2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MercedesAMGSpy

Re: 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring

Rosberg wins - championship over.

RicerDude

New chassis, engine and tranny for Hamilton which means he will start from the pitlane.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207127/1/h ... mpaign=rss

basti313
basti313

Gaz. wrote:
gray41 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115156 (paid site after so many views)

Magnussen to start from pit lane.

If Hamilton was to start from pit lane also, how would they decide who is head of the queue?

Mag due to him getting to Q3?
I am guessing, but I'd have thought Mag would be at the front because of Q3, then Ham due to championship position then maldonado. The question is, would you start from the pit lane or from 20th, you lose 10 seconds from the pitlane and one car to pass, or start 20th and risk a DNF/nose damage/puncture from a T1 incident?
Just theoretical order? I do not think Maldonado will start from the pitlane.
Toto said before the German GP, that a start from the pitlane would cost at least 18sec with the starting power of the Merc. But they have to now, as there is too much to repair for a "parc ferme repair". I wonder why they talk about the gearbox when it comes to having to start from the pitlane...this would be no problem regarding parc ferme, only a +5 penalty.
MercedesAMGSpy wrote:Rosberg wins - championship over.
Why? Any doubts that even a mediocre race will lead Hamilton near the podium?
The championship will be decided at the last race. Whoever DNFs there looses it. Everything else is just warm-up.
Don`t russel the hamster!

iotar__

http://en.espnf1.com/hungary/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS Lauda about LH: "He would have been fastest today and would have won the race tomorrow, no question. Now it doesn't look like it."

Is Lauda trying to outbid Marko in ridiculous statements? It's something I wouldn't even expect to read here but since he's an expert former F1 driver he must be right, I guess. I understand he was trying to sell Hamilton as untouchable speed-wise and when it didn't happen he felt disappointed and he might have had a part in hiring him but this is just silly. Is he Hamilton's private fan club member and not Merc co-owner with responsibilities of non-executive chairman? Rosberg should be relieved Lauda can't execute anything.

Spacepace

iotar__ wrote:http://en.espnf1.com/hungary/motorsport ... MP=OTC-RSS Lauda about LH: "He would have been fastest today and would have won the race tomorrow, no question. Now it doesn't look like it."

Is Lauda trying to outbid Marko in ridiculous statements? It's something I wouldn't even expect to read here but since he's an expert former F1 driver he must be right, I guess. I understand he was trying to sell Hamilton as untouchable speed-wise and when it didn't happen he felt disappointed and he might have had a part in hiring him but this is just silly. Is he Hamilton's private fan club member and not Merc co-owner with responsibilities of non-executive chairman? Rosberg should be relieved Lauda can't execute anything.
He executed three world titles, one after coming back from retirement.

Juzh

basti313 wrote:
This ain't hockenheim and there won't be 350 clicks of top speed to carry him past RBs and ferraris. His charge ends there. Or behind one of the williams cars who even have a straight line advantage over him. Podium is out reach here. If he manages 5th that'd be good enough.

strad

sAx wrote:
turbof1 wrote:In light of recent history and complaints from members, race threads policy will be strickened. We've had too many conspiracy theories, too much "hamilton set his own car on fire"-alike stuff and other types of idiocities. When trying to make statement, base yourself on constructive elements and argumentate in concrete terms.

Some posts before this message will simply be removed without further consequences. However, unfounded claims that are just an attack on a person/driver/team/etc. will be answered with a warning from now on.
+1 =D> What was very attractive about this forum was it's technical insight.....what has become increasingly unattractive (tiresome) is the juvenile tabloid-esque comments of some.
Could not agree more.
It's gotten so I seldom visit this section of the site to avoid the what politely might be called fanboyism and I could use much stronger language.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

atanatizante

RicerDude wrote:New chassis, engine and tranny for Hamilton which means he will start from the pitlane.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207127/1/h ... mpaign=rss
That`s the wisest thing to do : change everything!
Coz after a carnage like that you couldn`t afford to do any risks, bearing in mind you have an uphill battle like in Hockenheim ...
It`s also better to start from the pit lane so you could do setup change had it rains but also to avoid first lap incidents we have often seen here ...
Then he could start on primes and just after 1 lap could swap to the options, like Vettel did in Abu Dhabi in 2012, I think ...
Or (better) maybe we`ll have a SC period after the first lap and then the he will go to change for options with no time penalty ...
Had it rains I think they will setup for max.DF and try to pass outside of turn 2 and then if it fails he could be sooner on throttle on the inside of turn 3 and finally get the job done in turn 4, like he did with Webber last year, if I`m not wrong ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
basti313 wrote:
This ain't hockenheim and there won't be 350 clicks of top speed to carry him past RBs and ferraris. His charge ends there. Or behind one of the williams cars who even have a straight line advantage over him. Podium is out reach here. If he manages 5th that'd be good enough.
Well, 5th would be "near podium"...10 points would keep him alive.
Why I think he has chances on the podium: With his car being 2sec faster than half of the field, one second the rest he has two overtaking opportunities on this track. With a intelligent tire strategy he will avoid most traffic like in Germany.
There is one big opportunity, that may also destroy his race...depends on the race...a Trulli-train behind a one stopper (looking to FI). Depends on how he can avoid getting stuck in this train with his strategy.
Don`t russel the hamster!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Lewis may have a glimmer of hope yet:

He'll at least be able to change setup.

I expect him to be set up with a wet setup if it's already raining, or with a mid wet/dry setup if it's dry at the start. I expect him to try to one stop, in the hope that his one stop is to change onto wets.
Last edited by beelsebob on 26 Jul 2014, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepace

Lewis has had to make it from the back of the grid and race his car harder for the last four Grand Prix. Isn't that a lot of wear and tear on the car and subsequently going to lead to more parts failing in the future?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Spacepace wrote:Lewis has had to make it from the back of the grid and race his car harder for the last four Grand Prix. Isn't that a lot of wear and tear on the car and subsequently going to lead to more parts failing in the future?
Yup, driving an extra 800m over 4 races is really a lot more. #-o

zeph
zeph

dans79 wrote:O please iotar, every one knows your point of view.......

If I had my way you would be banned, as you are mothing more than an instigator!
Phil wrote:It's funny. I'm abroad, so no chance to watch QF and as i opened autosport.com 10 minutes ago, i half expected to see a hamilton incident of some sort on the frontpage....

I'm simply stunned... This is getting ridiculous. At this rate, i'm actually happy we will have double points at the last race, though at this rate, it will hardly matter.

Part of me feels we are being robbed, either by pure ramdomness or deliberately of what should be an epic battle. At the moment, i dont even want to watch the race (eventhough watching hamilton fight to the front will be epic).

:(
My sentiments exactly.
Last edited by zeph on 26 Jul 2014, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Juzh

basti313 wrote: There is one big opportunity, that may also destroy his race...depends on the race...a Trulli-train behind a one stopper (looking to FI). Depends on how he can avoid getting stuck in this train with his strategy.
There won't be any 1 stoppers, that much is certain. If anyone manages 2 stop I'd be impressed.

Spacepace

beelsebob wrote:
Spacepace wrote:Lewis has had to make it from the back of the grid and race his car harder for the last four Grand Prix. Isn't that a lot of wear and tear on the car and subsequently going to lead to more parts failing in the future?
Yup, driving an extra 800m over 4 races is really a lot more. #-o
I'm referring to having to use higher engine modes to pass while Rosberg has been able to use a lower engine modes and cruise. Having to overtake cars isn't exactly a good way to persevere the power train I would think.