2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
organic

Re: 2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:18
Is Max going to get a penalty for a practice start infringement? It was noted by the stewards.
Doubt it. When has a practice start infringement in FP ever resulted in a sporting penalty? It'll surely just be a fine

The only recent practice start related incident I can think of was Lewis, Sochi where he encroached the rules twice on the way to the grid on Sunday - quite a different situation
Last edited by organic on 26 Aug 2022, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Quantum

erudite450 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 16:43

Budapest just a few weeks ago...
You're putting that down to tyres? Interesting.
"Interplay of triads"

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:19
Cs98 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:17
RZS10 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:11

To elaborate on what organic wrote since it's always interesting to know where it's coming from (at least to me): It's in the sporting regs 28 PU & 29 RNC and 42 (41 for sprint weekend)

42.3.d)
So shouldn't Leclerc and Bottas then also "start the race from the back of the grid" when you add 15 places for PU and 10 for RNC? Or is it just PU?

Because Sam Collins was saying Leclerc would automatically start ahead of Verstappen with his penalites.
I believe a penalty only counts as "back of the grid" when it exceeds 15 places
Their penalties amount to 25 places combined.

organic

Cs98 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:20
organic wrote:
Cs98 wrote:

So shouldn't Leclerc and Bottas then also "start the race from the back of the grid" when you add 15 places for PU and 10 for RNC? Or is it just PU?

Because Sam Collins was saying Leclerc would automatically start ahead of Verstappen with his penalites.
Their penalties amount to 25 places combined.
Then Sam Collins was wrong, as he often is. Regardless:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Is Max going to get a penalty for a practice start infringement? It was noted by the stewards.
Doubt it. When has a practice start infringement in FP ever resulted in a sporting penalty? It'll surely just be a fine

The only recent practice start related incident I can think of was Lewis, Sochi where he encroached the rules twice on the way to the grid on Sunday - quite a different situation
It begs the question: why have rules if you aren't going to enforce them?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

organic

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:23
organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Punishments should also befit the crime. They have financial punishments for lesser infringements such as speeding in the pitlane. I don't see why they wouldn't view the (clearly minor) start infringement similarly. If they don't (and decide to penalize him with a sporting penalty) then it's a new precedent for practice starts going forward and drivers will become very careful with it

Cs98
Cs98

Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

What rules have been encroached though?

The incident was noted, doesn't mean he broke the rules. That has yet to be determined. From the replay it certainly looked like he was standing in the right spot. Hamilton was like 300m ahead of the designated spot, twice!! :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:

Punishments should also befit the crime. They have financial punishments for lesser infringements such as speeding in the pitlane. I don't see why they wouldn't view the (clearly minor) start infringement similarly. If they don't (and decide to penalize him with a sporting penalty) then it's a new precedent for practice starts going forward and drivers will become very careful with it
I'm not fussed if they do or don't issue a penalty. I'm interested to see if they will or not. I would hope an explanation from either way as I don't really understand what it is they thought was an infringement.

organic

organic wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:11

To elaborate on what organic wrote since it's always interesting to know where it's coming from (at least to me): It's in the sporting regs 28 PU & 29 RNC and 42 (41 for sprint weekend)

42.3.d)

To make this a more complete answer, from the sporting regulations linked above by RZS10:

Should a driver use more Power Unit elements than the numbers prescribed in Article 28.2 of any one of the elements during a Championship, a grid place penalty will be imposed upon him at the first Event during which each additional element is used. Penalties will be applied according to the following table and will be cumulative:

a) The first time an additional element is used: Ten (10) grid place penalty.

b) The next times an additional element is used: Five (5) grid place penalty.

If a driver incurs a penalty exceeding fifteen (15) grid places he will be required to start the race from the back of the starting grid.
Last edited by organic on 26 Aug 2022, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Cs98 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:26
Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:

The incident was noted, doesn't mean he broke the rules. That has yet to be determined. From the replay it certainly looked like he was standing in the right spot. Hamilton was like 300m ahead of the designated spot, twice!! :lol:
Actually, in Sochi there wasn't a properly defined location - that was the thrust of the team's defence. Didn't help them, of course. :lol:

It did result in the RD specifying a location in his notes going forward, however.

yamahasho
yamahasho

What is everyone predicting for best strategies here for the penalized teams, hard tires and go long? Or soft and be fast? Or like Russell stay out as long as you can no matter how slow your are and wait for an incident.

I reckon Mercedes will blunder the strategy by staying in hards only to get caught out by safety incidents or rain. From what I’ve seen softer and faster is always better and should be decided midway through the race to stay or change.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

organic

yamahasho wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:34
What is everyone predicting for best strategies here for the penalized teams, hard tires and go long? Or soft and be fast? Or like Russell stay out as long as you can no matter how slow your are and wait for an incident.

I reckon Mercedes will blunder the strategy by staying in hards only to get caught out by safety incidents or rain. From what I’ve seen softer and faster is always better and should be decided midway through the race to stay or change.
I think staying off the hards is a good call considering the ability for rain to come very quickly and from nowhere at Spa

Cs98
Cs98

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:30
Cs98 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:26
Just_a_fan wrote:

Actually, in Sochi there wasn't a properly defined location - that was the thrust of the team's defence. Didn't help them, of course. :lol:

It did result in the RD specifying a location in his notes going forward, however.
You aren't allowed to stand in the fast lane yet Lewis thought it was appropriate to stand in the the pit exit where cars can go full speed 300m after the pit line. If Max was that far ahead of the designated area he would have been in the middle of Eau Rogue :lol:

Either way, one's a technicality (maybe, we'll see what happens), the other is common sense.

chrisc90

What did max do wrong? From the replay he started behind Russel a car length from the line.

The alpine overtaking over the pit line (allowed) looked more dangerous than anything else

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 18:53
What did max do wrong? From the replay he started behind Russel a car length from the line.

The alpine overtaking over the pit line (allowed) looked more dangerous than anything else
That's the question. What was the infringement? I wonder if it was related to his being over the white line that he was straddling. Or maybe he did his start in front of a car leaving the pits.