2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gaz.
Gaz.

Re: 2014 too slow? (or not, as the case may be)

Artur Craft wrote:
beelsebob wrote: For example, a 2013 car has much tighter restrictions on it's downforce generating surfaces than a 1990 car, but sure as hell generates more downforce.
I HIGHLY doubt that, highly!

and have seen some aero figures from cars of 94, 98, 2001 and they are a far cry from the 94 ones. From 2005 onwards, they took several measures to keep reducing downforce even further.

Just for an idea, the 98 car had just about 75% of the downforce of the 94 one, and the 2001 wasn't much better than the 98 either.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 2013 cars had less downforce than even the 98 ones, nevermind the 2014. Slick very soft tyres, DRS and KERS masked these lastest generation cars' laptimes a lot.

Put the 2013 Red Bull and the 1998 Mclaren with the same engine, no DRS, no KERS, same tyres, same weight and any other relevant factor being equal, I would bet on the 98 car
It's hard to compare lap times across different eras due to track changes, surfaces, tyres & weather but I guess a good indicator is the Brazilian GP fastest laps:

1994: Schumacher, Benneton, 1:18.455 lap 7, sunny.
1998: Hakkinen, Mclaren, 1:19.337 lap 65, fine
2013: Webber, RBR, 1:15.436 lap 51, cloudy

Don't all three cars have roughly 750bhp? The time must come from somewhere? :)
Forza Jules

Juzh

Artur Craft wrote: Put the 2013 Red Bull and the 1998 Mclaren with the same engine, no DRS, no KERS, same tyres, same weight and any other relevant factor being equal, I would bet on the 98 car
And you'd loose. RB9 with a V10 would humiliate a 98 car. With a 50 kg less (642 vs 595kg) even more so. Or better yet, RB6 even with no DRS or KERS would kill it for good.
Gaz. wrote: 1994: Schumacher, Benneton, 1:18.455 lap 7, sunny.

2010: hamilton, mclaren: 1:13.851.

turbof1

I doubt that. Much of the performance deficit is masked behind the grooved tyres.

I think many people don't make the difference between more downforce and more advanced downforce. The way the RB9 creates downforce is of course much more complex and technology behind it a lot more advanced, but in 1998 they had more means for "mass-downforce creation": bigger diffusers, bigger bargeboards, bigger rear wings, lower front wings. All in all they also were much more efficient.
#AeroFrodo

iotar__

Artur Craft wrote:
beelsebob wrote: For example, a 2013 car has much tighter restrictions on it's downforce generating surfaces than a 1990 car, but sure as hell generates more downforce.
I HIGHLY doubt that, highly!

and have seen some aero figures from cars of 94, 98, 2001 and they are a far cry from the 94 ones. From 2005 onwards, they took several measures to keep reducing downforce even further.

Just for an idea, the 98 car had just about 75% of the downforce of the 94 one, and the 2001 wasn't much better than the 98 either.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 2013 cars had less downforce than even the 98 ones, nevermind the 2014. Slick very soft tyres, DRS and KERS masked these lastest generation cars' laptimes a lot.

Put the 2013 Red Bull and the 1998 Mclaren with the same engine, no DRS, no KERS, same tyres, same weight and any other relevant factor being equal, I would bet on the 98 car
You'd lose. P. Symonds in Amus interview said that current era cars (-2013) downforce levels exceed the ones from 2008 and Marussia has more downforce than 2003 Renault and would be winning championships back then (he saw some numbers too ;-) ). Sentiment to "good old times" is one thing - technical development reality - something different.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... 36558.html

turbof1

Yes, but you have to put massive restrictions against the technical development. I don't agree with him that 2003 cars had less downforce; I do agree with him 2008 cars had the most downforce (I think you readed that wrong, iotar).
#AeroFrodo

beelsebob
beelsebob

Of note, my original comparison was not with a 2003 car, or a 2008 car, it was was with a 1990 car. The idea that a modern car can set very similar lap times to a 1990 car with significantly less power and skinnier tyres, but at the same time not have more downforce is frankly moronic. It's clear simply from the fact that lap times are basically the same, but straight line speeds are lower that the car must be faster in the corners, and therefore must be generating more downforce.

As far as 2003 goes, I'd bet on a 2013 car having more downforce than a 2003 one, but it would probably be pretty damn close. The reason I'd bet on this is simple – in 2003 radilon and blanchimont were corners that would regularly chuck drivers into the barriers because they did not have sufficient downforce to make the corner. That is not true any more, despite speeds being roughly the same. I suspect in 2014 that we'll be back to 2003 style lifting through there.

el-Magico
el-Magico

Don't forget the braking as well.. probably the braking system of current cares are much better which result in braking later
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

FoxHound

beelsebob wrote:The reason I'd bet on this is simple – in 2003 radilon and blanchimont were corners that would regularly chuck drivers into the barriers because they did not have sufficient downforce to make the corner. That is not true any more, despite speeds being roughly the same. I suspect in 2014 that we'll be back to 2003 style lifting through there.
I agree with what you are saying in general, but then you must also factor in the torque levels of the various engines.
The turbo's exceed the V8 which could get around 300Nm torque. Officially there are no realiable torque figures for the V6 units other than some speculative hearsay. But the figures being bandied about suggest in the region of 400-450Nm conservatively.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/01/a ... e-in-2014/

And it appears the drivers are taken aback by the raw power of the units too. Which suggest although there is a loss of downforce, the car is pushing more raw power through the contact patch which inherently means a less stable rear and lifting through hairy corners. Also the ERS power delivery will be near instantaneous which will provide further moments where the Ambition gets ahead of Adhesion...
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27334.html
Last edited by FoxHound on 25 Feb 2014, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
JET set

simieski
simieski

beelsebob wrote:...and therefore must be generating more downforce....
What is the difference in grip between the different tyres used? Does newer suspension allow for more mechanical grip?
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Blackout

turbof1 wrote:Yes, but you have to put massive restrictions against the technical development. I don't agree with him that 2003 cars had less downforce; I do agree with him 2008 cars had the most downforce (I think you readed that wrong, iotar).
He did say the Marussia has far more downforce than the 2003 Renault and that 2013 cars have far more downforce than the best 2008 cars :)

turbof1

Blackout wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Yes, but you have to put massive restrictions against the technical development. I don't agree with him that 2003 cars had less downforce; I do agree with him 2008 cars had the most downforce (I think you readed that wrong, iotar).
He did say the Marussia has far more downforce than the 2003 Renault and that 2013 cars have far more downforce than the best 2008 cars :)
I quote from the translated piece:
The top cars of today are in terms of pressure far from the best 2008-specification vehicles.
Unless it got translated poorly, he says in terms of downforce -pressure- the best 2013 cars are a long shot away from the best 2008 ones.
#AeroFrodo

RicME85

Kamui would prefer to take a GP2 car to Melbourne if the Caterham doesnt improve at the next test :D
Kamui Kobayashi believes that a GP2 car would be quicker than his Caterham F1 machine in its current state after two pre-season tests.

The Japanese racer ended the first Bahrain F1 test with a best lap of 1m39.8s, which is four tenths of a second slower than last year's GP2 pole at the same circuit for 2013 champion Fabio Leimer.

While most Renault-powered teams are focusing on making their cars reliable at the moment, Kobayashi is keen to help Caterham find some more speed at next week's final pre-season test.

"We are not in race conditions here, but if we were in race conditions I think I should bring a GP2 car," Kobayashi told reporters in Bahrain.

"The lap time is still quicker in GP2. We need to work, but in this moment if we were to race, I think it's not Formula 1.

"When you look at the lap time, I need to be worried. I cannot be happy, but I have to think about what we can do.

"Time is very limited, and we need to think about reliability, but also performance. We have to try as much as we can."The ex-Toyota and Sauber man added that he is not particularly interested in having to rely purely on reliability for Caterham to land more competitive results than it has experienced so far in F1.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if a slow car that was reliable could enable the team to score its first points, Kobayashi said: "I am not looking for that.

"I'm looking more for the potential for us to catch up. This is the most important part of why I am here.

"I'm not just thinking about finishing the race, of course I also need performance.

"This year is the biggest chance for this team.

"There is a lot of chance and possibility, but at the moment we are a little bit off the pace compared with the other teams on the development side."

Blackout

turbof1 wrote:
Blackout wrote:
I quote from the translated piece:
The top cars of today are in terms of pressure far from the best 2008-specification vehicles.
Unless it got translated poorly, he says in terms of downforce -pressure- the best 2013 cars are a long shot away from the best 2008 ones.

Yes the translation is funny... I understand German. He says ''top cars of today are, in relation to downforce, far ahead of the best 2008 cars.''
Aber ich kenne die Unterschiede an Abtriebswerten. I know the differences between the downforce levels. Unser Marussia hat deutlich mehr Abtrieb als der 2003er Renault, Our Maussia gas definitely more downforce than the 2003 Renault. obwohl sich seitdem die Regeln zu Ungunsten der Aerodynamik geändert haben. Despite the fact the rules changed to the disadvantage of aerodynamics. Die Spitzenautos von heute liegen in Bezug auf Anpressdruck weit vor den besten 2008er-Fahrzeugen. The top cars of today are, in relation to downforce, far ahead of the best 2008 cars.
Last edited by Blackout on 25 Feb 2014, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

Yeah now that I readed the german text too it seems correct what you said. My apologies!
#AeroFrodo

Artur Craft

Gaz. wrote: It's hard to compare lap times across different eras due to track changes, surfaces, tyres & weather but I guess a good indicator is the Brazilian GP fastest laps:

1994: Schumacher, Benneton, 1:18.455 lap 7, sunny.

I completely agree with your points but the example is not the best possible, imho. Still I' gonna extend on that and sorry for going slightly OT, everyone.

In 94 and 98, the cars had 600kg while in 2013 it was 642kg and this accounts around 1,4s(1) in advantage for the lighter ones. And this is very accurate calculation, the error wouldn't be more than a one and a half tenth

In 94 cars had around 730HP, in 98 800HP and in 2013 around 750HP with engine alone plus the KERS's 80HP extra(used two times in a qualifying lap during over 13s). So this would make 2013 and 98 cars roughly equal on power and with an advantage of around 2s(2) over the 94 car. Again a quite precise calculation as each 10HP accounts for around 0,3s of advantage, on an average circuit(I read this info from one of F1 engine manufactures PR couple of years ago). In Interlagos it will be even more but I'll stick with this figure.

In 94 they had very old compound slick tyres that were quite hard. The same for the 98 ones(I mean old compound relative to now) but with the addition of grooves. Still, compared to the 97 slick tyre, it still gave more grip, according to Bridgestone. In 2013 we had Pirelli's(ok very far from Michelin/Bridgestone or even Goodyear technology) very soft slick tyres that might be, with a conservative guess, 3 to 4 s (3) faster than the tyres used in the 90s.

Also, the lastest cars had the benefit of DRS which can account to around 1,5s (4)(when it was allowed everywhere and on qualifying used twice) on a track like Interlagos.

It rained in 2013 Brazil Q, so I have to get the pole from 2012 of 1.12.5(DRS everywhere). While the pole in 94 was 1.15.9 and in 98 it was 1.17.1

You can see that the times from 94 and 98 pretty much agrees with the aero figures I have as the 98 car had 50HP extra HP and some 0,5s advantage in more advanced tyres(compound-wise) despite the grooves. Overall, neglecting minor track changes, tarmac conditions, temperatures and etc(btw, all those things account for a big margin but I don't have means to compare it) there is around some 3s separating the 94 and the 98 cars(1,2s from 94 to 98 pole + [0,3s/10HP]*5 + 0,5s tyre improvement.) There was also the fact of 94 cars having 2m of track against the 1,8m of the others, btw.

If you reduce 2012 pole to a 600kg car, you get, by (1) 1.11.1.

Then, accounting the 2012 car power advantage over the 94 one, through (2), you get from 1.11.1 to 1.13.1.

Accounting now the tyre improvements and using a extremely conservative guess of (3), you get from 1.13.1 to 1.17.1

Finally, the DRS factor(4) takes it to 1.18.6

This calculations, based on info I collected for over a decade, shows how 90's cars had an advantage over the newer ones. Figures (1), (2) and (4) are fairly precise. The (3) one probably is even much bigger than that as I have some data of the evolution of tyre forces over these years but I don't know precisely how much it accounts for. I based that altering grip figures on a lapsim.

And this all makes perfect sense as 94 car had a very big diffuser(no need to say anything), very low ride height(which account A LOT for downforce) and more surface area on FW.

In 98, the cars were already raised(higher ride height due to plank as is the case now), had lower RW(thus slight less downforce), their diffuser was a bit smaller than the 94 ones and they had less surface area on FW.

In 2012-2013(or any recent year), cars kept the high ride height of the 1995 cars, have a narrow, although high, RW and very small diffuser. The FW downforce was back to around the values of the 94 ones as the wing was equally low, had/have slightly less surface area but with steeper angles. The thing is that they don't have even nearly as much rear downforce as the 94, or even the 98 ones due to the amount of restrictions.