2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Come on mclaren, this is starting to get worrying. It's as much a PR disaster as it is a testing disaster. It makes it seem that the previous years failures were not solely honda's fault/if at all...only talking about optics here rather than the truth by the way...so frustrating.

cyclon

TankMarvin wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:15
cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:10
Anything official about the stoppage?
ZB: "I love racing. I'm a racer. Let's hope our potential sponsors didn't see that. Did I tell you I love racing?"

EB: "With Honda we never got the chance to deal with non-MGU failures. This is great testing for us"

PP: "Maybe we can make the back of the car even tighter to stop the smoke pouring out..."
That was the best if i may...
"EB: "With Honda we never got the chance to deal with non-MGU failures. This is great testing for us""
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

GhostF1
GhostF1

TankMarvin wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:15
cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:10
Anything official about the stoppage?
ZB: "I love racing. I'm a racer. Let's hope our potential sponsors didn't see that. Did I tell you I love racing?"

EB: "With Honda we never got the chance to deal with non-MGU failures. This is great testing for us"

PP: "Maybe we can make the back of the car even tighter to stop the smoke pouring out..."
Pretty much spot on. The Frenchman will probably defend Renault until the cows come home. I'm foreseeing a lot of Honda deflections through this season from him..

BrunoH
BrunoH

so.. i think its fair to assume by now that the Someone in the Mechanical department in Mclaren need to be fired...

too many mistakes, leaks and strange things like the team does not care to properly do things... its sad, they got major issues.. i guess the next one to blame is the fuel or pirelli, never theyre fault...

Gerhardsa

I think its time for McLaren to bring back Ron Dennis :twisted:
On a serious note. Has there been confirmation? Turbo, oil leak?

Big Tea

BrunoH wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:20
so.. i think its fair to assume by now that the Someone in the Mechanical department in Mclaren need to be fired...

too many mistakes, leaks and strange things like the team does not care to properly do things... its sad, they got major issues.. i guess the next one to blame is the fuel or pirelli, never theyre fault...
If you fire them you lose all that experience, and shame. Keep them on and make sure they remember the mistake and not repeat it. ( unless they should not have bee in that position in the first place, but there is no accounting for politics )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

I am starting to believe that the main root for all misfortunes is the recent obsession with size zero and extreme packaging. They seem to design the other way around, instead of starting with something conservative to baseline and then start to reduce size and packaging, they start with an extreme package and then trying to fix all emerging issues.

cyclon

Gerhardsa wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:23
I think its time for McLaren to bring back Ron Dennis :twisted:
On a serious note. Has there been confirmation? Turbo, oil leak?
Well Renault team is out with gearbox problems ... no mass media effect!

McLaren is out with oil lick (gearbox problems IMHO) mass media hysteria !
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

makecry
makecry

Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:27
I am starting to believe that the main root for all misfortunes is the recent obsession with size zero and extreme packaging. They seem to design the other way around, instead of starting with something conservative to baseline and then start to reduce size and packaging, they start with an extreme package and then trying to fix all emerging issues.

They chose Renault's cooling solution according to them. They decided to go with what Renault advice and didnt do anything radical till they get to know the PU better. It's in one of the McLaren threads as a quote from an interview.

These issues seem more of a careless human errors that are absolutely intolerable.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Hysteria aside - does anyone have any hypotheses on the possible causes of repeated oil leaks? Doesn’t sound like faulty installation — at least not this often. Other Renault powered teams aren’t having this same problem. It’s probably not a design issue since they have done 150+ laps in a day twice now. Any theories?

Big Tea

makecry wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:33
Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:27

They chose Renault's cooling solution according to them. They decided to go with what Renault advice and didnt do anything radical till they get to know the PU better. It's in one of the McLaren threads as a quote from an interview.

These issues seem more of a careless human errors that are absolutely intolerable.
Am I right in assuming the Renault data would apply only to the ICE part? and also be dependent on Mclarens airflow calculations?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

cyclon

12:45 Alonso caused the first red flag of the day when he stopped at Turn 7 with oil spilling from his McLaren-Renault. The team says it's now carrying out an engine change.

2nd engine change in 3 days hmmm
#-o
Last edited by cyclon on 09 Mar 2018, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

bauc

cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:47
12:45 Alonso caused the first red flag of the day when he stopped at Turn 7 with oil spilling from his McLaren-Renault. The team says it's now carrying out an engine change.
It took them 6 hours the last time, so if any hope will will see the car around 4 pm but.. I doubt it. For me, testing is done for them.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

restless
restless

Macklaren wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:37
Hysteria aside - does anyone have any hypotheses on the possible causes of repeated oil leaks? Doesn’t sound like faulty installation — at least not this often. Other Renault powered teams aren’t having this same problem. It’s probably not a design issue since they have done 150+ laps in a day twice now. Any theories?
Its not oil leak. Alonso himself said that engine blew-up, oil leak was result of it

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 01:37
diffuser wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 00:17

The roll hoop is by far the smallest hole and the side pods are pretty small. Both a big part of draggy.
The sidepods are actually pretty damned big at the midpoint when you compare them to most cars, even if the intakes are similar sizes - I'd be surprised if they don't have modified sidepods as part of their upgrade package at Melbourne.

All these people on about heat issues and how Mclaren have gone too far with 'size zero' again make me laugh, the car is huge compared to most of the grid.
The holes act like a parachut ...the rest the air just goes around