2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Richard
Richard

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

Manoah2u wrote:[Overall mileage across the pre-season testing 2015 - Mclaren - Honda, 1751 km

Overall mileage across the pre-season testing 2014 - Red Bull - Renault, 1705 km.
Honda's problem is keeping the engine running. So the relevant stats are:

2015 Honda test mileage = 1 751 km

2014 test mileage:
  • 1. Mercedes, 17 994 km
  • 2. Ferrari, 10 214 km
  • 3. Renault, 8 743 km

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Richard wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:[Overall mileage across the pre-season testing 2015 - Mclaren - Honda, 1751 km

Overall mileage across the pre-season testing 2014 - Red Bull - Renault, 1705 km.

2014 test mileage:
  • 1. Mercedes, 17 994 km
  • 2. Ferrari, 10 214 km
  • 3. Renault, 8 743 km
not really,
these are comparisons of entire engine providers.

People are judging Mclaren. the same happened to RedBull last year.

We're not talking Honda's issues versus Renault's issues here. I'm pointing at RedBull's issues compared to Mclaren's issues.
RedBull was given no chance for Melbourne and did a rabbit out of the hat.
There is no reason Mclaren can't do the same.

Even though Renault as a provider combined has done more mileage in 2014 compared to a single manufacturer in the form of Honda in 2015, RedBull was in a grim situation at the very last day of testing - or so it seemed.

Whilst there is no reasonable reason to assume Mclaren will be performing like a champ come weekend, there is no reason to think they aren't able to do a single lap either.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Richard
Richard

Why does the Mclaren stop working? Because the engine breaks hence the test mileage of the engines is relevant.

Actually RB problems were due to cooling and tight bodywork, they cut holes in the car during testing. They were able to reconfigure the car based on cooling data from the Renault which was based on data from 8743km.

Pieoter
Pieoter

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

Pieoter wrote:http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7258117502

Interesting development
I still don't know how this can work. Sauber just doesn't have the money to race without Ericsson or Nasr and the people banking them aren't going to pay for a 'Test' driver. I understand that vdG wants a F1 ride but if Sauber goes under, it's not like any other team is going to make room for him.

Plus, even if he got to race, it's not like he will be facing a nice, comfortable working environment...

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Manoah2u wrote:
Richard wrote:

2014 test mileage:
  • 1. Mercedes, 17 994 km
  • 2. Ferrari, 10 214 km
  • 3. Renault, 8 743 km
not really,
these are comparisons of entire engine providers.

People are judging Mclaren. the same happened to RedBull last year.

We're not talking Honda's issues versus Renault's issues here. I'm pointing at RedBull's issues compared to Mclaren's issues.
RedBull was given no chance for Melbourne and did a rabbit out of the hat.
There is no reason Mclaren can't do the same.

Even though Renault as a provider combined has done more mileage in 2014 compared to a single manufacturer in the form of Honda in 2015, RedBull was in a grim situation at the very last day of testing - or so it seemed.

Whilst there is no reasonable reason to assume Mclaren will be performing like a champ come weekend, there is no reason to think they aren't able to do a single lap either.
With respect to McLaren, they are not as operationally efficient as Red Bull.

Last year Red Bull was a team coming off the back of 4 consecutive Constructor's and Driver's World Championships. They had the personnel, procedures, technical skills, facilities, money and mindset to overcome their issues as far as was possible. They were also dealing with an engine partner that has years and many championships worth of consistent experience, and had multiple teams worth of data to look at to attempt to correct their issues.

This year McLaren are hoping to come out of a lean period. They haven't looked like winning a race for years. They have the facilities, the money and the mindset to achieve, but I would question their depth in personnel and technical skill. And they are certainly not as procedurally efficient as Red Bull were.

Honda do not have years of experience at their disposal. Yes, they have been a part of the grid at various stages but they have never been ever present and their championship successes are decades in the past. Their recent attempts have been average by F1 standards.

Honda also do not have the luxury of multiple team support, so every problem affects them more extensively than those experienced by Renault last year.

I won't discount the possibility of McLaren 'pulling a rabbit out of the hat', but a realistically good result would be finishing. Points would be the rabbit IMO.

Unc1eM0nty

Richard wrote: 2015 Honda test mileage = 1 751 km

2014 test mileage:
  • 1. Mercedes, 17 994 km
  • 2. Ferrari, 10 214 km
  • 3. Renault, 8 743 km
Merc, Ferrari & Red Bull tested in 2014 AND 2015, you need to add both together to get a true picture :wink:

aral
aral

bdr529 wrote:
gilgen wrote: Oh well, thats it! No point in watching the race then. now , can you tell me this weeks lotto numbers please?
:lol: =D>
What are you going to do now that it's " Official "
place a bet on the outcome????? :lol:

Phil

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
Richard wrote: 2015 Honda test mileage = 1 751 km

2014 test mileage:
  • 1. Mercedes, 17 994 km
  • 2. Ferrari, 10 214 km
  • 3. Renault, 8 743 km
Merc, Ferrari & Red Bull tested in 2014 AND 2015, you need to add both together to get a true picture :wink:
...plus the entire milleage from the 2014 season... that's what Honda is competing against. But in the sense of predicting what an uphill Honda is going to be facing this fri/sat/sun in Australia, I think the comparison to RedBull/Renault quite fascinating and valid. Honda is having trouble and yes, they only have one specific configuration that is giving them data (the McLaren), whereas last year, Renault had 4 teams, each with differing packaging and different outcomes. RedBull also being the "works" team, surely also benefitted from the data gained from mileage the other Renault teams during the 2014 pre-season testing did. So while the RedBull had tight packaging concerns, Renault had information from their other customers to know exactly where and how their PU needed to work on (and at the same time helped RedBull to work around their packaging issues)

So, for McLaren-Honda, I'm also thinking that the rabbit out of the had would be finishing the race at all for them. Points would be exceptional given their testing problems so far.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Harsha
Harsha

This is answer of my friend when we both are chatting about honda to have a turn around yesterday
I dont think Honda will do better because 1st you are saying Renault and Redbull did a big turn around but if you look closely Ferrari is already dismissal in 2014 their engine despite having Better Raw Output with Engine but lack of hybrid meant they couldn't use it for most of lap or consecutive laps. So out of 3 engine manufacturers in 2014
1. Mercedes - Long long ahead when they hit Melbourne in 2014
2. Renault - Who just managed to get ahead of Ferrari and with Redbull one of the best chassis they are able to get P2 in wet and called as big turn around
3. Ferrari - The less the better we talk about in terms of Hybrid.
Categorically Renault made a jump from P3 to P2.
Now why i think Honda can't do that unless they really have solved all their teething issues which they said
the other 3 manufacturers have 1 year of Racing experience to solve the issues certainly they are ahead and also improved their Problematic parts so now if Honda needs to do a RBR kind of turn around They need to beat two improved manufactures with only 1 car running instead of more than 1 which all 3 has to get some data of running to fix issues. Which i see is Very hard to do unless they hold a very big thing up their sleeves

Vasconia

Its it going to rain?

Apart from that I hope that Mclaren can make at least half the race. As I mentioned in the teams post, it could be a good idea to prepare one car to try to end the race at any cost and the other one to show some of the theoretical potential of both the engine and the chasis.

Kovac_
Kovac_

Any of you guys worried we don't have the F1 app yet? I mean the free web application has green/purple/yellow circles and no times. How is that possible?

Chene_Mostert

Kovac_ wrote:Any of you guys worried we don't have the F1 app yet? I mean the free web application has green/purple/yellow circles and no times. How is that possible?
No, not really.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

Kovac_ wrote:Any of you guys worried we don't have the F1 app yet? I mean the free web application has green/purple/yellow circles and no times. How is that possible?
I bought it the last three years and I don't play on getting it. The live timing is nice but I would rather focus on watching the race if I was seeing it live and if I couldn't catch it, I would watch it later without having the details spoiled.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ParkerArt wrote:
Pieoter wrote:http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 7258117502

Interesting development
I still don't know how this can work. Sauber just doesn't have the money to race without Ericsson or Nasr and the people banking them aren't going to pay for a 'Test' driver. I understand that vdG wants a F1 ride but if Sauber goes under, it's not like any other team is going to make room for him.

Plus, even if he got to race, it's not like he will be facing a nice, comfortable working environment...
Either way vdG screws Sauber over completely. Because if he races and ericsson or nasr don't, they'll lose to much money so they'll go into administration; and nobody will be able to run, that would include mr. vanderGarde, too. so it's rather a silly move because it can only go bad like this.
Now if GvdG won't run, he'll be able to act in ways that are either; more money that the sauber team does not have
or lock the garage / block them from participating/whatever which will have them missing the sunday race with severe outcome.
In the meantime, like said in the sauber thread, they can bank money by finishing in the points this weekend. There is a reasonable possibility to do so, because if Mclaren really has the big potential of having 2 DNFs due to reliability issues, that's 2 spots up the field easily. Force India hardly did any testing whilst Sauber has done a lot more. They could be in a more positive position compared to FI. Manor won't be an issue. So only toro rosso and lotus can ruin their party plans.
However, i'm having a hard time believing there will be only 2 DNF's this weekend. Too bad for sauber that they could be the ones getting that DNF.

whatever happens, this weekend will be insane
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"