Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Clew

Re: Ferrari F138

When I look at this years Ferrari-F138 contender, I sometimes think of the Williams "Walrus-Nose' of yester-year

8)
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

tpe
tpe

Yes it does. Although, I sill remember the problems they had under Yaw.

Pierce89

Clew wrote:When I look at this years Ferrari-F138 contender, I sometimes think of the Williams "Walrus-Nose' of yester-year

8)
How? The F138 has a nose that's high,slim and sleek. That's the exact opposite the the walrus Williams.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Clew

I concur, the F138 nose is higher slimmer etc. I'm just reminded of the FW26 wider vertical panels running from the very tip of the nose cone curved down to the horizontal wing.

I'm not suggesting FW26 is same-identical nose cone of F138....they're not even close...but I'm reminded of the similar idea connecting tip of nose to vertical panels

It looks like this year, only the F138 has more carbon fiber material bulking up the vertical panels starting from the very tip of the nose....before the pronounced vertical line down to horizontal wing. The bulked up part, although not curved per say, does present a "connection" between the very tip of the nose to the vertical panels. Other teams vertical panels are recessed back a few centimeters from very tip of nose cones tip.
http://twicsy.com/i/qGrHid
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

This car have a amazing DF level. Alonso made 3 laps with DRS open, and Di Resta didn't have a chance to overtake him. Alonso take the long right hander in S3 with DRS open.

wesley123
wesley123

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:This car have a amazing DF level. Alonso made 3 laps with DRS open, and Di Resta didn't have a chance to overtake him. Alonso take the long right hander in S3 with DRS open.
How can he ever drive that with DRS open when the DRS is regulated to the straight?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

wesley123 wrote:
Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:This car have a amazing DF level. Alonso made 3 laps with DRS open, and Di Resta didn't have a chance to overtake him. Alonso take the long right hander in S3 with DRS open.
How can he ever drive that with DRS open when the DRS is regulated to the straight?
You saw the race? His was clearly broken...

wesley123
wesley123

Nope I havent
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob
beelsebob

It wasn't just open, it was stuck inverted, I'd guess that that was actually creating positive lift, not just losing him downforce.

Goran2812
Goran2812

the actuator they brought to this GP was new, right? looking at pics, it's slimmer and more compact... they need to test it more... so many points lost today... :(
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

joalma

Race Bahrain

Alonso DRS problem

regards

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Actually he wasn't that slow on the laps with DRS open, I wonder why Ferrari didn't just used a low(er) downforce rearwing, as they seem to have clearly enough downforce only from the main plane.

Edit: I'm still impressed that Alonso managed to stay on track AND in front of Rosberg (?) and the others behind him, they should investigate on that and save some drag, lower the rear wing drag as they don't seem to need so much downforce, should help them on the straights.

Redragon

Maybe this accident has helped them after all.

sknguy
sknguy

Has there been any reflection or comments on Massa's two right-rear punctures?

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Sunday (21.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985