Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Likely or not, the facts are that right now, nothing is set in stone yet. That's my point.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

you asked the question as to wether it would be long term in relation to what Ferrari and RB where doing.

Of course the situations there arent set in stone either but can anyone here see
Webber and Massa in their respective seats beyond 2012? I really cannot.
Therefore if Rosberg is looking at signing an extension beyond next year, he would be doing so knowing that he is removing himself from the vacant seats at both teams.

Therefore you can make an educated guess that the extension will be around 3 years as is the norm. Probably with the caveat of Performance related clauses on both sides if the car or driver dont perform to certain levels.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Yes he has said he is in talks with Mercedes. Yes I agree Webber/Massa probably won't be around in their current seats in 2013. Yes I agree Rosberg would probably stick with Merc until say 2014 or 2015. But however fun speculation is, we can throw around all the likelies and probablies and educated guesses we have; but it will still not be an "is" yet.

i.e. right now; Rosberg has not shown confidence in Merc's future yet. But he has not shown he isn't confident. In fact it's more leaning to he IS confident as he's even in discussions for the long term.

But until the deal is inked then nothing can be said for certain.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yes ray,

For the record this is my opinion and is in now way factual as of yet. :D

Better? :lol:
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

And who bothers what Nico Rosberg says or does, he was hot for 15 minutes at the beginning of 2006,
but now he has problems with matching the pace of an old geezer twice his age?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

Somehow it really looks like Schumacher is learning more than Rosberg .Given the last two years ,Schumacher was taking the flak calm and rocksteady and look how he is getting the better of Rosberg playing the experience card .
Rosberg on the other hand seems to be more interested in maximising his qualy position.
In a ways this is a surprising scenario as one could have imagined that Rosberg would struggle at the beginning to match MS but would be slowly learn every little secret and after two or three years Schumacher would be sent into retirement...

I think Rosberg already has enough of the old gizer and will try his luck at Ferrari.Some guys just don´t know how to manage their career...

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I think it's very evident that Schumacher optimises his car for the race, and Rosberg opts to qualify higher.
Dependant on the race circuit it can suite either choice as is testified by their points tallies.

Although Schumachers is far riskier given the amount of cars he has to overtake... Also testified by the amount of incidents he ha comparable to Rosberg.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

I wonder how you optimize the car to get both pole and win, like Vettel?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

JET - don't forget that if things go to plan; like in Singapore (qualifying wise) Schumacher is only 1 behind Rosberg and is poised to gain a lot in terms of having a better race pace
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Spot on ray.

Schumacher has wisely looked at the long game. This has everything to do with the Pirelli tyre IMO
David Purley

lebesset
lebesset

can I suggest that everyone compares the laps times of rosberg and schu ...absolutely nothing in it , so I fail to understand that rosberg optimises for qualifying

the reason that schu got past rosberg in india was that schu was kept out several laps longer on the faster tyre , and rosberg had a slow pit stop
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

raymondu999

A part of him being able to keep the faster tyre on longer would be due to setup though possibly
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Schumacher optimises his car for the race, given a few tenths away in the process.

even if that isnt the case, he knows if he misses Q3 3 he saves an extra set of tyres or doesnt have to put an extra heat cycle into them. This will pay him pack in the race with his tyres being able to last longer.

And also what Raymondu just posted.
The race set up wont be as hard on the softer tyre.
David Purley

raymondu999

Yeah; like Red Bull have always recently said; they have fundamentally changed their baseline setups to favor race pace; which has been their weakness at times (as opposed to their strength in qualifying)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

munudeges
munudeges

Trying to argue that Schumacher 'optimises' for the race is pretty desperate to be honest and you don't give away the thick end of a second in qualifying to do it. After a mid-season mini-revival he is right back to where he started in the pecking order with Rosberg and it's going to take more than an advantageous pit stop to convince.