COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Zynerji wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 21:02

:lol: Vox! :lol:

Sensational partisanship and proven liars. Surprised any serious person would quote them! :wtf:
I'll give you one vox for one breitbart and we can burn them both to the ground. Deal?

Politics ruins everything

Phil

Zynerji wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 21:00
There is zero evidence that we would be overloaded. It's utter hysterical fantasy. Even the Governor of NY says they are not short.
Sure there is. Look at Spain and Italy. Even if you work on the presumption that a ridiculous small percentage of people who get infected eventually require intensive care, does not require a rocket scientist to do the simple math of exponential spread and a limit of what health institutes can manage. There’s always a threshold. No measures equals uncontrollable exponential increase/spread equals overloaded health institutes equals more death.

It’s that simple.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

turbof1

Zynerji wrote:
Phil wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 20:51
If you are willing to go down that path, what do you think will cause more deaths? COVID19 without a lockdown resulting in overloaded hospitals (and an economy that will cripple as well) or a lockdown with the suggested knock on effects? Are they even quantifiable?
There is zero evidence that we would be overloaded. It's utter hysterical fantasy. Even the Governor of NY says they are not short.
Some hospitals in new york were overloaded to the point of some people dying while waiting to get in the hospital. Those are facts, and basically simple math: there are a limited amount of IC beds available. If not for the lockdowns, the amount of people needing IC would outnumber the available beds. Things have stabilized in NY, but it would be outright false to say that the lockdowns weren't needed.

This will be the ONLY warning, because truth to be told I am normally against trying to shut deniers down. Because they will complain and nag, "I have freedom of speech! You cannot deny me my denying!". In this case I want to make a very clear exception: people who are deliberately out to deny either covid or the consequences of it, will have their posts removed. Because this is not just your silly opinion you are spreading. Some naive people might believe it, go out and aren't careful. They can get infected, and in turn can infect others. Trying to spread dangerous opinions will not be tolerated.

There will be no discussion whatsoever regarding this. You can of course discuss reported numbers, you can discuss methodology. But a hardline delibaritely trying to make covid-19 sound like a common flu, that is not allowed.
#AeroFrodo

strad

It should be obvious to all that the only path that will lead to beating this thing is to abide by the guidelines. We still have so many people that still think they don't have to . We have people out having street parties and gathering in large groups because they want to. Also weddings or birthdays etc. They somehow feel their petty desires are more important. :roll:
I think one of the biggest dangers is people getting bored with self lock down or feeling the battle is over and using that as an excuse to go back to their old ways.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 19:38
I wonder what improvements you think our health care system needs.
Well this sort of thing sucks:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... by7JSyqO0U

Health company cutting medical staff wages during a pandemic.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

strad wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 21:29
It should be obvious to all that the only path that will lead to beating this thing is to abide by the guidelines. We still have so many people that still think they don't have to . We have people out having street parties and gathering in large groups because they want to. Also weddings or birthdays etc. They somehow feel their petty desires are more important. :roll:
I think one of the biggest dangers is people getting bored with self lock down or feeling the battle is over and using that as an excuse to go back to their old ways.
Exactly. It starts with every individual being responsible. It requires some discipline and mental strength. I myself am starting to feel the urge to meet friends and family, to go the malls for whatever stuff that isn't immediately necessary. Lockdown is downright a lowpoint in most people their lifes, but it is necessary. We make personal sacrifices for the common good. So everybody, stay strong. Know that literally billions of people are in that same spot. We need to get through it.
#AeroFrodo

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 21:06
Zynerji wrote:

Sensational partisanship and proven liars. Surprised any serious person would quote them! :wtf:
I'll give you one vox for one breitbart and we can burn them both to the ground. Deal?

Politics ruins everything
Agreed. I'll concede that even blind squirrels find the occasional nuts. . On both sides of the aisle. :twisted:

Wouter

Zynerji wrote:
Phil wrote:
If you are willing to go down that path, what do you think will cause more deaths? COVID19 without a lockdown resulting in overloaded hospitals (and an economy that will cripple as well) or a lockdown with the suggested knock on effects? Are they even quantifiable?
It's utter hysterical fantasy? No shortage?

April 6, 2020 NYTimes

Cathedral of St. John the Divine, Including Crypt, Will Become a Hospital

The Manhattan church, the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, will be able to care for at least 200 patients during the coronavirus outbreak.

The vast interior of the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in Manhattan stood empty on Monday, the thousands of chairs that normally sit beneath its soaring ceiling and stained-glass windows removed to make room for a more grim sight: a coronavirus field hospital.

The cathedral, which describes itself as the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, said on Monday that its 600-foot-long nave and equally large subterranean crypt would be turned into an emergency hospital as part of the fight against the pandemic.

Patients are expected to arrive at the cathedral field hospital by the end of this week or early next week, said James Patterson, its director of facilities and capital projects. He said roughly 400 beds were delivered to the cathedral last week and three tents sat in crates on a loading dock on Monday.

Samaritan’s Purse, a nondenominational evangelical Christian humanitarian organization that built a field hospital in Central Park last month, has also been involved in the hospital in the cathedral, Dean Daniel said.
The Power of Dreams!

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 22:28
Update from Brawn

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LVt4k.html
It's good to hear from F1 as to the official thoughts / plans etc.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 22:44
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Update from Brawn

Unfortunately they have very little credibility remaining, but it is what it is.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 22:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 22:44
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Update from Brawn

Unfortunately they have very little credibility remaining, but it is what it is.
They may have little credibility in some circles, but they are the only ones that can sign off on any plans.

henry

Zynerji wrote:
henry wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 20:54
Another dimension to the pandemic comes from this article on Vox. https://www.vox.com/2020/4/8/21212160/ ... ion-deaths

Essentially it suggests that health problems from PM2.5 pollution exacerbate the symptoms of the virus and lead to more deaths.

Here’s the research paper synopsis. https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/covid-pm
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

nzjrs

Some recent modeling and a nice hypothesis for strategies to come out of lockdown by cycling parts of the population in and out of employment to keep R down.

https://medium.com/@urialonw/adaptive-c ... 00a86b37c7

PlatinumZealot

turbof1 wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 21:18
Zynerji wrote:
Phil wrote:
Some hospitals in new york were overloaded to the point of some people dying while waiting to get in the hospital. Those are facts, and basically simple math: there are a limited amount of IC beds available. If not for the lockdowns, the amount of people needing IC would outnumber the available beds. Things have stabilized in NY, but it would be outright false to say that the lockdowns weren't needed.

This will be the ONLY warning, because truth to be told I am normally against trying to shut deniers down. Because they will complain and nag, "I have freedom of speech! You cannot deny me my denying!". In this case I want to make a very clear exception: people who are deliberately out to deny either covid or the consequences of it, will have their posts removed. Because this is not just your silly opinion you are spreading. Some naive people might believe it, go out and aren't careful. They can get infected, and in turn can infect others. Trying to spread dangerous opinions will not be tolerated.

There will be no discussion whatsoever regarding this. You can of course discuss reported numbers, you can discuss methodology. But a hardline delibaritely trying to make covid-19 sound like a common flu, that is not allowed.
Yes he is a denier. He has been since day one but :shock: :shock: