2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 13:01
basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 11:29
FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 04:56
Main straight drs is useless, they should have had the third drs right after the second one on the new section.

I also never understood the 7, 8 and 9 section, any reason why they do not go little further from 7 to around the park?
Too small...the section behind turn 7 looks small, but actually this is a broad 2 lane road. When you walk on the track it seems huge, on the other hand the section behind the park is very small, would need a lot of rework. They also need the space for the safety zone after turn 7 which extends far and is a safety exit and need to limit the speed into turn 10 where there is no space.
Furthermore there is a mall behind the park, so if they would extend they would not have space behind the memorial for a grandstand.
I have been on this grandstand in the year Vettel had his last win....I think this was 2019. I think the area and track is just great in this location as you can go very close to the track. Between turn 8 and 9 you can take pictures directly at the fence, the cars are 5m away from you.

I think the change is great for this year. I never understood the marina section and I think it broke the flow on the circuit. It was always just a reason for safety cars....I do not remember a nice move there into the grandstand.
But...although I do not like the float...I wonder how they deal with loosing so much grandstand...tickets should be strongly limited.
Road if front of the mall is a 4 lane carriagway, which is 15m wide.
Around the memorial park would give much better viewing of turn 7 from the park grand stand.

The fast right left that would be at where turn 9 is located could be made slower to accommodate the lack of runoff at 10.

Anyway chicane are no improvements to 90 degree corners, only improvement would be for the longest straight (not very long) to be longer by 150m, making overtaking more promising.
Dunno if a longer straight would help overtaking. They anyways tweak a "virtual" length for overtaking with the DRS zone length. If you would need more overtaking there, they could just increase the DRS legth, the start of it is still some 100m away from the point the cars are straight and could use it. Or just DRS out of turn 3...

For the space:
Today they go into the wide Nicoll Highway. And that is narrow when coming out of 300kph side by side. I do not think it makes sense to discuss Beach Road behind the park for this....Nicoll Highway is wide open and they use 3 lanes only for the outside runoff with the sausage curbs.

For the grandstand:
You know that the park is not symmetrical? They use the wide area in front of the memorial towards the current track and this is already quite narrow. There is barely space and the lines are somehow crowded/strange when everyone goes to the grandstand. No way they could fit this size of grandstand anywhere else in the park.
Don`t russel the hamster!

FW17

basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 14:20
FW17 wrote:
basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 11:29

Too small...the section behind turn 7 looks small, but actually this is a broad 2 lane road. When you walk on the track it seems huge, on the other hand the section behind the park is very small, would need a lot of rework. They also need the space for the safety zone after turn 7 which extends far and is a safety exit and need to limit the speed into turn 10 where there is no space.
Furthermore there is a mall behind the park, so if they would extend they would not have space behind the memorial for a grandstand.
I have been on this grandstand in the year Vettel had his last win....I think this was 2019. I think the area and track is just great in this location as you can go very close to the track. Between turn 8 and 9 you can take pictures directly at the fence, the cars are 5m away from you.

I think the change is great for this year. I never understood the marina section and I think it broke the flow on the circuit. It was always just a reason for safety cars....I do not remember a nice move there into the grandstand.
But...although I do not like the float...I wonder how they deal with loosing so much grandstand...tickets should be strongly limited.
Around the memorial park would give much better viewing of turn 7 from the park grand stand.

The fast right left that would be at where turn 9 is located could be made slower to accommodate the lack of runoff at 10.

Anyway chicane are no improvements to 90 degree corners, only improvement would be for the longest straight (not very long) to be longer by 150m, making overtaking more promising.
Dunno if a longer straight would help overtaking. They anyways tweak a "virtual" length for overtaking with the DRS zone length. If you would need more overtaking there, they could just increase the DRS legth, the start of it is still some 100m away from the point the cars are straight and could use it. Or just DRS out of turn 3...

For the space:
Today they go into the wide Nicoll Highway. And that is narrow when coming out of 300kph side by side. I do not think it makes sense to discuss Beach Road behind the park for this....Nicoll Highway is wide open and they use 3 lanes only for the outside runoff with the sausage curbs.

For the grandstand:
You know that the park is not symmetrical? They use the wide area in front of the memorial towards the current track and this is already quite narrow. There is barely space and the lines are somehow crowded/strange when everyone goes to the grandstand. No way they could fit this size of grandstand anywhere else in the park.
DRS is already from the exit of turn 5, they cannot have it any longer

One overtaking spot on the circuit and this is the view you get

15 m is not wide enough for a corner and track?

basti313
basti313

FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 15:18
basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 14:20
FW17 wrote:

For the space:

For the grandstand:
DRS is already from the exit of turn 5, they cannot have it any longer

One overtaking spot on the circuit and this is the view you get
https://static.tickets-platform.com/img ... ex_0-1.jpg

15 m is not wide enough for a corner and track?
Well, it is and will be a street circuit. If you want to see action you go to the fence. If you fight through the photographers in Turn 7, you will have the best view of the whole F1 season for 100$ (on Friday) :D

You are taking the worst example for Stamford :wink:
Go a bit more to the left on the grandstand and you see way more. Furthermore there is the big screen right of this picture where you see the overtake developing and see the actual braking from the grandstand.
If this needs to be improved, they would need to do sort of grandstand bridge across the runoff in T7. That would be awesome.

And again, DRS starts 100-200m after the point where they have full throttle. Just look at the onboards and you will see that the DRS sign can be moved closer to the turn. But I do not think this is an issue to be honest...we did not see that overtaking was possible with the 2019 Ferrari rocket ships. In any other race overtaking was possible but not easy, exactly as we want to have it. With solving the tire overheating at the Marina complex, there should be plenty of overtaking this year.
And no...15m is not enough. The exit of turn 7 was dangerous when it was closer to the wall. With the now wider exit with the sausage curbs we see much better racing there.

vorticism

basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 16:50

Well, it is and will be a street circuit. If you want to see action you go to the fence. If you fight through the photographers in Turn 7, you will have the best view of the whole F1 season for 100$ (on Friday) :D
How is Singapore to visit?
𓄀

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

vorticism wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 17:01
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ped%29.jpg
basti313 wrote:

Extremely safe, very friendly and a lot of architecture straight out of a science fiction film.

It has a reputation of being boring and expensive, but that mostly comes from people being stuck on Raffles avenue. You can spend a lot of money on very little in those parts, but you can also eat a very safe meal at a food court for like 3 USD.

piast9
piast9

BTW, what about Float Marina Bay grandstand? Was it rebuilt/moved so it faces the new track?

basti313
basti313

vorticism wrote:
basti313 wrote:

Great. In my point of view simply the best race to attend:
- Easy to reach. You fly to Spore and take the subway...there is plenty of flights at a "normal" price even around the race weekend. Much better to reach than any European race and most in the calendar. I flew in on Wednesday and returned on Tuesday evening as I had work to do around the F1 weekend, but Monday return would have been same price.
- Hotel prices are barely affected by the F1 weekend. Completely different to Monaco or Baku. You do not need to take a hotel near the track as you can take the subway from anywhere. I was in Orchard, so I could even return to the hotel between practice and Q to get a shower and a new shirt. Except for Monaco and Baku I guess this is not possible anywhere else...
- A lot to explore, I think you can easily fill three days plus the F1 weekend. As mentioned, food is amazing from cheap and fascinating Chinese food courts up to high level dining...
- You can travel within the city without issues with public transport. Friday and Saturday I would pack a second shirt, but Sunday is super nice in the evening at the track.
- Best shows in the whole F1 calendar, even beating Austin. You get a lot for your money.
- Ticket prices are ok if you take a combination ticket. They offer different grandstands for different days. Like this you can use Friday for main grandstand (interesting for start practice) and still get a decent pricing. You anyways need nearly two FP sessions to watch at the fence...
piast9 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 17:33
BTW, what about Float Marina Bay grandstand? Was it rebuilt/moved so it faces the new track?
No, they have a small grandstand on the corner towards the last corner. But the seats are very limited, only some really expensive tickets left.

organic

With the TD039 modifications and TD018 introduction, this race and Suzuka will be extremely interesting to me

ringo

Could someone post the new vs old layout?
For Sure!!

scuderiabrandon

ringo wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 00:00

organic

ringo wrote:

langedweil

UlleGulle wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 17:24
vorticism wrote:
basti313 wrote:

Extremely safe, very friendly and a lot of architecture straight out of a science fiction film.

It has a reputation of being boring and expensive, but that mostly comes from people being stuck on Raffles avenue. You can spend a lot of money on very little in those parts, but you can also eat a very safe meal at a food court for like 3 USD.
The silliest thing I ever noticed in Singapore was when I indeed was bored during a 2 day layover and decided to go to the zoo ..
Astonishingly they had 5 polar bears !!!
Shave ahort to almost the skin, but still hot ofcourse; they were only in the water. Polar bears on the equator, my oh my ..
Orher than that, it surely has it's proper food and areas whenever you get out of downtown. Like you say, it's very safe so thou shallt not worry.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

organic wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 00:39
ringo wrote:
Nicely done !
Thnx ..
HuggaWugga !

ringo

Ok then! So more advantage to redbull.
Max to win here. That's my prediction.
Ferrari second quickest followed by Aston.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 04:02
Ok then! So more advantage to redbull.
The straight is not really adding anything for RB because there's no DRS on it.