends.

Just my opinion...
Mike

vyselegend

Maybe MS and DC are just using differnet traction control set up than their team mates, it could explain the difference.

vyselegend

I think pyry is just making reference to the fact you need to slow down engine speed before downshifting to avoid over reving, cause obviously if you shift gear down at 18krpm without braking you blow up your engine and/or you gearbox.

wazojugs

i think its is just a technique calle double de-clutching
i.e matching the revs with the selected lower gear, its easy to do and makes the ride smoother , i do it all the time

sliderule
sliderule

wazojugs wrote:i think its is just a technique calle double de-clutching
i.e matching the revs with the selected lower gear, its easy to do and makes the ride smoother , i do it all the time
you cant double de clutch on an f1 car

wazojugs

sliderule wrote:
wazojugs wrote:i think its is just a technique calle double de-clutching
you cant double de clutch on an f1 car
ok its the semi auotmatic gearbox doing the trick

[EDF]Fx
[EDF]Fx

I believe the gearbox is only part of it. I think the enginebrake,gearbox,tractioncontrol,differential all play a part. But I really dont think that what the onboard computer does with the throttle will show up on the public screen it really makes no sense, so its most likely driver input from DC and MS in my opinion.

/ Fx

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

wazojugs
i do it all the time
and you drive for who....??? mclaren....???

wazojugs
ok its the semi auotmatic gearbox doing the trick
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sknguy-
Sknguy-

I haven't really seen this explanation but wouldn't the throttle blips be intended to keep the engine as near a tollerable inertia as possible. Throttle off at high speeds creates a lot of negative torque. Shift into that negative torque (at whatever particular speed to cause torque to exceed grip), couple it with a braking force on the tyre, and your rear locks up.

Ballasted a car so heavily to the front, as is apparent in the Ferrari photo above, would compound the wheel lock possiblity. Depending on the traction control settings for a particular track, a particular driving style, or that one might simply want to orveride it for whatever reason, traction control can't be expected to deal with every instance all the time.

I would suggest that it simply a technique to keep the engine's torque at a managable level, in whichever direction.

johny

we're talking to synchronise gears, how can you make such thing with this kind of gearboxes? if that all drivers' telemetry should tell that.

touching the gas during downshifts it's called hell-toe and that could be the reason here but my thoughts are that it's simply some ECU efect. There're lots of drivers who come from karting and sure they master those techniques so why just shumy and david

wazojugs

Hudsonhawk. wrote:wazojugs
i do it all the time
and you drive for who....??? mclaren....???

no in my own car, i have been taught to drive properly