Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henra
henra

Re: Ferrari F138

Alonso Fan wrote: yes but vettel had no one behind him for 10 miles!
i'm sure if alonso would have been at the front then not having DRS would be a problem for vettel
Did you notice my smilie?

sucof

Alonso Fan wrote:
sucof wrote:Last time they simply did not change the broken front wing, though it was pretty obvious they should.
This time they did not design a simple lever what could stop the wing at its maximum degree (it might be that with this lever the wing would be able to flip back).
Also they failed to recognize immediately that after closing the broken flap in the pit, Alonso should not try to use it any more.

I think these are a series of really silly errors which can easily cost them the world title and which is not up to the level of a world champion squad. What a shame.
you can easily say that now, but at the time it was an informed decision. What did they know it was going to jam again? the flap was actually open past its designated limit, according to martin brundle, and they thought that if they pushed it back into place it would work within the limit. its easy to criticise them now, but you have to look at the decision at the time it was made.

and Alonso's driving with the DRS open made it look like there was no loss of downforce. he was simply flawless in the race, and that shows his superior skill
No, I am not saying this just now, it was obvious for me after his first pit stop that he shall not use it anymore. Also, if I can see on the TV images that it looks broken it is pretty strange that the team does not see at least so much as anyone at home...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

AutoSport Tech Briefing on how DRS can go wrong and what happened to the F138

Link

Alonso Fan

sucof wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:
sucof wrote:Last time they simply did not change the broken front wing, though it was pretty obvious they should.
This time they did not design a simple lever what could stop the wing at its maximum degree (it might be that with this lever the wing would be able to flip back).
Also they failed to recognize immediately that after closing the broken flap in the pit, Alonso should not try to use it any more.

I think these are a series of really silly errors which can easily cost them the world title and which is not up to the level of a world champion squad. What a shame.
you can easily say that now, but at the time it was an informed decision. What did they know it was going to jam again? the flap was actually open past its designated limit, according to martin brundle, and they thought that if they pushed it back into place it would work within the limit. its easy to criticise them now, but you have to look at the decision at the time it was made.

and Alonso's driving with the DRS open made it look like there was no loss of downforce. he was simply flawless in the race, and that shows his superior skill
No, I am not saying this just now, it was obvious for me after his first pit stop that he shall not use it anymore. Also, if I can see on the TV images that it looks broken it is pretty strange that the team does not see at least so much as anyone at home...
maybe Ferrari thought it might still work. They know how the system works better than anyone, because they designed it for their car.

even so, i say that you apply for a job at Ferrari and sort it out :D
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

henra wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote: yes but vettel had no one behind him for 10 miles!
i'm sure if alonso would have been at the front then not having DRS would be a problem for vettel
Did you notice my smilie?
er, no, i don't think so, sorry
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

sucof

Alonso Fan wrote:maybe Ferrari thought it might still work. They know how the system works better than anyone, because they designed it for their car.

Indeed, that seems the only reason they might have to open it again. Or they did not want to open it but accidentally did.

While I agree that we do not know nothing compared to what they know, and we can only speculate 99% of the time, I still believe that since we are all humans we all make errors and sometimes we can rightfully criticize their decisions, like maybe this one. This does not mean I or anyone would think that we know better. What I wanted to point out is that these errors seems to be repeating this season, and that is pretty bad for their WC chances.

sknguy
sknguy

Alonso Fan wrote:...maybe Ferrari thought it might still work. They know how the system works better than anyone, because they designed it for their car.

Well in hind sight I suppose they could've tried to test DRS in the pits before releasing him too. Provided the DRS controls could be bypassed.

abw

sknguy wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:...maybe Ferrari thought it might still work. They know how the system works better than anyone, because they designed it for their car.

Well in hind sight I suppose they could've tried to test DRS in the pits before releasing him too. Provided the DRS controls could be bypassed.
In hindsight, this would have been the smartest move--test it in the pits (assuming it is, in fact, legal to open the DRS while the car is stationary... the stewards couldn't possibly have a problem with such a test, right?). But even if they'd thought to do the test in the heat of the moment, it might not have proven anything, since forces on the wing flap when sitting still in the pits are different from those when chasing someone down at 190 mph.

Redragon

abw wrote:
sknguy wrote:

In hindsight, this would have been the smartest move--test it in the pits (assuming it is, in fact, legal to open the DRS while the car is stationary... the stewards couldn't possibly have a problem with such a test, right?). But even if they'd thought to do the test in the heat of the moment, it might not have proven anything, since forces on the wing flap when sitting still in the pits are different from those when chasing someone down at 190 mph.
I watched the replay, as I don't know why I have got the impression apart of the forces by running at 190mph the wind could have help for the failure as it was quiet strong at the begining of the race on the main straight, where the failure happen for the first time. When the car stops on second time to fix the wing, the flap close a bit, nearly completely. So yes to test the drs with the car stopped don't think could have tell the team if it was still working or not.

Clew

What sort of reprimand would you instill on the person(s) responsible for FA's failed DSR wing......if you were Stefano Domenicali?
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

radosav
radosav

How would FIA react if Alonso stopped by the pit wall and Ferrari team member put DRS flap back by hand ?

timbo
timbo

radosav wrote:How would FIA react if Alonso stopped by the pit wall and Ferrari team member put DRS flap back by hand ?
Assistance on track is strictly forbidden.

radosav
radosav

timbo wrote:
radosav wrote:How would FIA react if Alonso stopped by the pit wall and Ferrari team member put DRS flap back by hand ?
Assistance on track is strictly forbidden.
OK, Ferrari should wait till the lap before planned pit stop to try if DRS worked, as someone mentioned before, but it is easy to be smart now.

Spankyham

abw wrote:
sknguy wrote:

Redragon wrote:I watched the replay, as I don't know why I have got the impression apart of the forces by running at 190mph the wind could have help for the failure as it was quiet strong at the begining of the race on the main straight, where the failure happen for the first time. When the car stops on second time to fix the wing, the flap close a bit, nearly completely. So yes to test the drs with the car stopped don't think could have tell the team if it was still working or not.
My immediate thought, as he pulled out of the pits after they "fixed" the DRS the first time was that they will test it on his in lap for his next tire stop. That just seemed to make sense to me at the time.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

anon16
anon16

Spankyham wrote:My immediate thought, as he pulled out of the pits after they "fixed" the DRS the first time was that they will test it on his in lap for his next tire stop. That just seemed to make sense to me at the time.
That's all well and good, but it does assume that he's within a second of the car in front on said in lap.