COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

3.2 miles/20 corners would be disappointing. I was hoping for close to 4 miles.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

Hope the corners are short flicks on a straight which do not require braking.

I dont quiet like this circuit below, but there are quiet a few fans here.
18 turns in 3.1 mile

One thing that is common in HT circuits (atleast in most) is a hair-pin bend which is someting that was not a common feature of classic circuits. Austin is sure to one or two which is not such a happy feature from drivers point of view.

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

From that diagram, it looks like most (all?) of the passing will be in turn 6. Maybe 13/15? Of course there is the obligatory sharp turn at the end of the straight, which is immediately followed by a sharp turn in the opposite direction, all but guaranteeing there won't be much successful overtaking there. Although, if you can hold on the outside of turn 1, you would have a chance.

godlameroso

That looks like the Portimao circuit, I really hope the Austin track is good, not just for F1 but for all the other racing series as well.
Saishū kōnā

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

That's 'cos it is Portimao!

What is the geography like around Austin? Is it flat as a pancake like Holland, nice and hilly like these here parts or somewhere in between? Would the land allow another Spa (as if Tilke has the imagination!)?

WhiteBlue

Austin will have appr. 35 m of elevation changes which will put it behind Spa and Turkey together with tracks as Brazil. More information emerges.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100825/F1/100829913?
  • 135,000 spectators of which 50,000 will be accomodated in grandstands
  • hoping for 35,000 Mexicans coming to the race
  • four passing zones (bad news IMO) because it means at least four straights followed by slow corner combos. With only 3.2 miles of tracks the straights will be shortish
  • no race date in July or August considered (good news)
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jddh1

Not happy with the possible plans posted above. I really hope they come up with something better. the elevation change is minuscule.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

WhiteBlue wrote:Austin will have appr. 35 m of elevation changes which will put it behind Spa and Turkey together with tracks as Brazil. More information emerges.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100825/F1/100829913?
  • 135,000 spectators of which 50,000 will be accomodated in grandstands
  • hoping for 35,000 Mexicans coming to the race
  • four passing zones (bad news IMO) because it means at least four straights followed by slow corner combos. With only 3.2 miles of tracks the straights will be shortish
  • no race date in July or August considered (good news)
At least it won't be flat as a squashed hedgehog then. There is potential for a good circuit but only 4 passing zones could let it down? Surely all corners should present an opportunity for a pass? I wonder if there is enough of a demand for a capacity of 135,000? Maybe in the first couple of year, but once the novelty wears off I'm not so sure. This is NASCAR territory I believe.

I'm also concerned by the 35,000 Mexicans. I enjoy watching and taking part in a Mexican Wave as much as the next bloke, but I am concerned by the amount of air displaced by the wave. From an experiment conducted in my living room, the amount of draft from one person is negligable. But 35,000 people could present a unique aero challenge.

WhiteBlue

My ideal circuit is still Spa. You have passing opportunities at Les Combes and Bus Stop. This leads to nice long straights and many challenging corners in a 4 mile plus circuit. So for me Austin will be measured against Spa. My next best loved circuit is Turkey. If they can get a track that challenges Turkey I would still be happy. But if they brief Tilke again for a mickey mouse track only to create max visibility I will be angry for the missed opportunity. A race track should foremost be exciting regardless of how many corners a spectator can see. If it is only one good corner so be it. Better than ruining the track to have him watch three bad corners.

ringo

For Sure!!

raymondu999

The hairpin looks like a straight ripoff from Hockenheim
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

Tavo Hellmund wrote:F1 cars should be able to reach a top speed of 200 mph on the track. The cars might be roaring by the grandstand at 180 mph on their way to a tight, uphill corner at Turn 1, one of the highest points on the track. Turn 1 could be the circuit's signature corner and it would also be one of the four designed spots to give drivers their best chance for overtaking. Everybody will pull out and probably go three-wide into that braking turn.

The best way to create overtaking opportunities is with a good straightaway that leads to a turn with more than a 45-degree angle. That's the plan for turns 11, 12 and 20.

In addition, turns 3, 4, 5 and 6 and will be a nod to the Maggots/Becketts section at Silverstone in England, and turns 12, 13, 14 and 15 will have the feel of the Hockenheimring in Germany.

There's also a shout-out to Istanbul Turn 8 in turns 16, 17 and 18. It will be similar to one gigantic turn.
Not too bad actually. It is anti clockwise. The esses should be bloody fast.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 01 Sep 2010, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.

raymondu999

So where was this "specially difficult corner" that Tavo Hellmund mentioned?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

It is the Turkey rip off with turns 16, 17 and 18. It has three apexes while Turkey turn 8 got four. He claims four passing points which I think will be rather three. I do not see turn 20 as such a good opportunity. Turn one may be one due to the width and only on the first lap.

FW17

I have to say the first section is great, glad he took corners from other classic circuits than design his own :lol: :lol:

Wish he had connected turn 12 to 15 rather (with woodcote) than the Hockenheim which ends with a hairpin at 15.

Turn 20 should have been a bit faster as the last section of interlagos.

Other than turn 15 the circuit looks good and fast (too bad there is no banked corner).

I don’t think a hairpin at the beginning of the long 1.2 km straight is going to aid in overtaking in F1 as all the advantage of the faster driver through the first half of the lap is going to be eroded by the hairpin. It might be a passing opportunity into turn 11 but not so much as in turn 12. Tilke has done the same thing at Yas Marina which resulted in no overtaking at the straights.
Last edited by FW17 on 01 Sep 2010, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.