Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F138

Has anyone noticed the big bump on the UPS logo?

Blackout

That floor looks very flexible because of the size and shape of the sidepods/bodywork IMO, the latter can't stiffen the floor enough; they're very narrow and forward swept . The little spindles that attach the floor to the engine/gearbox must be too close to the center too...

Forghieri

@Andreas Mouzouris,

Andreas, a little while ago Italian media suggested that Ferrari also had a FRIC system, did you see any signs of that in pictures?
Thanks in advance.
Do you feel you can beat the Red Bulls, either to pole position or the race itself?
Fernando Alonso: "I prefer to beat them on Sunday."

amouzouris

Forghieri wrote:@Andreas Mouzouris,

Andreas, a little while ago Italian media suggested that Ferrari also had a FRIC system, did you see any signs of that in pictures?
Thanks in advance.
No, nothing seems to have changed in terms of suspension

henra
henra

amouzouris wrote:Has anyone noticed the big bump on the UPS logo?
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/837/ff1384.jpg
It looks like they re-shaped the sidepods in front of the exhaust bulges. The underside of the bulge now doesn't seem to point downward so much any more. Before they had a quite pronounced funnel in that area leading to the coke bottle / rear undercut.
I could imagine it is a follow up measure to their previous steepening of the rear flange of the sidepods and exhaust bulges. initially (i.e. during winter testing) the exhaust bulges were higher and not pointing down so steeply. So they are now closer to the initial 'compression' ratio towards the coke bottle albeit a bit lower.
It looks to me as if they want to reduce spillage from the side to the upper side of the bulge by reducing the 'funnel' to the coke bottle.
Could be wrong though and the reason might be something related to packaging.
Last edited by henra on 20 Apr 2013, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

Forghieri

amouzouris wrote:
Forghieri wrote:@Andreas Mouzouris,

Thanks in advance.
No, nothing seems to have changed in terms of suspension
Grazie Andreas!
Do you feel you can beat the Red Bulls, either to pole position or the race itself?
Fernando Alonso: "I prefer to beat them on Sunday."

bhall
bhall

amouzouris wrote:Has anyone noticed the big bump on the UPS logo?
Yep. Someone left the sidepods in the dryer for too long.

(They shrank, especially around the bottom, which is probably the reason for the new row of cooling vents in that area.)

Top: Bahrain
Bottom: China

They've come a loooooong way since the final Barcelona test.

Note the lack of bumps along the top of the exhaust bodywork before it was tightened up. The same thing appears to have happened around the UPS logo this weekend.

Forza

F1 Bahrain GP - Saturday FP3- 20/4/13
Last edited by Forza on 20 Apr 2013, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.

Pilatus

Forza wrote:F1 Bahrain GP - Saturday FP3- 20/4/13
http://imgur.com/WjYUPfC.jpg

Reverted to three-part turning vanes.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Saturday (20.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Redragon

Crucial_Xtreme the shark-mouth is closed, it is on display but closed. So my question still open. If it is not for cooling and it was fully openned only on pre-season tests, what it is used for or what they were testing?

f300v10
f300v10

So they have run with the latest front wing, new sidepod bodywork and the three element turning vanes. It certainly appears that the updatest they are bringing deliver on the track, which is a big change from last year and extremely encouraging for the rest of the year.

Also impressed with the qualifying pace of the F138. Alonso's Q1 lap on the hard was very quick, as was his Q3 lap. I hope the setup continues the trend of better yet race pace, if so Alonso is looking very strong for the race.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

"revised aero package" according to F1.com. Although there's no mention of new sidepods.

Link

Pilatus

Forza wrote:F1 Bahrain GP - Saturday FP3- 20/4/13
http://imgur.com/PK3OSLh.jpg
Absence of "IR cameras" on vertical fins.

Also, revised brake drums/brake cooling in Bahrein.

China:
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 675448.jpg
Radially opened, axially closed.

Bahrein:
http://i.imgur.com/WjYUPfC.jpg
Radially closed, axially opened.

Utilizing "blown hub/blown axle" effect, or just an adaptation to higher ambiental temperatures in Bahrein?

Mr.G

Does this sensor always look like this? Or its something new on the front of it? IIRC it should be some laser sensor for the track (I don't know if it's for measuring of height or temperature), however the front of the sensor looks new for me.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts