Seeing the invisible

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
flynfrog

Re: Seeing the invisible

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... y9cqvBtuYM[/youtube]

blast from the past thread but cool video that fits well

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

That's pretty bad ass.

Definitely a throwback thread though. I remember July 4th weekend 2007. Not long after graduating, hadn't moved yet, was a good time. And for the first time in years I had washed my hands to a point they weren't grimey with tripod grease and other such fun stuff.

Oh but to answer your original question from 5 years ago - it works by magic. No question in my mind.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

flynfrog

Jersey Tom wrote:That's pretty bad ass.

Definitely a throwback thread though. I remember July 4th weekend 2007. Not long after graduating, hadn't moved yet, was a good time. And for the first time in years I had washed my hands to a point they weren't grimey with tripod grease and other such fun stuff.

Oh but to answer your original question from 5 years ago - it works by magic. No question in my mind.
I believe it was 2007 FSAE where we met IRL I think you were hoping the track dried as you didn't have wheels to mount you wet weather tires.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Yep. Not enough money for a spare set of wheels. How sad! Such is life when you start the season with thousands of dollars of team debt.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

riff_raff
riff_raff

There are much better ways to image aero effects than Schlieren techniques. Particle LDV gives a very nice measurement of 3D flows and velocities. Modern digital CFD tools are also quite good in the hands of a competent analyst.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"