Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Roger the knife

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Merc to run short wheelbase at Monaco

"Team boss Ross Brawn said the team "will run our new aero package but we will revert to our previous specification suspension system to allow for the steering lock required around this unique circuit".

WhiteBlue

Massa had a first class seat to compare the McLaren and the Merc at Montmelo. He said that the McLaren went like on rails around the slow corners while the W01 was all over the place and was slipping and sliding without grip and traction. I guess the car isn't capable to make the first two rows in Monaco.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

WhiteBlue wrote:Massa had a first class seat to compare the McLaren and the Merc at Montmelo. He said that the McLaren went like on rails around the slow corners while the W01 was all over the place and was slipping and sliding without grip and traction. I guess the car isn't capable to make the first two rows in Monaco.
The thing that tells merc are screwed this year are the revelations of Button and Massa. AMuS has it that Schumacher was making tiny corrections where Button is flat on the throttle. The car is no good. PERIOD
More could have been done.
David Purley

vealio
vealio

And they won´t do a McLaren this year I guess.
The car has a mechanical design flaw and with all those homologated things like chassis this year, I doubt they can fix it.
I think the problems McLaren experienced last year were easier to fix than what Mercedes has, although Macca were far more off the pace last year at the beginning.

ringo

Merc need to change that nose and the tub area over the splitter. :lol:
The tub cannot be changed, but i think with a crash test the nose can.

I predicted they were going to shield the sides of the nose to mitigate the pressure increase, and they did , similar to force India's new nose cones. Now they need to focus on a complete reshaping of what they are allowed to change.
The diffuser doesn't seem to be as maximised as the redbull or Mclaren, so I think diffuser, floor and underside of the nose is where the improvements lie.
For Sure!!

bill shoe
bill shoe

Roger the knife wrote:Merc to run short wheelbase at Monaco

"Team boss Ross Brawn said the team "will run our new aero package but we will revert to our previous specification suspension system to allow for the steering lock required around this unique circuit".
I stand corrected from my previous prediction about long vs short wheelbase.

I'm guessing they will run lots of rear ballast for qualifying speed and then not worry about the compromised race pace due to fuel C.G. not being aligned with car C.G. As a result I think they could still qualify reasonably well but you will be screwed if you are right behind them at the end of the first lap of the race.

Of course, if the Merc drivers just drifted the car around like Hamilton then they wouldn't need lots of steering lock.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

As a mercedes fan Im truly depressed at whats happening this year.
But I do see light at the end of the tunnel in the shape of Ross Brawn.
My only issue is how could they get the tyres so wrong this year?

Totally off topic but what is the wisom of buying a 17 year old a GSX-R 600?
He has had 5 months experience on a 50cc aprilia and fallen off twice (low speed).
What are his chances on a bike that weighs 160KGs and has 130bhp?
:wtf:
David Purley

djones
djones

So basically they cant fit the bits required onto the 'new' wheelbase so have to go back to the one they know is even worse.

I will honestly be surprised to see a merc in the top 10.

WhiteBlue

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: Totally off topic but what is the wisom of buying a 17 year old a GSX-R 600?
He has had 5 months experience on a 50cc aprilia and fallen off twice (low speed).
What are his chances on a bike that weighs 160KGs and has 130bhp?
:wtf:
Buy a coffin and a plot on the grave yard with the thing. Way too much power for the experience and age.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

My sentiments exactly WB

Rizla blue coffin! Cant see how he will be able to handle the power.
around 500bhp per tonne? just bonkers....

Was thinking how easily could the W01 have the ehaust driven diffuser added to its design?
David Purley

WhiteBlue

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Was thinking how easily could the W01 have the ehaust driven diffuser added to its design?
Not very easy. The RB6 has an elevated gear box and a totally unusual pull rod suspension with the dampers located between gear box and engine. To get the exhaust as low and create lateral space between the gear box and the wheels is almost impossible. They can bin the whole back end.

There may also be a trick suspension of the rear floor which sags with rising temperature from the exhaust.

marcush.
marcush.

to me they are done for this year.
They have not managed to pinpoint and erase the deficiencies of the car ,as it looks at this time.
I see the Montecarlo car really as a result of circumstances with the work they did it was not possible to redo the special wishbones for Loews as well so they decided to switch back to the old wb.
As for the ballast ..it is rather obvious they do not have much to play with anyways as they would have done this all the time before and not resorted to elongating the car to move the cg ...and we have to see that still the merc is not really strong in traction dominated areas...so the weight distribution thing wich is clearly mechanical grip orientated was NOT erasing their slow corner issues....they are back on square one basically and this is explaining the long faces.after the race .Theory and reality did not go together in spain for them.

marcush.
marcush.

quite interesting look at the damper on top of the tub... coilover...

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/bild ... 013&sort=1

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yup,

Some are now coming round to the idea that the exhaust is actually a pivotal reason why the bulls are so quick.
Funny thing is though is that Mercedes Ferrari and McLaren are reported to be talking to each other in terms of what Red Bull have.
I dont think its that blatant but given their superiority, Im not against it! :lol:

Source: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=367690
David Purley

Intego

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Yup,

Some are now coming round to the idea that the exhaust is actually a pivotal reason why the bulls are so quick.
Funny thing is though is that Mercedes Ferrari and McLaren are reported to be talking to each other in terms of what Red Bull have.
I dont think its that blatant but given their superiority, Im not against it! :lol:

Source: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=367690
Sorry, but that's rubbish. That article quotes what the german BILD just wrote and that's - as always - rubbish. Until today I can't understand why
a) people read that crap
b) people believe that crap and
c) newspapers and journalists repeat that crap.

Everyone in this forum is informed better on how the RB exhausts work. BILD wrote "some secrets are disclosed: the rear is extremly slender and low."
Uh, didn't see that secret ...
"The exhaust gas is guided around the car that clever so that the aero gets better."
Ah, that's why the exhausts guide in the DD, to get the gas around the car - or so. :wtf:
They also assume a spy conspiracy without proving anything. On Friday or Saturday Whitmarsh talked to Horner. Is Horner a mole??

They do not understand anything about F1. And if Bild "reveals" something it's
a) not true,
b) well known in the world, except to BILD, or
c) not understood by BILD.

Another proof: That's what BILD thought it would be the illegal slot on McLaren's rear wing. :lol:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules