Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Re: Red Bull RB6

I did notice on BBC after the race a steward took the nose cone away.

marcush.
marcush.

the front wing flexing is an old hat really ..we discussed this an estimated 30 pages back already here :wink:

as is the rear wing flexing on RB6...

wesley123
wesley123

marcush. wrote:the front wing flexing is an old hat really ..we discussed this an estimated 30 pages back already here :wink:

as is the rear wing flexing on RB6...
It is just well known those flexing front and rear wings, everyon does it. I saw the(I believe williams) Rear wing moving horizontally when on the T-Cam, it is just the same as bending it downwards, such thing reduces the drag. On The williams by moving the rear wing in a quick frequency and on the RBR by flexing, nothing wrong with that when it passes the tests
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

They also took a Ferrari wing and both checked out within spec ..
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85563

dougskullery
dougskullery

Quick question on what is likely an academic point: does the constant-exhaust-flow engine map have to be configured in the garage before going out for a run, or can it be switched to in the middle of a run? If the latter, then is it possible in the last few races of the season we'll see it being used in a few desperate attempts to pick up positions?

myurr
myurr

Just had a thought. It's known that the Red Bull runs at a steeper pitch than, say, the McLaren and appears to be less sensitive to changes in pitch. Would this angle mean that the standard centre section of the front wing would actually produce downforce for them?

WhiteBlue

dougskullery wrote:Quick question on what is likely an academic point: does the constant-exhaust-flow engine map have to be configured in the garage before going out for a run, or can it be switched to in the middle of a run? If the latter, then is it possible in the last few races of the season we'll see it being used in a few desperate attempts to pick up positions?
In Turkey Webber was told by Pilbeam to use the boost button. I see a good probability that the boost button switches the Q3 map. So if they are in trouble in a race I expect the Red Bulls to use this function but moderately due to the fuel waste it causes.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

myurr wrote:Just had a thought. It's known that the Red Bull runs at a steeper pitch than, say, the McLaren and appears to be less sensitive to changes in pitch. Would this angle mean that the standard centre section of the front wing would actually produce downforce for them?
I don't think so. I can only speak from my own experience because i'm not familiar with the regulations for f1 in this type of detail, but when i was racing formula cars there was a specific level that the main plain of the wing had to be which was 0.00 degrees. I know the regulations are pretty strict when it comes to the center of the main plain in f1 but you never know.

dougskullery
dougskullery

WhiteBlue wrote:
dougskullery wrote:Quick question on what is likely an academic point: does the constant-exhaust-flow engine map have to be configured in the garage before going out for a run, or can it be switched to in the middle of a run? If the latter, then is it possible in the last few races of the season we'll see it being used in a few desperate attempts to pick up positions?
In Turkey Webber was told by Pilbeam to use the boost button. I see a good probability that the boost button switches the Q3 map. So if they are in trouble in a race I expect the Red Bulls to use this function but moderately due to the fuel waste it causes.
Not sure about that. I seem to remember Webber was told to use the boost button to defend against Vettel on the straight, where the extra downforce from the EBD wouldn't be much help. (Not to mention the throttle would be fully open anyway.) More likely the boost button switched to a richer fuel mixture.

marcush.
marcush.

err maybe the boost button is turning on extra power map in WOT conditiond but Ignition retard in coast conditions ..I see no reason why a button should not be able to serve a double duty.... that could halfway explain the trouble Vettel ran in the first GP ...maybe the conditions for switch on and off what where not properly programmed for all cases... :roll:

myurr
myurr

dougskullery wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
Not sure about that. I seem to remember Webber was told to use the boost button to defend against Vettel on the straight, where the extra downforce from the EBD wouldn't be much help. (Not to mention the throttle would be fully open anyway.) More likely the boost button switched to a richer fuel mixture.
I was about to reply saying that but then thought about it a bit more. In Q3 they're going to use max revs and max power, so the boost button would use those same settings, but after an overtake you would want the Q3 map to help you under braking and through the next corner so simply using the Q3 map would be beneficial.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

WhiteBlue wrote: In Turkey Webber was told by Pilbeam to use the boost button. I see a good probability that the boost button switches the Q3 map. So if they are in trouble in a race I expect the Red Bulls to use this function but moderately due to the fuel waste it causes.
The 'boost' button is usually referred to as the 'push to pass' button which just overrides any engine mapping settings, e.g. reduced fuel / reduced revs, to allow maximum performance to enable an overtake. The ECU then reverts to the previous setting.

A bit like using the throttle pedal in your road car when you have cruise control activated. It will still accelerate and overtake but when you come off the throttle again it goes back to the previous speed setting.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

raymondu999

Actually, slight correction. The quote is,
Ciaron Pilbeam wrote:Use your overtake button for a boost on the straight
It's the overtake button, for a boost
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Darknight
Darknight

Two things that i noticed during this race related to the RB6:
1. On one of the onboard videos it is very very clear the use of not just a left hand F-Duct, but right hand one as well. Are Redbull running 2 switched systems???
2. In the post race interview, Vettel when asked about his poor start said he let go of the "First Clutch" perfectly. Do they have more than one clutch??? Is this common in current generation F1 cars???

Afterburner

Darknight wrote:Two things that i noticed during this race related to the RB6:
1. On one of the onboard videos it is very very clear the use of not just a left hand F-Duct, but right hand one as well. Are Redbull running 2 switched systems???
2. In the post race interview, Vettel when asked about his poor start said he let go of the "First Clutch" perfectly. Do they have more than one clutch??? Is this common in current generation F1 cars???
It's not recent the use of two clutches in F1 :wink: