Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Ferrari SF23

gordonthegun

The last 2 flaps join the endplate with an outwhashing geometry:

gordonthegun

The left louvres extend till the groove of the sidepod:

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 20:18
Nah they're the same, engine cover is very different. You can't change the suspension without changing half the car.
Push/pull rods are not the same as suspension arms, you can keep the rocker and damper pick-up points on the chassis and redesign the whole kinematic geometry between them and other elements. Moreover, if Ferrari has the proper suspension arm movement from the perspective of tyre treatment, but had to make changes to ride height stiffness at various vertical loads - it would only make sense to make "internal" suspension changes described above :)

Remember, it was mentioned more than once they have (had?) a hard time finding the right balance with ride height. Too low, they heat up the tyres too much and degradation comes in. Too high, they can't heat up the tyres and lose the pace in the race instantly. I'm sure there were a lot more things involved than that in the issues they had, but the car having too much ride height sensitivity was mentioned a lot.

As much of an RB19 undercut copy-paste as possible with the existing SIS tube position.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

chrstphrln wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 06:34
vorticism wrote:
29 Jun 2023, 23:08
...I think what we're seeing is a slightly different ride height with associated rod displacement. The vertical window looks the same relative to seams.
Edit: compare in these photos. The window is in the same location relative to the checkerboard weave.
https://i.postimg.cc/6qCkCwm1/IMG-2387.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/L6T7SyKf/IMG-2388.jpg
For me it is clearly not.
Just count the squares or look closely at the distance to the bottom parting line of the floor.
It is different.
One and Only wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 12:11
Different floor could result with suspension arm entering it at different spot. Meaning suspension didn't move up, but rather floor moved down.
Layup seams are the same, and the pullrod window intersects them in the same location. (Orange is checkerboard, yellow is twill.) Looks to be not only the same suspension but also the same floor. Note the two angle in the photos Gordon provided are from different angles.

𓄀

gordonthegun

vorticism wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 15:55
chrstphrln wrote:
vorticism wrote:
...I think what we're seeing is a slightly different ride height with associated rod displacement. The vertical window looks the same relative to seams.
Edit: compare in these photos. The window is in the same location relative to the checkerboard weave.
Just count the squares or look closely at the distance to the bottom parting line of the floor.
It is different.
One and Only wrote:
Different floor could result with suspension arm entering it at different spot. Meaning suspension didn't move up, but rather floor moved down.
Layup seams are the same, and the pullrod window intersects them in the same location. (Orange is checkerboard, yellow is twill.) Looks to be not only the same suspension but also the same floor. Note the two angle in the photos Gordon provided are from different angles.

https://i.postimg.cc/L5ywYn0v/IMG-0645-2.jpg
I don't want to be right at all costs - we are here to find the truth - but I think that in your drawing you made a mistake with the position of checkerboard and twill in this race spec.

Only in Spain/Canada spec the line separating checkerboard from twill touches the lower part of the rod hole.
In Austria spec, the checkerboard is present below the rod hole too and consequently the mentioned line doesn't touch the hole, differently from what you drew.
Pics speak for themselves:

Edit:
The seat of the rod hole is different too. In this race it is taller with 2 screws above and below the hole, before it was lower with the screws on the sides.

vorticism

gordonthegun wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 16:59
the checkerboard is present below the rod hole too
It isn't, look closely. Tight weave (twill) ensconcing the lower hemisphere of the obround hole/window in both images. Other features are also identical like the bulge in the diffuser roof topside bulge visible in lower quandrant of both images.
𓄀

gordonthegun

vorticism wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:03
gordonthegun wrote:
the checkerboard is present below the rod hole too
It isn't, look closely. Tight weave (twill) ensconcing the lower hemisphere of the obround hole/window in both images. Other features are also identical like the bulge in the diffuser roof topside bulge visible in lower quandrant of both images.
OK, but the seats of the rod-hole are different: the one of this race is vertical with screws above and below, the other is horizontal with the screws on the sides.
This, apart from the different carbon fiber texture and position, is an element in favour of a raised rod entry.

In any case, I think the only thing to do is to wait for new indubitable photos.

Sevach
Sevach

The undercut is now quite big.

gordonthegun

How could a drawing by Giorgio be missing? :-({|=

christian.falavena

Ferrari SF23

gordonthegun wrote:
vorticism wrote:
chrstphrln wrote:

It is different.
One and Only wrote:

I don't want to be right at all costs - we are here to find the truth - but I think that in your drawing you made a mistake with the position of checkerboard and twill in this race spec.

Only in Spain/Canada spec the line separating checkerboard from twill touches the lower part of the rod hole.
In Austria spec, the checkerboard is present below the rod hole too and consequently the mentioned line doesn't touch the hole, differently from what you drew.
Pics speak for themselves:

Edit:
The seat of the rod hole is different too. In this race it is taller with 2 screws above and below the hole, before it was lower with the screws on the sides.

I think that simply the diffuser has a different configuration so the floor is disposed lower and they had to reshape that part also

vorticism

gordonthegun wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 18:53
OK, but the seats of the rod-hole are different: the one of this race is vertical with screws above and below, the other is horizontal with the screws on the sides.
I can make out the same screw pattern, at 10 and 4 o'clock around the hole. Granted their like 5 pixels in that image. Might be deceiving because the angle is so different; the square panel looks like a rectangle in the other photo, f.e. We're getting a bit long in the tooth now, though. 8)

gordonthegun wrote:
30 Jun 2023, 15:21
The left louvres extend till the groove of the sidepod:
Red Bull Ring is run clockwise. I think they're tuning for yaw conditions.
Last edited by vorticism on 30 Jun 2023, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

Vanja #66

gordonthegun wrote:
You are both correct actually, vorticism is right about the rod position relative to the bottom twill. However, the twill itself is going up higher now, so the rod itself is positioned higher than so far.

Worth noting as well - the diffuser did not change, so that argument (relative position to diffuser is because of diffuser) is not really correct.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun

vorticism wrote:
chrstphrln wrote:
vorticism wrote:
It is different.
One and Only wrote:

I found this one from Austria. It seems you are right #-o =D> :

zioture
zioture